Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP....Stock Fog Lamp Wiring Harness... into a Z06... Need wiring diagram.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default HELP....Stock Fog Lamp Wiring Harness... into a Z06... Need wiring diagram.

Guys:

I have read many posts about installing fog lamps into a Z06. However I have not found anything about installing a set of "stock C5" fog lamps into a Z06 (I have HID bulbs coming for the stock C5 fog lights )

I have the C5 fog light switch. Its installed and makes the "click" sound from the relay in the fuse box, and the little light comes on. That was easy.

I have Ground wires (black) comming from both fog lamp connectors. I found the stock grounding block over the passenger wheel well. The C5 connection will click in there and look stock. This part again will be easy.

Here is my confusion.... Each fog lamp connector has a purple lead (hot lead). I know I need to go to connect to relay 39 in the fuse box. Do both purple leads connect to the relay 39 ? I have not lifted the fuse box to look yet (have to disconnect battery etc...)

Does someone have the wiring diagram of the fog lamp assy to the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment ?

I hope this makes sence to someone....

Thanks !
Toque
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 AM
HollywoodFRC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Bolt in I think!

I'm doing the same thing in my '99 FRC. I have the lamps, bracket and switch. I haven't done the installation yet, but I believe if you get her up on jackstands and pull the lower fascia access panels you should be able to find the Fog light wiring harness and male connector for each light. If not, from the wiring diagram, the Left fog light power source comes off of the underhood electrical center in the engine compartment (next to the battery) at fuse #6. The electrical center lifts off of its pedestal by prying the clips out. DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST if you get into the relay/fuse block. On the diagram it's Purple (PPL)wire from connection C1. The Right Fog is connection C3 also a purple wire. If the purple wires are there at C1 and C3, then it's pre wired. You'll have to find it near the front of the vehicle. The ground for both is Black wire from ground G102 - on the top of the front RH frame rail behind the RH headlamp assembly. The Purple is Circuit #34 and the Black is Ground circuit #150. I won't get to mine until Sunday. Let me know how you made out. The connector for the Fog Lights is part # is 12020599 and it's a 2 way F metri-pack 280 series(black in color). Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks. I will not get a chance to try it till tomorrow night. But I will look !

I will let you know !

Thanks !
Toque
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 AM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

make sure you do a detailed write up with pics
Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

my y2k coupe did not come with factory fogs and there are NO plugs for the fogs on my factory wiring harness.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

There's a how-to on here for installing fogs in a Z06... look it up!

It's very easy... ground to the frame at a factory ground, power wire to the fuse block, then splice into that little purple wire. Install oem fog switch and be done!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
There's a how-to on here for installing fogs in a Z06... look it up!

It's very easy... ground to the frame at a factory ground, power wire to the fuse block, then splice into that little purple wire. Install oem fog switch and be done!
Each factory fog light has a purple wire.... Which one goes to fuse block ? Which fuse ? Fuse #6? Which purple wire goes to the relay #39 ?

Do you have a factory wiring diagram ? I just want to make sure my connections are exactly like factory. I have the factory wiring harness.

I have looked up the procedures on here for installing Fog lights in a Z06. There is no detail about where both purple wires go. See my questions above.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by illmac77
make sure you do a detailed write up with pics
I plan to I am going away this weekend so it might not be till next weekend I get time to do this.

Toque
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sorry I guess I can't help... I've only installed PIAAs per the how-to on here and it was rather easy... esp w/ my stock bumper off.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Each factory fog light has a purple wire.... Which one goes to fuse block ? Which fuse ? Fuse #6? Which purple wire goes to the relay #39 ?

Do you have a factory wiring diagram ? I just want to make sure my connections are exactly like factory. I have the factory wiring harness.

I have looked up the procedures on here for installing Fog lights in a Z06. There is no detail about where both purple wires go. See my questions above.

Thanks !
Toque
what are you plugging the bulbs into? there's no plug connector on your wiring harness.

you need to use an aftermarket harness to make this work.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
3whit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default C5 Fog light Hook up

Hi GuysI have been watching the info flow about this fog light hookup. I have a 01 and there are no leads to the bulbs on mine ,I have picked up the lamps and the dash switch ,which when pushed lights up fine ,I can hear the relay click. My problem is this , I have the bulb sockets and feel I can create a harness ok . I am not sure if you have to run a purple wire from each bulb or can you tie in and end up with one purple wire feeding both and the black grounds to frame of course.. Now is when it gets very confusing . Do you have to tap into the fuse box from underneath or since my relay is clicking can I just power up off from fuse #6, I know this is alot to absorb but I know it can be done, Torque did it ,ANY help greatly APPRECIATED,I dont want to give up on this I do have the wire diagram for the fogs.. HELP and thanks ,I am new to the forum and it has been very helpfull already,alot of people want to do this so a detailed actual wire hookup would be fantastic.. Thanks again
Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Its been months since I installed mine but....I had got an original C5 Fog lamp wiring harness from a scrap yard.

Here is what I did:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1687872

I ran the 2 seperate purple wires from each fog lamp to the purple wire under relay #39. Be sure not to cut the purple wire because it leads from the fuse box to the relay inside the car (your little light on the fog lamp button will not light up if you clip the purple wire). Just tie the two purple leads from the fog lamps to the purple wire under relay #39.

In theory you could run a single wire from the purple wire in the fuse box to one lamp, then one wire from that lamp to the other lamp. I just chose to do it the same way the factory did it.... Just in case it was done like that for a specific reason....? I suspect each lamp was run seperately so that you would not over current a single wire and melt it.

I then ran the 2x black GND wires from the fog lamps and connected them to the GND block over the passenger wheel inside the engine bay.

I hope this helps !
Toque

Get notified of new replies

To HELP....Stock Fog Lamp Wiring Harness... into a Z06... Need wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: HELP....Stock Fog Lamp Wiring Harness... into a Z06... Need wiring diagram.