Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent (?) Call for help (inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
TulaneLaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent (?) Call for help (inside)

So I just finished my last last final exam for the year, marking the completion of 2/3 of my legal education. What's the first thing I did to celebrate? Went to clean the car. When I get to the passenger side, I notice my new Lloyds mat (which nobody has ever had their feet on yet), and the carpet underneath it, is completely soaked...

How is this possible you might ask? I'd love to know too. Yesterday there were pretty strong downpours for about 30 minutes where I live. The car windows were completely closed. The doors were completely closed. There is no break at any point in the seals surrounding the doors and the windows. There is absolutely no sign that water touched any part of the doors themselves. The water/soaking wet carpet is completely confined to the passenger footwell, and beneath the passenger seat. Evidently there wasn't enough water for it to get into the fusebox/electrical area behind the passenger toe-panel (I see there is a small lip there, seemingly enclosing it)

I've gone through 6 huge towels already trying to sop up the remaining water...Please, ANYONE, advise me as to how on earth this could have happened. I am the only person that has ever had access to the car, and I am *dead certain* this was not owner-error in any way...But I'd love if you could tell me that it was, so I could put an end to my reeling thoughts... In the meantime, what can I do to minimize any damage? Should I be concerned about mold, now or in the future? Anyone have an approximation for how much it will cost to get new carpeting/padding/ whatever it is I might need to have installed as a replacement? Please tell me this is GM's big-fat-fault somehow. Thanks all. /rant off
Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

DOn't know if this will help.

My vert stays compeltely dry until I wash it with the hose on full blast or when there is a torential down pour. I even adjsuted the window for a tighter seal. You could start with that. IT's fairly easy and there are lots of threads about it here on this forum.

I put plastic bags over the seats and towles over the inside of the doors when it down pours now. Seems to work.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:55 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven the car much recently with the A/C on? There is a drain on the firewall for A/C condensate that can get plugged up, allowing water to drip into the floorboard area. Had it happen on my 2000 coupe, & it fried the BCM.
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like one of the drains under the rear of the engine compartment are clogged. When this happens they say it all drains right into passenger floor board. Do some more research on this as if I remember correctly you can clean them yourself.
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

You didn't mention if you were running your AC or not, but this post will explain one of the more common problems related to AC tubes becoming plugged from debris and you get water running into the floorboards:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=water

Perhaps more likely is you have a leak around the windshield. I remember seeing several posts concerning that problem. The guy having the problem used silcone to seal the windshield and pillar.

Good luck -
Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
TulaneLaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the replies I've already received. Looking into the problem further...headed to the dealership...which is probably a poor decision...but hey, why not.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

For your first step... You need to squeeze the udders
Old 05-05-2006, 03:01 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by rws.1
For your first step... You need to squeeze the udders
There are 5 udders in the engine compartment that can clog with crap. This is what the tray under your wipers drains in to. When they clog, the water can back up inside the passenger compartment. Sticks, pollen, leaves, dryer lint, etc. all kinds of crap gets caught there. You should clean them out at least once per year.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM
GOZ2FST
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SUE THE BASTICHS ! ! !

Old 05-05-2006, 03:08 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
You didn't mention if you were running your AC or not, but this post will explain one of the more common problems related to AC tubes becoming plugged from debris and you get water running into the floorboards:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=water

Perhaps more likely is you have a leak around the windshield. I remember seeing several posts concerning that problem. The guy having the problem used silcone to seal the windshield and pillar.

Good luck -

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent (?) Call for help (inside)

Quick Reply: Urgent (?) Call for help (inside)