Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default C5 Secret's - For Those That Need A Reminder

The following are 'secrets' of the C5.

Many of these came from Forum members over the past several years.

Enjoy!

C5 Secrets:

-The little yellow "helper light" on the bottom of the rear-view mirror that illuminates the shifter area
-That you can put your key in the driver's door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.
-That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.
-The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.
-All of the option codes are in the glove box.
-Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver's door
-The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor
-The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun
-The build sheet is in the front re-bar
-If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.
-You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running)
-Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you've traveled since last starting the engine.
-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
-If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you're buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat.
-Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.
-The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.
-There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment, behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.
-Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.
-If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.
-There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an 'indent' that holds the wheel lock key.
-If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.
-If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock your keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.
-HUD has a shift light for manuals.
-Hold the PAGE button down and it’ll show MPH, hold it down again and it’ll show RPM’s, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH and RPM, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH, RPM, Gas/Oil Pressure or temperature.
-You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)
-You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don't even need key in the ignition.
- You can pull the turn signal lever towards you (away from the window) to allow your lights to ‘flash’ which in turn notifies others in front of you that you are going to pass (must have the fog lamp option for this to work).
-The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.
-When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.
-You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons at once) in the seat memory to run the seat back and steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car with the engine running.
- If you hate DRL’s you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off, or pull the #2 fuse.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:53 PM
almondted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Where is this?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Great Info.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:40 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

I like the Corvette logo built into the plastic trunk shell you can see if the car's on a lift or if you lay down between the mufflers and look up

Also, I ordered mine new, and my name was printed on some of the build stickers on the car (i.e. the head light cover).
Old 05-06-2006, 01:46 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the refresher list. Lots of good stuff in there. I didn't know about the trunk pop with three key turns in the door, but then again, I just use the fob for that anyway. Nice to know though, for whenever the battery in the fob decides to die.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:45 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by almondted

Where is this?
Here is a recent link re this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1384822
Old 05-06-2006, 02:50 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I wish they would make this a Sticky, Dennis. This is priceless information to new members
Old 05-06-2006, 03:25 PM
TA8088
Pro

Neat stuff to know.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:29 PM
01yellowc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

thanks for sharing,that was very nice of you
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 PM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

good info; has been posted many times. probably should be a sticky for those of us who forget things from time to time as the old hard drive gets full .....bub
Old 05-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Stiffy
Instructor

awsome.....Im learning something every day commin here great post x10
Old 05-07-2006, 02:55 PM
ksg32198
Advanced

Awesome info. Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
kinyu
Instructor

Old 05-07-2006, 05:21 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheres the shift light?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
GWurst
Instructor

Thanks! I knew many but not all of those. The parking light odometer thing was definitely new to me.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Secret's - For Those That Need A Reminder

Quick Reply: C5 Secret's - For Those That Need A Reminder