Sponsored by:

Lambo Doors C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:49 AM
vettvp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambo Doors C5

Has anybody put Lambo doors on a C5? Would you do it again? What did it cost for the install? I bought the kit and plan to have it put on this wed,June 7,2006. I was told by the lambo guys I could put the car back to stock my bodyman says NO? Help...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

do a search for z06-jim. His are done perfectly. I saw his car at the cruise in and was completely amazed! I wouldn't put those doors on my car, but hey its your car, do what you want
Old 06-03-2006, 11:16 AM
MEATHEAD
Racer

Hey I was told by a paint and body man with over 35yrs exp, That the door jams on the vette would be to weak over a short time. I would take his word on it, He could have installed a set for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of people have done it... never seen one in prson though.. but like the look
Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
showvette50th
Racer

I have had no issues.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Vette45
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I have "Lambo" (vertical Doors) on my '99. Been on for about two years, no problems.You can "almost" change back to normal if you wish, but there is a lip that has to be cut off for the doors to work on C-5s. It's not noticeable unless you are looking for it.As far as door jam strength you are applying the same weight to heavier hinges with a little different moment. If you wish ,the doors can be adjusted so you can open them both ways,normal & vertical. That's how mine are set up.
Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 PM
vettvp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette45
I have "Lambo" (vertical Doors) on my '99. Been on for about two years, no problems.You can "almost" change back to normal if you wish, but there is a lip that has to be cut off for the doors to work on C-5s. It's not noticeable unless you are looking for it.As far as door jam strength you are applying the same weight to heavier hinges with a little different moment. If you wish ,the doors can be adjusted so you can open them both ways,normal & vertical. That's how mine are set up.
Good Luck!
Thank you. My bodyman told me to ask folks who did this questions, and bring him your answers, prior to putting this kit on my ride. He wants to make sure I won't go nuts after.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
vettvp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette45
Good Luck!
My bodyman said that lip keeps dirt out & sound. Once you cut it off you can't put it back.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 PM
vettvp
Advanced

Originally Posted by showvette50th
I have had no issues.

Very Fine looking Car. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:50 PM
BAD AZZ C5
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

That car looks pretty hot! Not much for the Lambo look! TO each his own!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the look of lambo doors but I've heard some horror stories about them clipping the fenders/door jams and such... Seen some pretty bad nicks too!! Good luck with the install
Old 06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should find a shop that have done one for the C5.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

Originally Posted by showvette50th
I have had no issues.

Beautiful 50th!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to hear that some people are not experiencing any issues w/ their kits. I have them on mine, and can tell you they are junk. Mine are the official VerticalDoors.com kit , which appear to be the same as everyone else seen in the above threads.

I can attest that your door jam WILL suffer. It has nothing to do w/ the 'strength' of the hinge. The problem is that there is no guide that prevents you from trying to close your door when it's not in the PERFECT closing position. Since it swings up and down, you can attempt to close it at anytime, and therefore, either too high or too low to the perfect closing position. The door latch or jam will suffer if you have your door too low when trying to close it. And your latch will also suffer if your door is too high when trying to close it. And don't believe the BS that there is a 'screw' that you're supposed to adjust to get it in the perfect position. Yes, you can adjust the screw (a tiny 1/4" width screw) , but the screw will NOT prevent you from trying to close it too early (too high position) nor it will prevent you from pushing down too hard on the door , thus it being in a too low position.

Your door latch will hit the fiberglass area of your door panel that surounds the lock interceptor, and over time will make that particular section look ugly. The intercetor lock area is such a tiny opening, you don't have a lot of room for error. It's only about 1/2" of an opening, so you can imagine if your door is just a TINY bit high or low, you will intercept the door instead. You eventually get used to it and become more accurate, nonetheless, there's a learning curve for EACH and every person that gets in your car. Oh, and it's interesting that nobody else has this problem I mentioned, considering that even Vertical Doors themselves admit that this is one of the known caveats of having their system, and advised me that the only way to prevent it is to get used to it so that I will eventually learn the trick. The same goes for even the Factory GT kits; I went to the official California installer for Factory GT (in San Diego) to look at their sample installs and sure enough I see banged up door latch jam areas.

In any case, I enjoy the looks of it.

By the way, the 350z in this pic had his done by an official verticaldoors.com installer, and his has the same 'problem' w/ the doorjam/hitch hitting.

Last edited by vectorz; 06-03-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm still lovin' mine!
Here's some links on the subject:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=Lambo+Doors
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...Vertical+doors
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06-JIM
I'm still lovin' mine!
Jim, good to hear! So you never have mis-close issues?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Vectorz, you're right about the prob with the lock. I am extremly careful with mine, and although this problem has been 100% solved by another forum member here, I do not want to add aligning tabs to the jams of my car. So, I am just careful; in fact, open and close the door for any passenger that ever gets in my car (the gf loves that part)

I'll admit I think the verticle door kit is crap, and am glad I didn't buy that one. I've got the GT Factory kit on mine. I think it came out good, besides, I needed something to go with the supercharged 427 I've got

Get notified of new replies

To Lambo Doors C5

Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 AM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Billy182
Vectorz, you're right about the prob with the lock. I am extremly careful with mine, and although this problem has been 100% solved by another forum member here, I do not want to add aligning tabs to the jams of my car.

WHere?! whERE?! link me please! I'm drooling already!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Billy182
I'll admit I think the verticle door kit is crap, and am glad I didn't buy that one. I've got the GT Factory kit on mine. I think it came out good, besides, I needed something to go with the supercharged 427 I've got
Oh true dat, I forgot to add that the other thing that bothers me about my kit in comparison to the GTFactory, is that my kit WOBBLES in the up position.

I'm not concerned about it falling down, but it wobbles to and fro (sideways; not up and down) when in the up position. Just adds insult to injury. If I HAD to do it over agan (which I wouldn't), I would have chosen the GTFactory for sure, because it does NOT have wobbliness in the up position.

Although, for clarification the GtFactory kit DOES SUFFER the same problem as my kit in regards to the door striker issue.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 AM
vertc51116
Burning Brakes

I have the GTFactory Kit. I love the look. My door Jams are ALL banged up! I open and close the door for almost everyone.. Some have gotten good at it. The previous owner installed them himself and did not re-align the fenders or shave the doors. I took it to a body shop and they told me they did not have time for it. So I am stuck with hanging fenders and it is starting to **** me off, noone wants to fix it...

If you choose to get a vertical door kit from what I have heard The GT Facotry Kit is the better one. And MAKE SURE you have it PROFESSIONALLY intsalled. Good Luck with your decision and possible installation.

Quick Reply: Lambo Doors C5