Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage flooring question for my corvette....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Vortech C5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Garage flooring question for my corvette....

Hello Everyone,

I have an uneven garage floor so the plastic tiles won't work for me. I was wondering if I can use ceramic tiles for my garage? With ceramic tiles, I would get the look I want and be able to even out my garage floor. My questions are as follows:

Can I drive on the ceramic tiles without it cracking?
Anyone have experience with ceramic tiles in a garage before?

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never tried them on a garage floor, but I don't think this is something you would want to do. Ceramic tile will break fairly easily and I seriously doubt that they would hold up in that type application for very long.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:41 AM
RebelVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, most are not rated for that kind of weight and moisture.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:02 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the tiles..... It'll be just what you wanted.

Just make sure that when you get them installed, they do a "mud~job".

If you don't know what that is, that's when they lay down some semi-dry concrete/sand mixture and level your floor. Then they wet the concrete down a little, and then they lay the tiles into the concrete. When finished, your garage floor will be about 2~3 inches higher than before, but it will be level and the floor will be very strong. (Find an Italian mason, he'll get you hooked up right )

Now if you don't get it done this way, or hire a "shoemaker" to do the job and they use wire lattice and mastic glue, then I agree..... Don't use tiles
Old 05-15-2006, 02:13 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

If you don't have the floor repaired first, ceramic tiles will be worse than the plastic tiles. They'll crack as soon as you drive on them. Have you considered painting? I used Ucoatit over 1 1/2 years ago and it still looks brand new. If you use the flecks in the paint you can alter the density in different areas to hide flaws in your concrete. It makes the garage so easy to clean up and it stays cleaner in the first place, no concrete dust all over your car. I can walk in my garage in white sweat socks (I've done it) and they stay clean. This was the best improvement I've ever made to any garage I've had.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you show any pics of your existing concrete floor? Do you have any weather problems where you live? Freezing? Are you planning on doing it yourself? Any experience?

The cost of ceramic, won't be cheap. Could be done if your existing concrete is not to bad. Do you know how old the concrete is?

All of this would help to know if ceramic is your best choice. There may be several other options. Mark
Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 PM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ceramic or not ?

First, before you put anything on the floor you have to ensure that the concrete is solid. If it is uneven ,they sell a cement floor leveler. It's like liquid cement. you mix it in large containers ( like garbage bins ) then you pour it on your floor. Being runny it flows to all the dips and cracks and levels on its own. Check out your home reno stores. It's not cheep. but really works. Once the floor is level and solid there is no reason why you cannot put down tiles ( use a waterproof adhisive ). Make sure you buy HEAVY load tiles. They use tiles in showrooms no reason why you can't put them in your garage. I live in Montreal area where winters can be -20 at times, and people I know have their garages tiled ( and heated. ). I don't know if you have uni-stones in your area but I have also seen a few people use these in their garage. ( ususally used on driveways and walk ways ). Good luck with the project.. a Vette deserves the best !
Old 05-16-2006, 02:48 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epoxy flooring is the only way to go. Not the one you buy at home depot that comes in a paint can, rather the professional look done by the pros.
There are many places you can buy the good stuff from and do the manual labor yourself and save 50-60% There is a place in San Marcus (No. County San Diego) I can't remember the name off hand but can look it up if your interested. They are knowledgible and give good tips on how to prepare the floor
Old 05-16-2006, 04:34 AM
RebelVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One (well, two) other options to consider, though they are a bit unusual:

1) Cement pool paint - it's very thick and obviously can handle the water load, just want to be sure to wash the bare floor with muriatic acid prior to putting this down.

2) Highway road stipe paint. I've used it for outdoor cement buildings and it holds up well. A little more expensive, but you should get years of low-maintenance wear out of it.

I'm planning on the pool paint next spring, FWIW.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage flooring question for my corvette....

Quick Reply: Garage flooring question for my corvette....