Ti's installed on my '02 vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ti's installed on my '02 vert

Well, I received a thoughtfully packed set of Z06 Ti's fresh off Devnull's recent acquisition (thanks again for the sweet deal, man ) and went and had them installed yesterday.

I need to buy a new floor jack and didn't feel like messing with it since I have an A4, so I took it to my local Midas shop after calling around several others, including the local dealer. The various quotes ranged from $150 to $200. Corvette tax, no question. When I asked the guy who quoted the highest price how long it would take, he said "about an hour". So I said, "you mean to tell me that your hourly labor rate is $200??" He sort of hemmed and hawed and said "Well, no, er, but that's just what we would charge for that particular job."

Another shop wanted me to drive over so they could "see it" first before quoting. No thanks. Midas said "about $120". That seemed acceptable, so I drove over there and watched them do the whole thing. Stock system was removed without cutting and the Ti's went in without any trouble.

I must say though, that this very forum gave me the knowledge to help them figure things out, like how the sway bar would have to be dropped, etc. So thanks to all concerned for the knowledge. When at one point, they were standing around going "we may have to cut the pipe", I was able to say with confidence, "No, you don't. Dozens of guys have done this swap in their driveways. You should be able to pull them out intact." The guys were actually very cool, though, and had a great sense of humor. And they dig working on Corvettes.

Anyway, they're in and they're pretty cool. I'm not noticing as much of a difference in the exhaust note as I might have hoped, and it's going to take awhile for me to get used to the round tips, versus the ovals, which were a nice match to the tail lights, but I'm happy with the weight loss. It was a lot easier than losing 30lbs off my own butt.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 PM
ricoZg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I really like the Ti's on my Z. I think they sound great.

Mike G.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Congrats!..
Old 05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! I'm very pleased with my TIs.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:58 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

damn man, our cars are going to look identical

Do you have a two tone interior or black? mine is 2 tone with tan top
Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

I take back what I said about the exhaust note not living up to my expectations. To the amazement and sheer delight of my 13-year-old son, I had him get behind the wheel and blip the throttle several times, up to about 4-5k RPM while I stood behind the car to really listen.

Man... It sounds great. The sound was a lot more aggressive than I could tell from the driver's seat.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

So THAT's what those things look like all spiffied up! Man, you really got the shine going...

They really look great on the back of your car, and I am very happy that all worked out well with shipping and everything bud. You were very easy to do business with...

So the only question that remains is, how is the son doing with the permagrin after you let him touch the gas???

Oh, and here are the real "before" pics...

Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by devnull
So the only question that remains is, how is the son doing with the permagrin after you let him touch the gas???
I gotta tell you... I think my son looks at me with a whole new appreciation since I bought the C5. He's always loved 'em, ever since he was a little kid. I probably would have felt the same way about my old man had he rolled into the driveway with a C2 or early C3 vert instead of the Oldsmobile Delta 88. My Dad always looked at cars as basic "point A to point B transportation". Not me. Not ever.

Dude, I can't believe the way you let my tips scrape on the concrete like that!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JMc
Dude, I can't believe the way you let my tips scrape on the concrete like that!
Hey now.... It is funny because I thought about putting something under them before I took that pic, but decided that the "ever-so-gentle" approach would do. After looking at the pic, I almost didn't send it to you....

Besides, that is nothing compared to the way they used to drag whilst I pulled wheelies at the track!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by devnull
that is nothing compared to the way they used to drag whilst I pulled wheelies at the track!!!

Whilst? Are you British?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JMc
Whilst? Are you British?
Only when sarcastic.....

Most people that I have never met in person think I am an Indian dude (with a first name like Curry and all).

Fact is I am a white boy living in GA with a Jersey accent (grew up there)....

Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Make it sound even better by doing an A&A exhaust bypass. Less than $100 and sounds great. If you don't know what the A&A bypass do a Search and you'll learn. Great, cheap improvement to what you currently have.

Rick
Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Amar1995
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Make it sound even better by doing an A&A exhaust bypass. Less than $100 and sounds great. If you don't know what the A&A bypass do a Search and you'll learn. Great, cheap improvement to what you currently have.

Rick
I did a search and could not find anything. Could you please tell me where I can find more info on this A&A bypass??
Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looking good on your car.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Love my ti's!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Amar1995
I did a search and could not find anything. Could you please tell me where I can find more info on this A&A bypass??
Thanks,
Nick
Nick, I did a search and from what I can gather, it's a short pipe from A&A Corvette Specialties that's tapered at an angle on both sides that is welded between two holes drilled into the cat back pipe entering the muffler and one of the tubes exiting the muffler, thereby diverting some of the exhaust around the muffler, bypassing it. Apparently, most of this happens during higher pressure situations (i.e. WOT).

Sounds kinda slick, and an ideal mod for cheaply improving stockers, but I think that finding someone who can weld titanium would add quite a bit more to the cost. Plus, wouldn't the bypass tubes also have to be titanium? I would be interested in this mod if it were a practical option, but I don't think it is with the Ti's based on the small amount of research I've done thus far...

Get notified of new replies

To Ti's installed on my '02 vert

Quick Reply: Ti's installed on my '02 vert