Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED turn signals with resistor, same current draw as regular bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Default LED turn signals with resistor, same current draw as regular bulb?

If I change over to LED running lights and turn signal bulbs I am likely to get the "fast" flashing turn signals (due to the low power consumption of the LED bulbs). The fix seems to be wiring a resistor into each bulb. If I do that, am I then still drawing the same power I was with the incandescent bulbs?

Only reason I could see to do it (if the power draw is the same) is for the longer life of the LED bulbs (hate squeezing my hands in there to change the turn signals when the bulb goes :-) ).
Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

yes you are guranteed to get the fast flash if you change the front DRLs to LEDs.

a resistor will not prevent the fast flash in the front, they will burn out.

the only fix, other than to replace or rewire the flasher, is to add the OEM bulb back in the series.

do a search under my name for a thread on how i did it.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 AM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the fast flash. and am keeping it.
Even the soccer milf see im turning and let me IN.

In more ways than one.

Paul G.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by unionlandlord
Even the soccer milf see im turning and let me IN.

In more ways than one.

Paul G.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jdmvette
yes you are guranteed to get the fast flash if you change the front DRLs to LEDs.

a resistor will not prevent the fast flash in the front, they will burn out.
I hope you mean that the resistors will burn out (not the bulbs or leds) ?

the only fix, other than to replace or rewire the flasher, is to add the OEM bulb back in the series.
Nah, was looking to replace the oem bulbs due to the contorsionist routine necessary to relace them through the top when one burns out, so any solution that leaves them in there defeats my purpose.

I may lust pop led bulbs in the front and see if I can use it with the fast flashing. This will probably burn the other incandescent bulbs left (the ones in the tail lights) out faster, but those should be easier to change :-) (not ready to switch to the led tail lights yet).

Thanks for the info, I did remember reading your post but didnt bookmark or have your name :-)
Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default My bulbs last about 9 years WHY do yours burn out so fast

I JUST replaced my FIRST brake/tail lamp about 3 months ago on my 98 C5. Another original bulb in the rear went about a month later. So I replaced the other 2 also. Fronts are a PITA to get to and are holding up just fine. I guess you get exhausted doing this job once every 9 years. Or does your car get struck by lightning often? BIGHANK
Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jistari
I hope you mean that the resistors will burn out (not the bulbs or leds) ?

Thanks for the info, I did remember reading your post but didnt bookmark or have your name :-)
yes, the resistor will burn out...not the bulbs.

there's a pic floating around...i'll see if i can find it.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Jistari
I may lust pop led bulbs in the front and see if I can use it with the fast flashing. This will probably burn the other incandescent bulbs left (the ones in the tail lights) out faster, but those should be easier to change :-) (not ready to switch to the led tail lights yet).
I did it too, and of course have the rapid flash. They just look so cool that I don't mind the rapid flash. And yes, it's done. The LED DRL's will porobably out live the car

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bighank
I JUST replaced my FIRST brake/tail lamp about 3 months ago on my 98 C5. Another original bulb in the rear went about a month later. So I replaced the other 2 also. Fronts are a PITA to get to and are holding up just fine. I guess you get exhausted doing this job once every 9 years. Or does your car get struck by lightning often? BIGHANK
Slow down there Sparky It's a 2001, probably was the original bulb in there the last time it went (last summer), but I remember reading that the oem bulbs run very hot and sometimes melt the housing. When it went again (this year) I just figured they may go often and was thinking of nipping it in the bud. Dont mind little repairs (quality time with car) but this one is just a pita

And C5VetteLS1

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
I did it too, and of course have the rapid flash. They just look so cool that I don't mind the rapid flash. And yes, it's done. The LED DRL's will porobably out live the car

Loooove the way that looks, yah, gotta get around to doing this Thanks.

Last edited by Jistari; 06-14-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:49 AM
DTV
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2001 and when the first time the turnlight (DLR)went out
I repleace them. Now it almost every 6 month one or the other is going out. I notice they are getting wet from where the light is plug in. Heat
has change something.

I have a question will the LED making the Flashing light rapid flash
will this hurt the Flasher?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by DTV
I also have a 2001 and when the first time the turnlight (DLR)went out
I repleace them. Now it almost every 6 month one or the other is going out. I notice they are getting wet from where the light is plug in. Heat
has change something.

I have a question will the LED making the Flashing light rapid flash
will this hurt the Flasher?
I had the same questions some time ago and posted it to the forum. The replies were that it should have no effect on the flasher itself. I guess this will be confirmed over time.
Richard
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default burned out lights

Well at least my 98 C5 has ONE good set of parts. The front turn signal/running/parking lamps. I'm not changing ANYTHING till it FAILS.
My father's adage of "LEAVE IT ALONE" until it breaks beats tweaking and sometimes ruining things which if left alone function very well.
When I tried to replace the headlamp bulbs several years ago for glitzier ones the combination of my large hands and the easily bendable prongs on the headlamp meant I had to totally disassemble both headlight assemblies and straghten the retaining prongs with needle nose pliers. Thank God I spent $160 for the Helm manuals so I could do this job without causing further damage.
Some if these "enhancements" are just busy work. BIGHANK
Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
TrumpVette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran

If the resistors burn out, it means that you used a resistor that is rated too low. The bulbs that you are replacing are rated at 27 watts if I remember correctly. The resistors should be rated at least the same. I used 6 ohm 30 watt resistors in my LED tailights and all is fine. The resistors will get hot so be careful where you place them. Use a higher wattage resistor for more safety.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TrumpVette
If the resistors burn out, it means that you used a resistor that is rated too low. The bulbs that you are replacing are rated at 27 watts if I remember correctly. The resistors should be rated at least the same. I used 6 ohm 30 watt resistors in my LED tailights and all is fine. The resistors will get hot so be careful where you place them. Use a higher wattage resistor for more safety.
but the DRL's have 100% duty cycle. members have used a 50 watt resistor on the front DRL's and had them burn out.

you can get away with using them on the tails because they're not on all the time, but for the front, everything i've read has said resistors don't work.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 PM
TrumpVette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran

but the DRL's have 100% duty cycle. members have used a 50 watt resistor on the front DRL's and had them burn out.

you can get away with using them on the tails because they're not on all the time, but for the front, everything i've read has said resistors don't work.
Huh???? OMG! You're right! Those DRL/Turn Signals are single fillament light bulbs. I didn't realize that.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:15 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You only need to find the correct wattage/resistance resistor. Too small of wattage will burn up. The problem is getting the LED bulb specs.
If you have the LED specs then you can use this formula
R = (VS - VL) / I. R = resistor value in ohms ( ). VS = supply voltage. VL = LED voltage (2V, or 4V for blue and white LEDs). I = LED current in amps (A)

Old 06-14-2023, 08:29 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
You only need to find the correct wattage/resistance resistor. Too small of wattage will burn up. The problem is getting the LED bulb specs.
If you have the LED specs then you can use this formula
R = (VS - VL) / I. R = resistor value in ohms ( ). VS = supply voltage. VL = LED voltage (2V, or 4V for blue and white LEDs). I = LED current in amps (A)
Bob I'm pretty sure the issue has been solved in the decade plus since the thread was created.
The following users liked this post:
Bob Onit (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 08:40 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oops.....

Get notified of new replies

To LED turn signals with resistor, same current draw as regular bulb?

Quick Reply: LED turn signals with resistor, same current draw as regular bulb?