valve stem cap material

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 PM
sdef
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Default valve stem cap material

The tire tech who replaced my tires told me not to use metal valve caps since they can ruin the sensor.

For you 2003 AE people what type of caps came with your magnesium rims?

The only info I can find is about the nickel core and aluminum caps.

Anyone know anything about this?

I found the following info

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/TECHLINK/index.htm

1TIP: Do not replace either the cap or the valve with standard parts. This will interfere with the sensor’s ability to transmit.

TIP: The TPM sensor is more precise than consumer-grade tire pressure gauges. It may be necessary to explain this if the customer routinely mis-inflates tires using a gas station gauge.

2-27-2005, 07:24 PM #61
MAJ Z06
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

How to add tire pressure sensors.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Information Addition
A tire pressure monitor (TPM) system is used on Cadillac DeVille, Seville and Chevrolet Corvette. This system was discussed in the November 2000 TechLink. This is a brief review, because there is some new service information available.

Sensors
The sensor, with built-in valve stem, is inserted from the inside of the wheel, through a hole in the rim. It is retained by a nut (4 N.m, 35 lb. in.) and is sealed by a grommet. A lithium battery with a design life of 10 years powers the sensor.

Each sensor is coded differently. This permits the receiver to determine exactly which tire is over or under-inflated.

The sensors are mounted within the well of the rim. It’s important to be careful when using a tire-mounting machine. The sensor could be damaged in two ways: either by (1) direct contact with the machinery or (2) by the bead of the tire as it is forced over the rim.
Sensor ruined by tire mounting equipment

The valve stem cap is made of aluminum and the valve core is nickel-plated to resist corrosion. The end of the stem serves as the sensor’s antenna.

TIP: Do not replace either the cap or the valve with standard parts. This will interfere with the sensor’s ability to transmit.

TIP: The TPM sensor is more precise than consumer-grade tire pressure gauges. It may be necessary to explain this if the customer routinely mis-inflates tires using a gas station gauge.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
OUR97
Pro

I have read all that before and there may be some reason that standard valve caps can't be used. Poor transmission of sensor signal is the usual bs they give. I have replaced mine (Previous Owner lost all 4) with the cheap chrome ones from NAPA and the sensors work fine. So that makes me believe that whoever writes that stuff (GM lawyers) are trying to cover their own a...
If you aren't supposed to use any aftermarket caps, then why do they sell the fancy ones in the catalogs? (Besides to get your $ that is)
I say do what you want and enjoy.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

All I can say is WOW... if the stem serves as the antenna .. what is the antenna designed into the circuit board for??? all those people who removed the stem to band them into their custom wheels are in deep trouble then huh???
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
MTurnbo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stems themselves ARE NOT the antenna. I cut mine off (no... the stems!) and they still work just fine.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by MTurnbo
The stems themselves ARE NOT the antenna. I cut mine off (no... the stems!) and they still work just fine.
I was being sarcastic in my post I know it isn't me but I was just trying it out to see if I could possibly be sarcastic

Originally Posted by Evil=Twin
All I can say is WOW... if the stem serves as the antenna .. what is the antenna designed into the circuit board for??? all those people who removed the stem to band them into their custom wheels are in deep trouble then huh???
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Cart99
Racer

I had a tire tech tell me the same thing about the metal caps -- something about a corrosion problem. But I thought it sounded like
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also got the same BS from the 17 year old tire mounter at Discount Tire. The problem was, when I put the aluminum caps (from the factory) back on, the sensor problems continued. I have replaced one rear sensor (nowhere near 10 years of service --- more BS!), and now the other rear seems to be crapping out.

A re-train with a good sized magnet is usually good for 3 - 6 months.

In fact..... I think I'll put the fancy chrome caps back on.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 AM
C5Vette168
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OUR97
... I have replaced mine (Previous Owner lost all 4) with the cheap chrome ones from NAPA and the sensors work fine. ...
I got some from Pep Boys. I haven't noticed any problems either.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like to me. I've been running chrome caps on mine for years and the sensors work just fine.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Another urban myth!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I was being sarcastic in my post I know it isn't me but I was just trying it out to see if I could possibly be sarcastic

I've noticed you getting more sarcastic in your old age!

I changed the factory plastic valve stem caps with metal ones, never had a problem with the sensor working properly, and it's been about 4 years.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The effort is appreciated ET. The sarcasm was so out of character for you that I assumed your account had been hi-jacked.

Get notified of new replies

To valve stem cap material

Quick Reply: valve stem cap material