Sponsored by:

Pressure Sensors vs. Fix a Flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
78-Bandit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pressure Sensors vs. Fix a Flat

I just bought a 2001 vert. It does not have run flats. If I get a flat, is it safe to use fix-a-flat, or will it damage my pressure sensor?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Mr.DJ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchiccarine
I just bought a 2001 vert. It does not have run flats. If I get a flat, is it safe to use fix-a-flat, or will it damage my pressure sensor?
I believe that the tire repair kit available from Tire Rack is TPM safe, but many of the aftermarket ones currently available do have a tendency of clogging-up sensors, valve stems, and valve cores.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by rchiccarine
Fix-a-flat the brand will be a no-no. Get yourself a plug kit and a small cigarette lighter powered compressor for piece of mind much like the Z06 folks have. You can look into the conti-comfort kit sold on the tire rack website. It is rumored to be TPS safe. I've never tried it so don't go by me. I have always read that you will ruin your sensor as the material must pass thru the sensor to get to the tire and subsequent hole. YMMV.

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr.DJ
I believe that the tire repair kit available from Tire Rack is TPM safe, but many of the aftermarket ones currently available do have a tendency of clogging-up sensors, valve stems, and valve cores.
Yup, TireRack claims it's safe. But allow me to play devil's advocate here (assuming my #s are right ). You can buy a 12 volt portable compressor for $10-15 at the parts store, and a can of goo is $5. The TPS on your '01 costs around $30; TireRack's kit is around $79? You'd have the mess to clean up if you used a regular can of fix-a-flat, but otherwise, what perhaps makes more sense?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Mr.DJ
Pro

Originally Posted by wamara
Yup, TireRack claims it's safe. But allow me to play devil's advocate here (assuming my #s are right ). You can buy a 12 volt portable compressor for $10-15 at the parts store, and a can of goo is $5. The TPS on your '01 costs around $30; TireRack's kit is around $79? You'd have the mess to clean up if you used a regular can of fix-a-flat, but otherwise, what perhaps makes more sense?
...calling AAA?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr.DJ
...calling AAA?
Sometimes, but I wouldn't want that to be my only option.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

I have been doing some thinking on this recently, especially since I have gotten three flats in the last four months or so. Seems that all of them were caused by a foreign object stuck into the tire. nail, wire, and a screw. The leaks were slow and all I had to do was use my compressor to fill the tire enough to take it to a repair shop. no plugs no GOO and no... AAA!!! If the holes were anything bigger then that, then I would opt for a AAA lift to the nearest repair center, and a replacement tire.
You wont want to drive around on tires filled with GOO anyway. and plugs are only a temp fix. Goo was great for my mountain bike though.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
78-Bandit
Drifting

Thanks all. I think I'll pick up a compressor and plug kit.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
TUF-NUF
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: kent ct - "if i'm not in the vette, i damn well better be on the yacht."
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by hardtop
I have been doing some thinking on this recently, especially since I have gotten three flats in the last four months or so. Seems that all of them were caused by a foreign object stuck into the tire. nail, wire, and a screw. The leaks were slow and all I had to do was use my compressor to fill the tire enough to take it to a repair shop. no plugs no GOO and no... AAA!!! If the holes were anything bigger then that, then I would opt for a AAA lift to the nearest repair center, and a replacement tire.
You wont want to drive around on tires filled with GOO anyway. and plugs are only a temp fix. Goo was great for my mountain bike though.
hardtop; i've logged many thousands of miles on plugged tires...are you sure they're temporary.....?? dave
Old 09-07-2006, 03:33 PM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bikesmith
hardtop; I've logged many thousands of miles on plugged tires...are you sure they're temporary.....?? dave
OK, I'll admit I may still be driving on one....or two of them myself.
Gotta be careful in this litigious world, know what I mean? CYA
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Would not use the Fix-A-Flat - the stuff can gum up the sensors.

Get notified of new replies

To Pressure Sensors vs. Fix a Flat

Quick Reply: Pressure Sensors vs. Fix a Flat