Unsprung Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Unsprung Weight

I have been reading about unsprung weight and other than the tires and rims/lugnuts etc what else affects it?

Also if I get my Z06 rims chromed how much weight does that ad to the total weight?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6
I have been reading about unsprung weight and other than the tires and rims/lugnuts etc what else affects it?

Also if I get my Z06 rims chromed how much weight does that ad to the total weight?
From this link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

In a ground vehicle with a suspension, the unsprung weight is mass of the suspension, wheels or tracks (as applicable), and other components directly connected to them, rather than supported by the suspension. (The mass of the body and other components supported by the suspension is the sprung mass.) Unsprung weight includes the mass of components such as the wheel spindles, wheel bearings, tires, and a portion of the weight of driveshafts, springs, shock absorbers, and suspension links. If the vehicle's brakes are mounted outboard (i.e., within the wheel), their weight is also part of the unsprung weight.
If I recall correctly I remember that chroming can add around 2 or more pounds per wheel but I'm not certain.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 AM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

I was gonna say 2 lbs per wheel - give or take a little depending on how much wheel you have to be chromed. 97-99 wheels would require a little more chrome than the 00-04 wheels for example due to the larger spokes.

Get notified of new replies

To Unsprung Weight

Quick Reply: Unsprung Weight