Sponsored by:

Photo blocker spray as seen in magazines

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Photo blocker spray as seen in magazines

Have you guys ever seen the ad in the back of Motor Trend magazine for PhotoBlocker spray that prevents Speed enforcement cameras or other "toll collection cameras" on bridges from taking reconizable pictures of your license plates? The ad says it's 100% legal to use. That's the catch phrase, because the crap don't work. It's $29 per can and $8.00 for shipping, the biggest rip off for clear spray. I't doesn't do jack at all. I sprayed on a glossy coat and let dry 4 times, that makes 4 heavy coats of paint. I then took a flash photo and it was a big zilch.... I could see the numbers just as good as before.

Save your time and money. It's legal because it don't work.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 PM
TonyC5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you spent the $ but glad you told us...

Can you send it back for a refund?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 PM
vettes4fun
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I see the problem you got the clear spray and you needed the black spray. Thanks for the heads up on it those.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Malice 1
Instructor

thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about buying some.

Did you try it at an angle from 30 yards with the flash on?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Good to know!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Also consider that it does nothing during daylight hours!!!!!!!!
Don't ask how I know that:o

Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Mr.DJ
Pro

Originally Posted by vettes4fun
I see the problem you got the clear spray and you needed the black spray. Thanks for the heads up on it those.
...heh...heh.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:53 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If detected it's illegal in Oklahoma. Don't know how they could detect it but there was a news story on the CBS affiliate here and it seems that it works.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I'm glad that crap doesn't work and that people get scammed buying products designed to help them run red lights, speed with impunity or jack toll road collections. No need for expensive creams or concealers. Just drive with common sense and try to obey the law more often than not.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMc
Personally, I'm glad that crap doesn't work and that people get scammed buying products designed to help them run red lights, speed with impunity or jack toll road collections. No need for expensive creams or concealers. Just drive with common sense and try to obey the law more often than not.

Well, I din't even think about running a red light. I accidentally drove into the fast track lane where you supposed to have an electronic transponder that charges your credit card a fee for crossing the bridge, I stopped when I realized that I went into the wrong lane, I pulled over and returned to the bridge office to pay the 5 dollars to cross the bridge, and they told me that's too bad, you automatically get a $30.00 ticket sent to your house....no acceptions, no chance to explain or pay. Yes, I'm glad to know that you personally think that I'm running redlights. I rearely cross the Golden gate bridge because they over charge, so it was a total mistake, but I'm sure it makes no differece to you. You should make a good cop.

HID (high intensity driver)...means you obey all the laws?

Last edited by Scubanme; 08-24-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
casisthefirst
Pro

Originally Posted by Scubanme
Well, I din't even think about running a red light. I accidentally drove into the fast track lane where you supposed to have an electronic transponder that charges your credit card a fee for crossing the bridge, I stopped when I realized that I went into the wrong lane, I pulled over and returned to the bridge office to pay the 5 dollars to cross the bridge, and they told me that's too bad, you automatically get a $30.00 ticket sent to your house....no acceptions, no chance to explain or pay. Yes, I'm glad to know that you personally think that I'm running redlights. I rearely cross the Golden gate bridge because they over charge, so it was a total mistake, but I'm sure it makes no differece to you. You should make a good cop.

Assuming the only reason for buying such products is to run red lights is a
I once got stuck in an intersection for a fraction of a second, enough to get a picture taken, all because the guy in front of me stalled, he had already passed the intersection, but I got the ticket

If I were to make a product, I'd create an electric licence plate frame that would roll over by the instant press of a button
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc

I'm with you on this one. Saw a similar product at a local GM dealership of all places. I made a comment to the counter person about the ethical rammifications of selling such a product. His first question was " are you law enforcement "? I said no, but that I didn't want to get T boned by some jackass that thought he was flying under the radar. These type of products promote illegal activities, and nothing more. Oh wait, they do do something else, they put everyone elses safety in jeopardy.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubanme

Me thinketh thou protesteth too much.

So what? You screwed up, learned your lesson and that should have been the end of it. Instead, you spent another $30 trying to ensure that you won't have to pay any more attention in the future than you were when you got pinched?

I've been caught behind slow drivers in camera monitored intersections, too. It happens sometimes. That's why you can fight it in court. If you're truly in the right, you have a chance to beat the rap. But I bet that the vast majority of guys trying to conceal their plates aren't being as altruistic as you portray yourself to be.

And yes, I come to a full stop at 4-way intersections and don't roll through them. Saying I would make a good cop doesn't embarrass me in the least, by the way.

Saying you avoid the Golden Gate Bridge because it costs too much also undermines your credibility regarding innocent intent. I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, and the only way you are getting from Marin County to The City and vice versa is the Golden Gate Bridge, unless you want to spend several hours in time and fuel driving around the entire bay. It's much cheaper to take the bridge, toll or not.

And finally, HID (High Intensity Driver) doesn't mean anything. But if you really want to attribute meaning to it, it means that I'm paying attention when I'm behind the wheel. I guess you really can't say the same thing, eh?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by casisthefirst

Assuming the only reason for buying such products is to run red lights is a
I once got stuck in an intersection for a fraction of a second, enough to get a picture taken, all because the guy in front of me stalled, he had already passed the intersection, but I got the ticket

If I were to make a product, I'd create an electric licence plate frame that would roll over by the instant press of a button

I don't know anybody who runs redlights as a habit, and I agree that buying a product to run redlights is a sad tragedy. I would rather see more Police monitoring traffic and giving tickets instead of traffic cameras. Just as you stated, that you were a victim of a slow car in front of you and the camera does not know the difference, where an officer would of known. When an officer makes a stop, he does a "attitude check", also the presence of the police prevents crime and he can also respond to an emergency situation. A traffic camera, only sits there and issues you a ticket for that exact speed you were going.
I'd rather see more cops and less cameras, because the "human factor"
is much more forgiving. Most wanted criminals are arrested during routine traffic stops that cameras are not capapble of. Most police officers will give you a small break if you just admit that you were speeding, a camera can't do that for you. I just prefer the old fashion way. Besides, modern technology is quickly eliminating jobs. Cameras do have one upside, they will catch an accident and how it was cause.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMc
Me thinketh thou protesteth too much.

So what? You screwed up, learned your lesson and that should have been the end of it. Instead, you spent another $30 trying to ensure that you won't have to pay any more attention in the future than you were when you got pinched?

I've been caught behind slow drivers in camera monitored intersections, too. It happens sometimes. That's why you can fight it in court. If you're truly in the right, you have a chance to beat the rap. But I bet that the vast majority of guys trying to conceal their plates aren't being as altruistic as you portray yourself to be.

And yes, I come to a full stop at 4-way intersections and don't roll through them. Saying I would make a good cop doesn't embarrass me in the least, by the way.

Saying you avoid the Golden Gate Bridge because it costs too much also undermines your credibility regarding innocent intent. I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, and the only way you are getting from Marin County to The City and vice versa is the Golden Gate Bridge, unless you want to spend several hours in time and fuel driving around the entire bay. It's much cheaper to take the bridge, toll or not.

And finally, HID (High Intensity Driver) doesn't mean anything. But if you really want to attribute meaning to it, it means that I'm paying attention when I'm behind the wheel. I guess you really can't say the same thing, eh?
My innocent intent? I don't try driving around the bay to avoid the Golden Gate, I just don't drive over unless I REALLY need to. I think you forgot to read the line where I said I stopped and went back to try to pay. I'm just pissed that even I tried to pay, I'm still getting a ticket. When I said that you would make a good cop was "sarcasm". You would not know the differece between the "spirit of the law" and the "letter of the law", so you could never be a good cop.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Instead of a spray, use the plastic plate covers which are clear when viewed from straight behind, but opaque at the usual angles used for red light cameras.

If you do your homework you will see that red light cameras are just about the biggest scam out there. They are there for the money, not safety. The company who makes them GIVES them to the city/county, processes the data, mails the fines, and gets to keep half the money.

The worst part is that intersections with red light cameras are statistically MORE UNSAFE after the camera is installed then before. During the installation they reprogram the lights to have shorter times with a yellow, FORCING drivers to make the decision to either run the light (which they would have made legally before) or stop quicker than usual, and risk getting rear ended.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Instead of a spray, use the plastic plate covers which are clear when viewed from straight behind, but opaque at the usual angles used for red light cameras.

If you do your homework you will see that red light cameras are just about the biggest scam out there. They are there for the money, not safety. The company who makes them GIVES them to the city/county, processes the data, mails the fines, and gets to keep half the money.

The worst part is that intersections with red light cameras are statistically MORE UNSAFE after the camera is installed then before. During the installation they reprogram the lights to have shorter times with a yellow, FORCING drivers to make the decision to either run the light (which they would have made legally before) or stop quicker than usual, and risk getting rear ended.
Lol, read about what they've done across the pond (EG, got any input on this?)

..and as far as being there just for safety (wow, what a joke that is), you can easily argue the same condemning radar detectors, or even sports cars for that matter. Wait a minute, minivans are dangerous too, they're tall, and have totally tinted windows in the rear so you can't see traffic through them when behind.. wow, big rigs are killers too!!! they can't stop that fast from highway speeds!!! ..oh, and suv's!!! they flip over!!! ban them!!!!!

see where I'm going with this???

I say just educate the drivers more into safe driving practices

Get notified of new replies

To Photo blocker spray as seen in magazines

Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I kind of figured that the spray was too good to be true. I'll save my money.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 AM
garymilgrom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Test is Inconclusive

If you stood behind your car with the camera and the spray did not block the photo you are not at the correct angle where it works. This stuff is designed to be used at one angle - the angle that the cameras are installed at. I believe it is 22 degrees but not sure.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:41 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...as long as there's people who try to escape responsibility for their actions, there's going to be vendors who sell snake oil products...

Quick Reply: Photo blocker spray as seen in magazines