Sponsored by:

If Ping, then Better Fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:33 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Default If Ping, then Better Fuel ?

Went to pass a truck on a two-lane today. Just a moderate pull from low in 3rd (MN6) and at first it pinged quite a bit. I guess the computer took over and retarded the timing. She did pull hard, just didn't remember all the ping.

She gets a steady diet of PREMIUM so I don't know what else to do. Is there a problem with my AE or the fuel?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your codes, maybe something is set.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:31 AM
1998 GTR
Drifting

If it continues to ping on premium fuel, I'd consider having a good CORVETTE tuner look at it. It's not an AF ratio issue. You might want to have a tuner pull a tad bit of timing out of it. While less timing advance typically drops power slightly, you'll notice MORE power because the knock sensor won't be kicking in and taking a whole bunch of timing out. MUCH cheaper than a blown piston!

Dave

Last edited by 1998 GTR; 11-23-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:33 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

I have a similar problem on my 99, and I always put 93 Octane in...

I'm going to lower the trip point for the fans a little to see if that helps, but I suppose this could be due to buildup of crap in the combustion chamber.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:41 AM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me when I used premium fuel at El Cheapo in Ga.
I thought I had some major probs cuase the engine has always been so smooth. Others in my area said they had no probs with EC's gas.

I started using a different(better?) gas station and the noise went away. If you frequent a particuler brand, try a change and see if it helps.
It may also be time to try a bottle of techron.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:51 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My 01 did that too. I think its carbon build up from burning oil on mine. If you shift from 2nd to 3rd, no prob. Its when I was on the freeway going 70 and downshifted an punched it it would ping. I fattened mine up which got rid of the audible ping, but on my predator I could still see 4 degrees of K retard. I then went and put in 100 octane and it was the same, still had 4 degrees of retard. It only did it from 4000 rpm and up. Now im at +12% fuel from 4k and up and its good. Sometimes if I downshift and it I can feel it pulling timing.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 AM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I've been lucky. I haven't had this problem. But others I've read about said it made a difference when they switched to a fuel with Techron. Chevron is one and I think Texaco is another. Check what's advertised on the pumps. And I think there's a website that lists manufactures suggested fuels. Remember, you're driving a special car that requires premium fuel. Don't try to save pennies between premium brands. Just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:37 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably need to decarb the motor. And if you don't want it to come back, you should install a catch can.
If you took off your intake and looked inside, you would see oil inside of it. This is pretty normal, and doesn't mean that your rings are shot. It's just the PVC system doing it's thing. But in doing so, it also pulls in oil vapors, that collect into droplets, and coats the inside of the intake. When the oil gets pulled into the combustion chamber and burns, it makes carbon. That carbon will make hot spots, and will cause pre-ignition.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Originally Posted by hardtop
This happened to me when I used premium fuel at El Cheapo in Ga.
I thought I had some major probs cuase the engine has always been so smooth. Others in my area said they had no probs with EC's gas.

I started using a different(better?) gas station and the noise went away. If you frequent a particuler brand, try a change and see if it helps.
It may also be time to try a bottle of techron.
I've always put in Exxon 93 or Sonoco 94, and still have the problem.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:55 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RED99
You probably need to decarb the motor. And if you don't want it to come back, you should install a catch can.
If you took off your intake and looked inside, you would see oil inside of it. This is pretty normal, and doesn't mean that your rings are shot. It's just the PVC system doing it's thing. But in doing so, it also pulls in oil vapors, that collect into droplets, and coats the inside of the intake. When the oil gets pulled into the combustion chamber and burns, it makes carbon. That carbon will make hot spots, and will cause pre-ignition.
I already have a catch-can. Installed about 8 months ago just because I read about it on CF. Catches a bit of oil....not very much though.

I am going to run the H$LL out of it to blow it out and then check again for the ping. Only mod to the engine is a twin-tube breather. All connections are tight so I cannot imagine that it is causing the problem.

Anyone else??

Get notified of new replies

To If Ping, then Better Fuel ?

Quick Reply: If Ping, then Better Fuel ?