The dreaded C1214 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 PM
max'svette
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Default The dreaded C1214 Code

I recently purchased the car from poolhustler. It is a 2002 Corvette with only right around 19,700 miles on it now. When we were test driving the car it threw a Check Traction Control Code as Russ was pulling it out of the driveway. He said that it only started doing that after he lowered the car and it was because of the incline on the driveway.

I thought nothing of it, because after we got to a gas station and turned the car off and back on the code was gone.

Now when I was driving the car back home after purchasing it the check traction control and ABS lights were on the entire way back (400 miles).

I mentioned to Russ that this may be a common problem and he agreed to take care of the repair costs if they end up being a couple hundred $.

After doing further research on the board here. I noticed module costs about $1049 list and $650 with a discount. You can also send it in to get repaired?! How can I know if it is the EBCM module or the BPMV. Sad to see such an expensive part fail on such a low mileage car. But please let me know if I need both the BPMV and EBCM or just the EBCM replaced at this time.
The exact code was C1214H, but then I also got a U1064H and B2592
Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by max'svette
I recently purchased the car from poolhustler. It is a 2002 Corvette with only right around 19,700 miles on it now. When we were test driving the car it threw a Check Traction Control Code as Russ was pulling it out of the driveway. He said that it only started doing that after he lowered the car and it was because of the incline on the driveway.

I thought nothing of it, because after we got to a gas station and turned the car off and back on the code was gone.

Now when I was driving the car back home after purchasing it the check traction control and ABS lights were on the entire way back (400 miles).

I mentioned to Russ that this may be a common problem and he agreed to take care of the repair costs if they end up being a couple hundred $.

After doing further research on the board here. I noticed module costs about $1049 list and $650 with a discount. You can also send it in to get repaired?! How can I know if it is the EBCM module or the BPMV. Sad to see such an expensive part fail on such a low mileage car. But please let me know if I need both the BPMV and EBCM or just the EBCM replaced at this time.
The exact code was C1214H, but then I also got a U1064H and B2592

I hate to be the parrot here but you did check your chassis ground right? This will definately throw traction control codes... as well as ABS/Active handling and Service vehicle soon.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Checked the grounds yesterday. They seemed fine to me, with no corrosion.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by max'svette
Checked the grounds yesterday. They seemed fine to me, with no corrosion.
Actually mine looked fine too... clean and looked brand new... however, it was still causing the ABS/Traction and even made my fog lights quit working (Had to wiggle the little junction box and they would work). After pulling apart and bolting back down, seemed to be fine.

You may benefit from crimping the ends and connecting them directly to that stud (remove the black box junction)
Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maestro300
Actually mine looked fine too... clean and looked brand new... however, it was still causing the ABS/Traction and even made my fog lights quit working (Had to wiggle the little junction box and they would work). After pulling apart and bolting back down, seemed to be fine.

You may benefit from crimping the ends and connecting them directly to that stud (remove the black box junction)
I had to have the ABS pump replaced on mine. And, actually, and unfortunately, it's not at all uncommon on these cars. Do a search on it once. There are a ton of threads on ABS/traction control codes and failures on these machines. Kind of a sad statement on GM engineering.
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 04-03-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine just came on too, I'm thinking of sending it out and getting it repaired.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check all the grounds .. ?

if i recall .. i had to check all 4 of them before mine stopped acting up.

plus check your battery, make sure it's up to snuff.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Only the "early" C5 had battery problems. I will check other grounds later. Almost every post that I have read that references the C1214 code results in EBCM replacement.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.absfixer.com/how_much.php

$150 Bucks, you can't beat that!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Mine was throwing the C1214H code intermittently at first so after researching on the forum I cleaned and reattached all the grounds. It did not solve the problem and finally the code and lights were constant so I pulled the EBCM and had it rebuilt last year. The rebuild worked perfectly and I've had no further problems.

If your EBCM turns out to be the problem I'd have it rebuilt vs buying a new one. Most re-builders use upgraded components vs stock and their warranty's are longer.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Illini82
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
http://www.absfixer.com/how_much.php

$150 Bucks, you can't beat that!
Just got mine back last week, works perfectly!

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded C1214 Code

Quick Reply: The dreaded C1214 Code