Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber targa top

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:33 AM
soggysailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon fiber targa top

I've seen quite a few after market carbon fiber hoods for the C5. Does anyone make a carbon fiber targa top?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

yup
Old 08-17-2006, 01:39 AM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
yup
Old 08-17-2006, 12:37 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the pictures the cf roof looks sweet and very unique. I don't think too many other vettes would have this, definitely a show piece if the cf quality is good. I saw the roof on ebay. Search corvette carbon fiber roof and it should come up. Good Luck and if you get it pleeease post some good pics.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I saw a couple on ebay last month. None today though.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just checked ebay and there is one for sale

Item# 330012072224
Old 08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
casisthefirst
Pro

If its the only carbon fiber piece you have on the car then it doesnt work, i dunno just my opinon
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look again on ebay. These tops are normally there. Again I just searched Corvette carbon fiber topin ebay and found the two tops that are normally posted.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

I saw those up on ebay today. Interesting thing is that they use GM hardware and frame. Probably just a layer of carbon bonded over the SMC. No real benefit in weight or rigidity. Just aesthetics.

We are exploring making a structural carbon roof panel at about 1/2 the weight that you bolt in. Think there is a market out there for something like that? The process would be reversable in case you ever wanted to put the stock or glass roof in.

Thoughts anyone? You guys are our target market.

thanks,

Aaron
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Nfw
Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
I saw those up on ebay today. Interesting thing is that they use GM hardware and frame. Probably just a layer of carbon bonded over the SMC. No real benefit in weight or rigidity. Just aesthetics.

We are exploring making a structural carbon roof panel at about 1/2 the weight that you bolt in. Think there is a market out there for something like that? The process would be reversable in case you ever wanted to put the stock or glass roof in.

Thoughts anyone? You guys are our target market.

thanks,

Aaron
To be honest with you, I don't know how it would have looked on my car. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on one and be disapointed with the look. The stock C5 top is fairly light as it is.

I would be more interested in some nice CF interior and/or underhood pieces.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the feedback. It alsways helps to know what you guys are thinking about and looking to get for your car.

The look of a CF roof might be a little odd on a car that isn't black or dark to begin with. Hard to know.

Our plan is to build something that provides additional rigidity to the chassis for Autocross or DE and is significantly lighter. I am calculating that we can cut the weight in half over the stock piece.

-Aaron
Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

The look of a CF roof might be a little odd on a car that isn't black or dark to begin with. Hard to know.

-Aaron
my car is torch and it looks pretty good with the smoked glasstop on.

the black glasstop looks good on most all colored vettes so a dark CF top shouldn't look too out of place on a colored car.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
PARTS DESTROYER
Instructor

Originally Posted by pewter99
Nfw
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM
slverc5
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the feedback. It alsways helps to know what you guys are thinking about and looking to get for your car.

Our plan is to build something that provides additional rigidity to the chassis for Autocross or DE and is significantly lighter. I am calculating that we can cut the weight in half over the stock piece.

-Aaron
Wow. A 10+ pound roof, that's really light. Albeit it's going to be expensive too yes? I'm pretty sure that if you make them-someone will buy them.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Red3644
Instructor

Default Carbon fiber roof

AutoCross or DE...you're playing to a small audience in this Corvette
community. Cosmetic mods like engine compartment and interior panels generate far more interest than pure performance items.
Am I correct thinking your panel would be a bolt in unit something like
a C4 roof. That would make the most of the rigidity factor of the panel. Hope it works out.
M
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Astro tops out of Texas advertises carbon fiber tops for the C5. Their ads are in all the Corvette magazines that I have looked at.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon fiber targa top

Old 08-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

-Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Your idea peaked my interest. I have an electron blue coupe with a dark lexan top and I love the look, a carbon fiber top would look very similar to what my vette looks like now.

I was wondering though, you mentioned that you are exploring making a structural carbon roof panel at about 1/2 the weight that you bolt in. I wonder if its possible to still keep a lexan skin on the top. I take the top off at most 5 or 6 times a year so a bolt on top would not be a problem since I hardly take the top off as it is, but I have gotten used to being able to look up at the sky from the driver's seat and to enjoy the sunlight coming in. I would definitely buy a lexan top with a carbon fiber frame, even if you have to bolt it on and off. As long as its well built, has a noticeable weight difference from stock and isn't insanely priced ( it reasonable that it'll be more expensive that a standard top bought from GM), I would definitely buy one.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that dress-up pieces appeal to a broader audience, but that is not what we build. The DE/autocross/race market is actually getting pretty big and a lot of people seem interested in actual preformance. The sales of our sways and coil overs has been brisk. We hope to reach that market with more well engineered functional parts that make a performance difference.

The lexan cover over a cf frame is an idea we hadn't consdered. Should be do-able. We'll give it some thought.

Cost is an issue any time that real carbon fiber is in play. Most of the available supply is being used by the commercial airline industry. The cost is going up as you would expect. I'm getting target pricing and production times right now. I'll be sure to get some pictures up as we get prototypes.

later,
Aaron
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that dress-up pieces appeal to a broader audience, but that is not what we build. The DE/autocross/race market is actually getting pretty big and a lot of people seem interested in actual preformance. The sales of our sways and coil overs has been brisk. We hope to reach that market with more well engineered functional parts that make a performance difference.

The lexan cover over a cf frame is an idea we hadn't consdered. Should be do-able. We'll give it some thought.

Cost is an issue any time that real carbon fiber is in play. Most of the available supply is being used by the commercial airline industry. The cost is going up as you would expect. I'm getting target pricing and production times right now. I'll be sure to get some pictures up as we get prototypes.

later,
Aaron
Can I get a cut of the profits since I came up with the idea??

Seriously though, keep us posted on the progress. I would definitely be interested in one with a lexan top over a CF frame and I'm sure alot of other people would as well. Good luck with the project.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber targa top