So I got a Vette.. but..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Taldir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So

dfsfsa

Last edited by Taldir; 08-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
chummmma
Advanced

you can still take the car back...... and find another one.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Taldir
Instructor

Originally Posted by chummmma
you can still take the car back...... and find another one.
I bought it on Saturday - how long do I have to take it back? What exactly do I say? Tell them I found out it has some serious paint work? Like I said.. I'm young and never purchased from a dealer. Just turned 21 a week ago.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Groucho
Drifting

Default Yep...

A lesson many of us have learned in our youth. You see it and you want it NOW ...your brain tells you to buy it before anybody else does! So..you buy a car before its ready and after you pay for it... Unfortunately...once they get your money, they are less interested in helping you.
You should have had the car ready-cleaned and inspected before you give them the $.
Lesson learned?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
HotWheelz
Instructor

Sounds like a rough experince all in all.
I know in Md. you have 3 days to cancel a contract like that but sounds like you are past that.
I am replying here for one main reason. Did you personally call your auto insurance co. about adding the car to your policy?
Not the dealership but you yourself?
My sister in law lives in charlotte NC. She bought a new car from a Honda dlrship and they supposedly called about her car. She never called herself and spoke the Geico reps personally [she never knew she had to as the dealership said they had handled it]. She rear ends someone on the interestate and Geico tells her that her new car was never put on her policy. She has to cough up about $5K to fix her car and is still trying to work things out.
The post is neither a comment about my s-in-law or the comapny but to make sure you have called your insurnace company to get the car covered. NCs laws are a little different than MD as you do not have to have the car insured to drive it. In MD, no insurance and big troubles.

As far as the issues with the dealership, go back and let them know you are unhappy but don't waste time with the salesman, go to the mngr. Probably another deaf ear but worth a shot. tell them if the car isn't ready [ie tires etc as promised] then they can take the car back.
Good luck

BTW
I then ask for a test drive. He said I couldn't test drive it unless we got a loan setup.
You should have walked at this point cause that is a straight lie.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Taldir
Instructor

I called Geico myself. They had me fill out a sheet with the coverages and such before I could take the car off.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Taldir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Groucho
A lesson many of us have learned in our youth. You see it and you want it NOW ...your brain tells you to buy it before anybody else does! So..you buy a car before its ready and after you pay for it... Unfortunately...once they get your money, they are less interested in helping you.
You should have had the car ready-cleaned and inspected before you give them the $.
Lesson learned?
Yes. I learned alot..

I really want the car still - I mean the paint isnt that big of a deal since it was done at a dealer.

I'm calling the original owner tommrow as he left his number in the records.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 PM
0bigGdaddy
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Taldir
Yes. I learned alot..

I really want the car still - I mean the paint isnt that big of a deal since it was done at a dealer.

Good luck with the paint and with the old owner. You will probably have better luck with your paint though.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Taldir
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigGdaddy
Good luck with the paint and with the old owner. You will probably have better luck with your paint though.
I'm not mad at the original owner. I more or less want to know what caused this damage. If the car got keyed or he ran up the side of his garage.. oh well. But if the car got HIT or ran off the road - I have a different opinion.

I'm upset with the dealer who PAINTED the car.. and SOLD me the car.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM
0bigGdaddy
Former Vendor

I'm not mad at the original owner. I more or less want to know what caused this damage. If the car got keyed or he ran up the side of his garage.. oh well. But if the car got HIT or ran off the road - I have a different opinion.

I'm upset with the dealer who PAINTED the car.. and SOLD me the car.
You may get a no answer type response from the previous owner. I know that I would be hestitant to answer any questions from somebody that purchased my previous vehicle from a dealer. I wouldn't know what the caller was up to. Personally, I would focus on fixing the paint. I hope the previous owner is willing to let you know what happened to the vehicle. Best regards
Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Randy Marion sucks. I'd have gone to Morrison Motors before I went to a stealership.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bigGdaddy
You may get a no answer type response from the previous owner. I know that I would be hestitant to answer any questions from somebody that purchased my previous vehicle from a dealer. I wouldn't know what the caller was up to. Personally, I would focus on fixing the paint. I hope the previous owner is willing to let you know what happened to the vehicle. Best regards
Not all owners are like that. I bought my 03 coupe from a Dodge dealership in Dallas, 200 miles away. I managed to find the name and address of the previous owner. I wrote him via snail mail. He returned my letter with a very nice letter giving me details on all mods, including specs on heads and cam work, a dyno sheet and the original window sticker. I have been trying to contact the new owner of my previous 96 vette but have been unable to reach them. I have lots of info and receipts to pass onto them.

In summary, you made some errors by being overly anxious. Keep hounding the dealer to get things done as promised. You may have to escalate to sales manager, then general manager. Just try to be polite and firm as you do. You may be SOL on the paint issue and may just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Good luck,
Larry
Old 07-19-2006, 12:31 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Groucho
Lesson learned?
Oh how true!!! Dealers lie about everything, they coverup and lie some more. It may be worth a few bucks to take the car to a Vette shop and have them look it over then based on what they find make a decision on whether to take the car back. If you do you've got proof that the car was damaged and repaired by them and they kept that info hidden during the sale.
As a matter of fact most everyone lies and deceives the public, don't trust ANYone!!! You gotta be careful even going to a dept. store such as JC Penney's, they've been caught cheating customers on several occasions as well as many other top name stores. So when it comes to YOUR money don't trust ANYONE!

Last edited by pcfred; 07-19-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very sorry to hear that your first buying experience wasn't a good one bud.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Mitch.Shea
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have got screwed when i got my 99 hardtop SAME exact thing happened to me. Look up a post i made about lemon and it will have my horror story. Next time bring a bodyshop guy with you or buy from a member here even if its a 1000 miles away. I would get them to buy it back and start a new search so you dont end up like me because i have not drove my car in 3 months because of this bs.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
DRJJ1
Racer

Default Dude Whats With You

Yes. I learned alot..

HOW OLD ARE YOU YOU SOUND LIKE AN INFANT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT BUYING A CAR BY YOURSELF
Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 AM
0bigGdaddy
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DRJJ1
HOW OLD ARE YOU YOU SOUND LIKE AN INFANT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT BUYING A CAR BY YOURSELF

All caps is yelling. Lets not make CF a bad experience for Taldir as well. It sounds like he has enough to deal with without the non-constructive feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To So I got a Vette.. but..

Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Taldir
Instructor

Originally Posted by DRJJ1

I've never had a bad experiance when purchasing a car before this. I goto a dealership - which I assume would be a better experiance. Turns out I was dead wrong.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 AM
jarsdad1
Drifting

Hang in there. Hopefully all will work out in the end. However, you should read the first paragraph of your original post. EVERYTHING pointed to you toward the dealership's exit door. This dealership was clearly trying to move a car, not give good customer service. Probably won't get much help from them in the future.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
vettephysician
Racer

Default Sorry Taldir

About your bad experience. Do you have a state dept.of consumer affairs where you are? You could file a complaint against this stealership with them. Here in FL., they process your complaint and force the business to respond in a set period of time (by state law). This may shake them up enough to do the right thing for you, which they should have done in the first place. Sometimes, consumer affairs will even mediate the dispute, or could force the dealer to refund your money, take the vehicle back, fine the dealer, or force him to make all the necessary repairs, etc. Good luck.

Quick Reply: So I got a Vette.. but..