Sponsored by:

Seat belts wet after rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belts wet after rain

I have an '01 Coupe that I bought about 4 months ago. We haven't had much rain here in South Florida since I bought it, so it's hard to know if this is a new problem, or has always been there.

1) My problem: after a good rain, my seat belt (the lap part of the belt that retracts) is wet. I'm not referring to after I drive, so it's not something happening from the bottom of the car. This is happening while my Vette is parked in my driveway. Anybody have this problem? Any ideas on where this water is coming in from, and how I can fix it?

2) Also, when it rains or after washing my Vette, when I open the trunk, water just pours into the trunk "side gulleys" (or what ever you call them), and some of the water comes into the trunk. Any help or ideas to prevent this?

David
Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Originally Posted by yechi7
I have an '01 Coupe that I bought about 4 months ago. We haven't had much rain here in South Florida since I bought it, so it's hard to know if this is a new problem, or has always been there.

1) My problem: after a good rain, my seat belt (the lap part of the belt that retracts) is wet. I'm not referring to after I drive, so it's not something happening from the bottom of the car. This is happening while my Vette is parked in my driveway. Anybody have this problem? Any ideas on where this water is coming in from, and how I can fix it?

2) Also, when it rains or after washing my Vette, when I open the trunk, water just pours into the trunk "side gulleys" (or what ever you call them), and some of the water comes into the trunk. Any help or ideas to prevent this?

David
ttt
Old 05-16-2006, 02:54 AM
yechi7
Instructor

After a Forum search, I found the following:

Condition 6
The floor is wet behind the seat belts.

Cause
The "B" pillar weatherstrip may not be sealed properly.

Correction

Reseal the weatherstrip with the GM sealer.

Condition 8
The floor is wet behind the seat belts (Hardtop/ Z06 only).

Cause

The top corner of the weatherstrip may not be sealed properly.

Correction

Reseal the weatherstrip with the GM sealer.

Condition 9
The floor is wet behind the seat belts or water seems to be entering through the hole in the interior trim panel where the seat belt feeds through.

Cause

The fit where the front edge of the convertible top stowage compartment lid "protector" contacts the rear edge "bulb seal" of the "mucket"*.
* "Mucket" is the term used to refer to each end of the convertible top stowage compartment lid weatherstrip.

The front edge of the stowage lid protector should overhang the stowage lid by approximately 3 mm (0.12 in). That 3 mm (0.12 in) overhang should then firmly contact the bulb seal rear edge of the mucket to complete the seal between the stowage lid and the lower "B" pillar.

Correction

If moving the lid forward or rearward, a 4 mm (0.16 in) gap between the rear of the stowage lid and the front of the trunk lid must be maintained.
Adjust the stowage lid cover downward slightly for more contact.

Condition 9 sounds most like my problem except my Vette is not a convertible. BTW, it's the driver's side belt. I haven't checked the passenger side yet.

Any feedback on any of this?

David
Old 05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
yechi7
Instructor

ttt
Old 05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
garymilgrom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Newbie Idea

Here's my idea - put someone in the car and shut the doors. Get a garden hose and put your thumb over the end to increase the pressure (do NOT use a pressure washer type of unit.) Per the above guidance, shoot the water at the suspect trim panel, weatherstipping etc. This may show you where water is entering the vehicle. Surely it's just a leak and it should be possible to find it.

Regarding the water in your trunk I do not have this on my 2001 coupe. Again, you might try hosing down the (sealed) hatch with someone watching for leaks from the interior.

Just my .02 cents!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:26 PM
ST-rider
Instructor

When you put your roof panel back on be sure the weather stripping on the roof mates correctly with the top of the vertical piece of weather stripping on the door jam (in the upper rear corner on the b-pillar). Sometimes the weather stripping on the door jam will get folded over a little and leave a small gap.
It could also be that your window is not aligned properly and not sealing on the weather stripping. I had that problem.

As for the trunk. My '02 has 2 rubber strips that hang down that are supposed to guide the water into the drain channel. If there's a lot of water you'll have to open the hatch slowly or the water runs past them.

Last edited by ST-rider; 05-16-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 PM
yechi7
Instructor

Originally Posted by ST-rider
When you put your roof panel back on be sure the weather stripping on the roof mates correctly with the top of the vertical piece of weather stripping on the door jam (in the upper rear corner on the b-pillar). Sometimes the weather stripping on the door jam will get folded over a little and leave a small gap.
It could also be that your window is not aligned properly and not sealing on the weather stripping. I had that problem.

As for the trunk. My '02 has 2 rubber strips that hang down that are supposed to guide the water into the drain channel. If there's a lot of water you'll have to open the hatch slowly or the water runs past them.
1) I don't take the roof panel on & off. I did once but I like AC too much. So it does seem to be on properly, so I don't think that's the problem. Nor does it seem to be window related. It looks like the seat belt retractor compartment is getting the water from an area lower down than the window.

2) My '01 also has 2 rubber strips that hang down that are supposed to guide the water into the drain channel. But it seems to overflow the drain channel. I'll try the "open slowly" trick. Are there any aftermarket thingies that might help?

3) Also, after a car wash, I see suds & water when I open the trunk in the area of the trunk liner at the rear. Are there any aftermarket thingies that might help this also?

David

Last edited by yechi7; 05-16-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:08 PM
yechi7
Instructor

ttt
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 PM
yechi7
Instructor

ttt

Anybody home?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:04 PM
ST-rider
Instructor

i don't know of any after market things to help. i get the water & suds after i wash the car too.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belts wet after rain

Quick Reply: Seat belts wet after rain