Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Going To Install C6 Z06 Shifter Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Going To Install C6 Z06 Shifter Today!!!

My C6 Z Shifter is getting delivered today, courtesy of Fred Beans. I've got some install instructions for a Hurst Shifter, should be the same. Up to the shifter itself. I've heard there's a pin you have to push in on the shifter to get set the nuetral position. I just need the details so i don't have to redo it. Plus i've heard of some guys that have problems going into 1st gear. Thanks for the info!!!

Jason
Old 08-14-2006, 05:40 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Patches did an excellent job of documenting his install of the C6 shifter....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=c6+shifter
Old 08-14-2006, 06:02 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Thanks! That thread says it all.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Patches did an excellent job of documenting his install of the C6 shifter....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=c6+shifter

Excellent write-up!! I'll be doing the swap soon - My new shifter arrived the other day..

The only thing I wonder about is this statement..

Then I bolted the C6 shifter in. It was a perfect fit. After it was securely bolted in, I pulled the neutral adjusting pin up to free the shifter movement.

What "pin" is he talking about??
Old 09-29-2006, 08:05 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh the demon key....i fought that little bugger for 3 hours. had to drill it conmpletly out of the ****
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 PM
dajael

Originally Posted by JB666
Excellent write-up!! I'll be doing the swap soon - My new shifter arrived the other day..

The only thing I wonder about is this statement..

Then I bolted the C6 shifter in. It was a perfect fit. After it was securely bolted in, I pulled the neutral adjusting pin up to free the shifter movement.

What "pin" is he talking about??

It's not the "demon key" as stated above...you'll see what it is when you get it. It just locks the shifter in a neutral position until you are ready to install/use it. Not a big deal. The "demon key" is a pin that sits under the shift pattern tab of the stock shifter that must be removed to pull the **** off...can be a royal PITA sometimes.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dajael
It's not the "demon key" as stated above...you'll see what it is when you get it. It just locks the shifter in a neutral position until you are ready to install/use it. Not a big deal. The "demon key" is a pin that sits under the shift pattern tab of the stock shifter that must be removed to pull the **** off...can be a royal PITA sometimes.

Thanks. I know all about the demon key (swapped my shifter **** 3-4 times). It's the pin that was concerning me.. Where is it located on the new assembly??
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

See that silver 90 deg. pin in the front of the shifter base in the above photo? That is the neutral adjusting pin. On a new shifter, it comes in the down position and keeps the shifter from moving out of the neutral position so you can install the shifter with the linkage clamp centered on the shift rod that goes to the tranny. That helps keep the shifter centered until it's bolted in so each gear can be properly engaged in the correct shifter position. Once the shifter is bolted in and the rod clamp is tightened, the pin is pulled upward to allow the shifter to operate throughout it's normal range of motion.

It's also used to re-center the shifter if it becomes out of adjustment over time or if the shifter is removed for maintenance/repair.

Last edited by Patches; 09-29-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:26 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patches

See that silver 90 deg. pin in the front of the shifter base in the above photo? That is the neutral adjusting pin. On a new shifter, it comes in the down position and keeps the shifter from moving out of the neutral position so you can install the shifter with the linkage clamp centered on the shift rod that goes to the tranny. That helps keep the shifter centered until it's bolted in so each gear can be properly engaged in the correct shifter position. Once the shifter is bolted in and the rod clamp is tightened, the pin is pulled upward to allow the shifter to operate throughout it's normal range of motion.

It's also used to re-center the shifter if it becomes out of adjustment over time or if the shifter is removed for maintenance/repair.

Great - Thank you!! I just printed out your 27 page "Hurst C5 Shifter Install" for reference.

Last stupid question - This pin stays on the shifter, right? I just pull it up but leave it there?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Yup.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
TA8088
Pro

Originally Posted by 02gt350
ahh the demon key....i fought that little bugger for 3 hours. had to drill it conmpletly out of the ****
That sucks WKMCD installed my shifter for me and no joke it took longer to take the shift pattern cap off than it took to get the demon key out.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:38 AM
MY5THVET
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02gt350
I fought the demon as well, the key atarted to chip instaed of coming out, so I drilled a small hole in the center and pulled it out with my dent puller...quick and easy![IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

In reference to the demon key, I attached a pair of needle nosed vise grips to it, then tapped upwards and it came out without much difficulty. Some of the other methods described seem rather severe and I would think unnecessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help! Going To Install C6 Z06 Shifter Today!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help! Going To Install C6 Z06 Shifter Today!!!