Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal Bulbs Melting Housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Front Turn Signal Bulbs Melting Housing

I was installing my V-Ram and decided to remove the corner housings to access the fog lamps and air duct screws. After removal I noticed that the housing was cracked just opposite of where the lamp socket is installed. Also, the lamp socket is somewhat blackened. I checked my owners manual and it suggests 3157NAK bulbs. I replaced with with 3157/4157NA Sylvania LL bulbs. I noticed there were some 3357 bulbs which looked similar. Has anyone else noticed the lamp housing overheating? I'm also wondering if the 3357 bulbs would work and if they are cooler or will they not fit?

Art
Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Mine did the same.
I replaced mine front turn signal with the clear turn signal
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Many customers have sent these front markers to us for our tint treatment. I've seen them with an aluminum heat shield behind the bulb, and without the heat shield. I can only assume that the earlier C5's did not have the heat shield, and that GM later recognized this burning issue and corrected it "partially" by installing the heat shield on later C5's. I say it's "partially" corrected because you can still see slight heat damage on the markers that have the heat shields, but to a much lesser degree. This is precisely why we won't buy used front markers to treat, and only offer new. Which BTW, can be purchased from Fichtner Chevrolet for about $75.00 per set. We've actually seen them so burned and brittle that you could push your thumb right though the housing. At any rate, it's a very common occurrence.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Turn Signal Bulbs Melting Housing

Quick Reply: Front Turn Signal Bulbs Melting Housing