Got my first Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 PM
hellotbone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my first Ticket!

Greetings lads,
My first post here in the forums after joining had my 04 C5 for about a month now. I live in Ontario so as some of you know the front licence plates are required. I took delivery of my car with no front plate installed and never worried about it until today I learned its required. Nice cop to pulled in behind me when I pulled into my parking lot for work! Its my office to and all my employee's are standing outside watching. Anyways its a nice fine of 110.00 which ofcourse I will protest I was delivered the car that way I had no idea. Anyways I have the plate on there now and it looks ugly as sin so I had to order from the site here the trim piece for the front around the plate.

Just thougth I would share my first experience with you guys. Im sure it had nothing to do at all with me being a younger guy driving a sports car what so ever.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ticket. But, welcome to the Forum!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Welcome and join the club of Front Plate Haters. Like the Great White North, Texas requires them too.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by hellotbone
Anyways its a nice fine of 110.00 which ofcourse I will protest I was delivered the car that way I had no idea.
Having "no idea" a front plate is required is paramount to receiving a speeding ticket and telling the judge he can't find you guilty because you didn't know what the speed limit was. I think it falls under the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" statute.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by hellotbone
Greetings lads,
My first post here in the forums after joining had my 04 C5 for about a month now. I live in Ontario so as some of you know the front licence plates are required. I took delivery of my car with no front plate installed and never worried about it until today I learned its required. Nice cop to pulled in behind me when I pulled into my parking lot for work! Its my office to and all my employee's are standing outside watching. Anyways its a nice fine of 110.00 which ofcourse I will protest I was delivered the car that way I had no idea. Anyways I have the plate on there now and it looks ugly as sin so I had to order from the site here the trim piece for the front around the plate.

Just thougth I would share my first experience with you guys. Im sure it had nothing to do at all with me being a younger guy driving a sports car what so ever.
Take a pic of your front tag on and show the judge and tell him there was no u shaped bracket for a front plate when you got the car but as soon as the cop gave you a ticket you went to the cheby dealer and got a bracket and are now complying with the law .Tell him you have always been a law abiding citizen....don't give him the "I didn't know it was required story"...he will(should) dismiss your case....

And BTW...congrats on the '04 and welcome to the CorvetteForum...

Last edited by Yello95; 07-19-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:14 PM
BeastieBoys21
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

welcome to the forum
Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I dislike the front plates as well. I am glad they are not required here in Florida.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by sxe60
Welcome and join the club of Front Plate Haters. Like the Great White North, Texas requires them too.
Front plates =
Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by sxe60
I keep my front plate under pass. floor mat,if i need it i just pull it out and place it on the dash.Never had to do this yet but at least thats my plan.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
vettephysician
Racer

Default Amen to That

Originally Posted by C5naples
Welcome to the forum. I dislike the front plates as well. I am glad they are not required here in Florida.
Couldn't agree more C5Naples. Sticking a front plate on there disrupts the flow of the front end lines, IMHO. BTW, that Canadian cop that gave him the ticket sounds like a real azzhole.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrayC5
Sorry to hear about the ticket. But, welcome to the Forum!

One of the reasons I love PA is NO FRONT PLATE!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
0bigGdaddy
Former Vendor

front plate on a truck is one thing but a vette , a true fashion fubar. It should only be required on trucks, vans, tuner cars, mustangs, lambos, .........
Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
I keep my front plate under pass. floor mat,if i need it i just pull it out and place it on the dash.Never had to do this yet but at least thats my plan.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news John Michael Henry but your plan won't fly. If a cop wants to ticket you for no front plate, he can because it's improperly displayed. Just letting you know that putting it on your dash is no better than under the floor mat. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 AM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

I found a little trick that allows me to get away with no front plate on both of the sports cars. I have a C5 and an M3 and i hate the front plate on both. So i have a place in florida where i originally registered both cars. But the insurance is horrid. It cost 1800 a year for florida. So Allstate insurance let me insure them in NY but leave the Florida plate on. NO plate needed in florida, so i never get bothered by cops. Plus it's kinda cool to have the florida plate on in NY.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Welcome to the forum - sorry about the ticket. Good luck with your protest of the ticket.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I got my first ticket in the Vette couple ngihts ago too!
Though, It was a speeding ticket (lost that bet with the gf)

Its also mandatory here in BC for the front plate, I havent put it on yet and have passed many a cop, so far, so good (knock on wood).
I hate seeing all these Albertans driving round here with their one plate too

I better go look for my other plate, not to sure where i put it now.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 AM
hellotbone
Racer

Thanks for all the support guys! I ordered the trim piece from the store on this site. I was pretty angry and I will just take a picture with me to court showing my obligation to the law and should be good to go. Its funny I have been driving my truck and my tuner car (yes I saw the light) before the vette for 2 years no troubles. I think its the young guy in the vette syndrome.

I was a full tuner guy until I just realized one day you sink all that money into something that's unreliable and still nothing when your done. Buy a vette its fast stock and always worth something. I did on a side note have a TSi AWD eagle talon running 11 seconds on pump fuel so it wasn't anything to knock around. However the TQ on the vette is where its at.

Get notified of new replies

To Got my first Ticket!

Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Vettman 1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was backed into a parking spot at Starbuck's waiting for the wife to return with her mocha (cold) I had the top down as it was 80+. Two of California's finest CHIP's pulled in directly across from me, parked and started walking back towards me (and my front plateless convertible) They both smiled and said I was going to have to spend more time polishing and detailing my 'Vette It's mag. red and always looks like it just came out of the detail shop. I thought for sure they were going to remark about the lack of a front plate but it's not a real high priority for some officers. My argument is why are they not required on motorcycles?? In Ca. many areas are installing the red light cameras, hence the need for a front plate.
I think you'd get a better break from the judge by being honest. Tell him it louses up the appearance of a beautifully designed car. I'm sure they've heard every excuse for not having the plate installed many times over, and over. It migh impress him/her to hear something refreshing and different !!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
jinxxman1
Racer

I think you'd get a better break from the judge by being honest. Tell him it louses up the appearance of a beautifully designed car. I'm sure they've heard every excuse for not having the plate installed many times over, and over. It migh impress him/her to hear something refreshing and different !!
I doubt it, the judge may think you are some jerkoff with a better than you attitude "I have a vette, I can do what I want". You didnt have it, and you should have. If you got a ticket, just pay it and either put on the front plate or leave it off and take your chances (which is what I have done and do). Arguing in traffic court is pretty pointless in my opinion, it generates too much revenue to go in the favor of the accused.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 AM
vettephysician
Racer

Default Excellent

Originally Posted by SearayC5
I found a little trick that allows me to get away with no front plate on both of the sports cars. I have a C5 and an M3 and i hate the front plate on both. So i have a place in florida where i originally registered both cars. But the insurance is horrid. It cost 1800 a year for florida. So Allstate insurance let me insure them in NY but leave the Florida plate on. NO plate needed in florida, so i never get bothered by cops. Plus it's kinda cool to have the florida plate on in NY.
Sneaky, Searay, very sneaky, but cool. Whatever works.

Quick Reply: Got my first Ticket!