Va Taxes on Used Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
ENJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Va Taxes on Used Cars

I was reading this post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590845
and now I'm wondering what's going to happen here, in Va when I take the title down to VA's DMV. How will the tax be assest, stated value, blue book value or something else. I'm purchasing from a private owner & waiting on the title to register the vehicle in my name.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I live in VA, and just did mine the beginning of the month. I paid $28K for my '04, and they used my bill of sale. Appraised on Edmunds my car would retail for $34K, I paid tax only on the amount of my bill of sale.
The sales tax was 3%, so I was in the neighborhood of $840. I was thrilled, I came from CT, that tax would be double there!

John
Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan
I live in VA, and just did mine the beginning of the month. I paid $28K for my '04, and they used my bill of sale. Appraised on Edmunds my car would retail for $34K, I paid tax only on the amount of my bill of sale.
The sales tax was 3%, so I was in the neighborhood of $840. I was thrilled, I came from CT, that tax would be double there!

John

Chuck
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 AM
JROW
Burning Brakes

yeah, they will use the bill of sale, or anything else showing what you paid for the car...
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 AM
jarsdad1
Drifting

Originally Posted by z50won
yeah, they will use the bill of sale, or anything else showing what you paid for the car...
Just don't try to snowball them buy producing a bill of sale for a ridiculously low amount. Then you'll pay!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
hoovy
Instructor

Default 3%

3% is right and it is usually the amount stated on the title ( on a VA title) at the bottom that you paid for it.

Black & Tan, I see you live in Deerfield, I live just down the road south of hot springs 8 miles on 220 near the Bath & Allegehny line.Shoot me an email and maybe we can chat on the area, I see you are new here.

I am searching for a Z06 and iching to buy!!! BIG TIME !! All the pics on this site nad a couple other vette sites really have given me the itch BAD !!!

hooverracing17@hotmail.com James Hoover
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
ENJ
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your imput. I'm worried now because the car I've purchased from a private seller has every option available on the indow sticker included with very, very low miles. I'm about to get for taxes.

Get notified of new replies

To Va Taxes on Used Cars

Quick Reply: Va Taxes on Used Cars