Sponsored by:

Need advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM
rwilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice!!!!

Battery is completely dead. I was told if the bulb for under the hood is blown, that will drain the battery because the circuit is not complete and he said "I know that for a fact"
I was advised to remove the battery before the fluid freezes and leaks down onto the circuit boards below...Yes??
Also, when I remove the battery, any precautions? And, is there re-programming involved when I install a new battery? BTW, I think the present battery is an AC Delco and is only a year and a half old., but I only drive the car once a week...maybe 50 miles. I have a lot of faith in the local Chevy dealer, and I hope he will steer me in the right direction...what say you?? HELP!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
bb609
Melting Slicks

Blown bulb? Change it anyway. Yes, a dead battery will freeze. No, no issues when changing it. Just remove the black/ground/negative cable first.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rwilkins
Battery is completely dead. I was told if the bulb for under the hood is blown, that will drain the battery because the circuit is not complete and he said "I know that for a fact"
I was advised to remove the battery before the fluid freezes and leaks down onto the circuit boards below...Yes??
Also, when I remove the battery, any precautions? And, is there re-programming involved when I install a new battery? BTW, I think the present battery is an AC Delco and is only a year and a half old., but I only drive the car once a week...maybe 50 miles. I have a lot of faith in the local Chevy dealer, and I hope he will steer me in the right direction...what say you?? HELP!!!!
Buy an optima battery which is sealed and will not drip acid on to the PCM and wiring below. If that happens you could end up with a very expensive repair.

Renoving the battery will only cause your memory and radio settings to disappear and are easily reset.

I would take care of this immmediately as a bad or potentially leaking battery can cause severe electrical damage.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM
korte
Pro

Originally Posted by bb609
Blown bulb? Change it anyway. Yes, a dead battery will freeze. No, no issues when changing it. Just remove the black/ground/negative cable first.
Will a good battery freeze?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C-5's are notorious for draining a battery. If the car set for more than 2 weeks.......dead. If you pull it, push on the side casings to see if there is any "flex". If so, it isn't frozen. If you are going to charge it out of the car, do NOT put it on concrete. Place it on a board or a shelf. As far as the bulb under the hood, that light doesn't come on unless the hood is up. No currant goes through it if the hood is down. Don't spend the $$ foe a delco. Most are only 600 cold crank amps & at a dealer, they are pricey. Go to wally world and buy a 1000 cold crank amp battery. It is the same battery as a Sears Die Hard. They are made by the same people. I would not buy a Optima from what I have read here, a lot of them have leaked. Not good since the computer sits right under the battery. I hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by korte
Will a good battery freeze?
ANY battery will freeze if dead. Even gel batteries.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:40 AM
korte
Pro

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
ANY battery will freeze if dead. Even gel batteries.
Will it freeze if it's not dead?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

NOw that is a good question. I believe that any battery will freeze if cold enough for a long enough time. I mean below 0 for a week or so.. I have never had it happen since I either run the car or have a charger on the car when real cold.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice!!!!

Quick Reply: Need advice!!!!