Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default STEP 2 of my LED changeover

***EDIT***
i am not responsible for you ordering the wrong bulbs - so don't get mad at me if yours aren't as easy as mine were - i have a 1999 FRC - so those with newer cars - DISASSEMBLE your assemblies prior to ordering to avoid confusion and possibly ordering the wrong parts.
parst list required for this mod -
NEOWEDGE bulbs listed HERE about hals way doen the page (see my picture below)
11-12 total - breakdown of quantities - 4 for the drivers power, 2 for the passenger power, 1 for the trunk release, 1-2 for the active handling/traction control and 3 for the DIC.
194 bulbs HERE i chose the matrix bulbs
3 required (1 for under dash on drivers side, 1 for under passenger side, and 1 for rear "trunk" area on passenger side)

"festoon" bulbs for the rear view mirror (i would speculate that it is the same part in '97, '98, 99 - but can only guarantee it IS in the '99 - and i have no idea about newer - see spdkilz (with the .com) for more information on how HIS mirror already had LEDs inside!
festoon bulbs are HERE
and my preliminary tests show that i will be getting the SUPER STAR
10mm wide x 44mm overall length
- as those suckers are almost BLINDINGLY BRIGHT with a 9 volt abttery hookup - so facing down with the correct 12v tucked in the mirros shoule emit a NICE BLUE GLOW
picture of the festoon bulb in question is

this concludes what i have done so far, and will continue to update this post when i find other LEDs to change out - as now i want to see if i can change the light behind the "dimmer" for the gauges
some may recall my first post of STEP 1 - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1426245

thanks to a little help from several forum members - spdkilz, and SpeedyZ - i have changed the LED bulbs in the door "power" switches, the trunk release and the Active Handling button

contrary to popular belief - the NEO WEDGE bulbs that are half way down THIS page are DIRECT FIT in my '99 - no grinding, no soldering, no resistors, no NOTHING!

i am 2 short - as i need 2 for the drivers door, because i was informed that the active handling and trunk release use the same bulb, so i opted to test those first!

then i'm moving on to the DIC - my '99 only has a right side DIC which i understand are the same bulbs as the power switches, which i also understand is the same bulb as the trunk release, which i also understand is the same bulb as the active handling panel -

FYI - for those that are planning on this - i have found out that there is a POSITIVE and a NEGATIVE to these bulbs - not sure which terminal on each bulb input is + or - but if you reverse them, no harm, i actually found out they were + and - by using a 12v power plug on a spare PC!

a slightly helpful tip i used was to use a SILVER sharpie to mark which side was + that way if they didn't work when put in the car, i would have a point of reference as to which way the bulb was originally inserted - then do the opposite!
no pictures yet - as i did it on my lunch 1/2 hour at work!

Last edited by Togo; 07-11-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Anxious to see pics.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
eec8059
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to do this for awhile as well. What is the part # of the Neo Wedge LEDs for the door? Maybe that'll be a start.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eec8059
I've been wanting to do this for awhile as well. What is the part # of the Neo Wedge LEDs for the door? Maybe that'll be a start.
the neo wedge IS the part number per se.

it's the bulb that is $2.99 ea.
picture here -
Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
eec8059
Racer

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Very

The neo wedge is getting my attention and stirring my interest. No resistor...
Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Togo
some may recall my first post of STEP 1 - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1426245

thanks to a little help from several forum members - spdkilz, and SpeedyZ - i have changed the LED bulbs in the door "power" switches, the trunk release and the Active Handling button

contrary to popular belief - the NEO WEDGE bulbs that are half way down THIS page are DIRECT FIT in my '99 - no grinding, no soldering, no resistors, no NOTHING!

i am 2 short - as i need 2 for the drivers door, because i was informed that the active handling and trunk release use the same bulb, so i opted to test those first!

then i'm moving on to the DIC - my '99 only has a right side DIC which i understand are the same bulbs as the power switches, which i also understand is the same bulb as the trunk release, which i also understand is the same bulb as the active handling panel -

FYI - for those that are planning on this - i have found out that there is a POSITIVE and a NEGATIVE to these bulbs - not sure which terminal on each bulb input is + or - but if you reverse them, no harm, i actually found out they were + and - by using a 12v power plug on a spare PC!

a slightly helpful tip i used was to use a SILVER sharpie to mark which side was + that way if they didn't work when put in the car, i would have a point of reference as to which way the bulb was originally inserted - then do the opposite!
no pictures yet - as i did it on my lunch 1/2 hour at work!
When you say DIRECT FIT...do you have any pictures of the DIRECT FIT? Thats unbelievable! I want to see how these thing plug in! I wanted to do the LED mods but the resistor work was a bit much. Show us PICS! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stealthy4
When you say DIRECT FIT...do you have any pictures of the DIRECT FIT? Thats unbelievable! I want to see how these thing plug in! I wanted to do the LED mods but the resistor work was a bit much. Show us PICS! Thanks!
will do - i guess i can remove one of them and line them up side by side on the counter or something to show you

and when i say direct fit, i mean, UNSCREW the old buld, SCREW IN the new bulb and voila!

i'm gonna wait until it gets dark tonight then snap you guys a few pics - look for them maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning
Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Old 07-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

just to warn you, my digital camera is kind of a piece of crap so here goes

the one with the power "panel" for the door was shakey because i couldn't hold still, but you should get the idea
FYI - the one on the LEFT is the LED - the one in the middle - is the same height at the LED and a tad taller than the one on the right - but as i posted before i i had NO FITMENT ISSUES WHATSOEVER!

heck, while i was at it, i replaced my under dash lights with 194 LED bulbs as well as my drivers side "trunk" (i have an FRC) light with a blue 194 LED as well - FYI also, i have a 1999 (FRC) so for all you guys with newer cars - please use caution and REMOVE YOUR BULBS first before you order -
if you look at SPDKILZ website (just add .com) he has a couple good writeups on how to remove the stuff to replace the bulbs - and HIS mirrors already have LEDs in them - my mirrors have "festoon" bulbs in them, so when i order, it should be a simple replacement - last thing i will be doing is the DIC - as like i mentioned, SPEEDY Z told me they are the same as the ones in the traction control / trunk release

good luck, and post up when you guys finish!

Last edited by Togo; 07-11-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:20 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Thats pretty cool that you can now buy a direct fit replacement for the folks who want to do the LED mod without the soldering effort. I would be wary of these bulbs fitting in the left side of the DIC though. Those bulbs are quite a bit smaller. Looks awsome though.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianWe
Thats pretty cool that you can now buy a direct fit replacement for the folks who want to do the LED mod without the soldering effort. I would be wary of these bulbs fitting in the left side of the DIC though. Those bulbs are quite a bit smaller. Looks awsome though.
luckily for ME - i don't have right side DIC bulbs - so i should be home free with a few replacementsd on the right side.

BrianWe - have you done the LED mods? if so, how many are on the right
side DIC?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Togo,

The right side of the DIC takes 3 bulbs.

-Brian
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Brian, i guess i need to order 5 more (maybe a 6th) as i need 2 for the passenger door power, 3 then for the DIC and i'm gonna try one more for the active handling - as it's pretty dim, i may have it either in the wrong slot or perhaps it needs both filled.

OP edited with breakdown of parts list needed FOR MY 1999 ONLY - your parts list may be different
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Togo,

Put 2 bulbs in the active handling. Unfortunately, it will still be dim, but brighter than with one.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Looking good! I'm going to save this link!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Togo,

Put 2 bulbs in the active handling. Unfortunately, it will still be dim, but brighter than with one.
i am going to order one more when i order the remainders for the DIC, the passenger side controls and the dimmer switch over on the left side of the DIC

Get notified of new replies

To STEP 2 of my LED changeover

Old 07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
keliente
Burning Brakes

Togo,

The right side of the DIC takes 3 bulbs.

-Brian
That is sweet. Does the cluster have to come out to remove that DIC panel?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keliente
That is sweet. Does the cluster have to come out to remove that DIC panel?
i'm about 95% sure that NO, it does not - but spdkilz.com has a great how to for disassembly
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Togo
i'm about 95% sure that NO, it does not - but spdkilz.com has a great how to for disassembly
Sorry. The cluster has to come out to do the job. You can also get some good instructions from Vette Essentials for the bezel install. Round trip is about 2-3 hours if you have never done it before. A tip to make it easier. Unbolt the center console and slide it all the way back without disconnecting the fuel door release. You will be able to wiggle out the radio bezel then. I think this is much easier than reconnecting the fuel door release wire. Also, pay attention to putting the radio bezel back in. There is a small tab at the shifter level on the passenger side that you need to pay attention to. If it is not aligned with care, you will have a gap at the top of the bezel when you put it all back together.

Quick Reply: STEP 2 of my LED changeover