Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me not to buy an STI....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
akeric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me not to buy an STI....

I've been convinced to stick with the sti but if you want to add your say feel free,.

So I live in Alaska.... its cold and snowy most of the year... I like fast cars but really don't care for driving a cavalier half the year while my corvette sits in the garage.

As it is I have the opportunity to buy a beautiful 5000mi silver 2000 FRC...great looking car and at a good price. With the amount of money I would save over buying a new 07 Subaru WRX STI I could buy a twin turbo kit for the vette.... sooo heres what I'm stuck on.

I think its a better idea to buy the STI... and it pisses me off because the vette is great. STI has a warranty, STI can be driven year round and is all wheel drive. STI, while not the horsepower monster the vette could be is still quick and can be made decently fast for not a whole lot of money.

A friend of mine has a 04 z06 with a few mods and a 150 shot of Nitrous, he can run a flat 12 in the 1/4mi with the mods he has.... however if he hits the spray the best he has been able to run is a 12.2. There are some AWD turbocharged cars.... EVOs and STIs that can dip into the high 11s and they are not even heavily modded. More importantly they make use of alot more of their horsepower than the z06 does because they don't have the kind of traction problems. I don't really want to be driving around with slicks or going through tires like crazy.

I know the vette is dead sexy.... and while the STI looks ok to me it can't really compare. I would love to buy both but that just isn't going to happen. As it stands right now I will probably buy the STI but I would love for someone to convince me otherwise.

So what will it be? Subaru STI as only car .... or....
2000 FRC (w/ 5000mi) during the summer and 2001 Cavalier during the winter? and why?

***Note: Because of the lower price of the corvette than the sti it would cost about the same to own the vette and the cavalier as it would the STI... Also insurance would be near identical because of a multi-car discount with the corvette/cavalier vs. no discount owning the STI. ***

***Note: Also remember I live in alaska it snows here, if I lived some place where I didn't I would not be posting this... I would be posting some thread about this new vette I just bought.***

Thanks for the reps... look forward to reading them

Last edited by akeric; 06-15-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by akeric
So I live in Alaska.... its cold and snowy most of the year... I like fast cars but really don't care for driving a cavalier half the year while my corvette sits in the garage.

As it is I have the opportunity to buy a beautiful 5000mi silver 2000 FRC...great looking car and at a good price. With the amount of money I would save over buying a new 07 Subaru WRX STI I could buy a twin turbo kit for the vette.... sooo heres what I'm stuck on.

I think its a better idea to buy the STI... and it pisses me off because the vette is great. STI has a warranty, STI can be driven year round and is all wheel drive. STI, while not the horsepower monster the vette could be is still quick and can be made decently fast for not a whole lot of money.

A friend of mine has a 04 z06 with a few mods and a 150 shot of Nitrous, he can run a flat 12 in the 1/4mi with the mods he has.... however if he hits the spray the best he has been able to run is a 12.2. There are some AWD turbocharged cars.... EVOs and STIs that can dip into the high 11s and they are not even heavily modded. More importantly they make use of alot more of their horsepower than the z06 does because they don't have the kind of traction problems. I don't really want to be driving around with slicks or going through tires like crazy.

I know the vette is dead sexy.... and while the STI looks ok to me it can't really compare. I would love to buy both but that just isn't going to happen. As it stands right now I will probably buy the STI but I would love for someone to convince me otherwise.

So what will it be? Subaru STI as only car .... or....
2000 FRC (w/ 5000mi) during the summer and 2001 Cavalier during the winter? and why?

***Note: Because of the lower price of the corvette than the sti it would cost about the same to own the vette and the cavalier as it would the STI... Also insurance would be near identical because of a multi-car discount with the corvette/cavalier vs. no discount owning the STI. ***

***Note: Also remember I live in alaska it snows here, if I lived some place where I didn't I would not be posting this... I would be posting some thread about this new vette I just bought.***

Thanks for the reps... look forward to reading them

get the Subaru, you're only posting this to justify why you shouldn't buy the vette.
based on what you posted, the Subaru makes the most sense ...... for you.
if it was me, there would be NO question and no need to post something like this..
my choice would be the vette........
but that's me..
Old 06-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Vampyre
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that is a tuff one.

Well it would make more sense to get the STI, where you live. But...

How many months a year can you use the Vette, if it is 5 months or more, I would get the Vette.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Well, I will never try and talk someone out of something, but if you are asking for my opnion I will give it to you.

If you are planning on driving the car year around, it is a no brainer, buy the AWD car and enjoy it. The STi is a cool little car, but if this is a seasonal car which will not see snow, then the smart buy would be the vette and mod it (as you mentioned).

It really boils down to your plans and use of the car. Snow and rear-wheel cars don't jive to well, so driving the vette in the snow would be "no-fun" and "scarey" at times.

As mentioned above, if you will be able to drive the car for five-six months a year, the VETTE would be the pick for me. However, the STi makes the most sense if driving it regularly and year round.

Micah
Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
bbentley40
Racer

In your situation.. as much as it pains me to say this.. you should probably get the Zubaru... (yes I intentionally misspelled it.. lol... it helps my conscience when recommending against a Vette).
Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
warsurfer
Instructor

am i the only one that thinks an 04 z06 should be faster than 12.2 with mild mods and a 150 shot?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by warsurfer
am i the only one that thinks an 04 z06 should be faster than 12.2 with mild mods and a 150 shot?
If is is a dry shot, I would say 12 flat would be fair, but if it is a wet shot, I would say 11s easy.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
akeric
Advanced

And he put these mile wide tires on it.... not slicks, not sure what they are but they still have regular street tread. I guess the point of me bringing that up was the traction issue. Maybe he has a lead foot or something. When the car was bone stock he ran a 12.4 with stock tires. He can't even use the spray until third gear because of traction problems.

For everyone else, thanks for the replies and to the first poster I appreciate the honesty, your absolutely right. I will get the sti... if I find myself in warmer climates in the future then a RWD car I will have to get. As far as a daily, year round driver sti would be the obvious choice. Thanks again
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM
vettestream
Racer

if you want to drive year round, get the STI its a great car and can be made quite fast...

if you are serious about modding however I would go with the EVO as they respond to BPU's extremely well and whoop STI's all day.... good luck
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I would go test drive the Vette and then park it next to the Suxaru and see which one you like the best. Thats the one I would buy.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
akeric
Advanced

Originally Posted by mph1972
If is is a dry shot, I would say 12 flat would be fair, but if it is a wet shot, I would say 11s easy.
Its a dry shot, has just the nitrous injector, additional fuel is provided by the stock injectors. 12 flat is without the spray.... using the spray he could only run a best of 12.2. I think he is probably just launching like crap, I don't know what his 60ft times are but hes trapping around 125mph or so if I recall.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
akeric
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettestream
if you want to drive year round, get the STI its a great car and can be made quite fast...

if you are serious about modding however I would go with the EVO as they respond to BPU's extremely well and whoop STI's all day.... good luck
I looked at the evos and decided the sti would be the better choice for me between the two. I can get the STI for below invoice which is about $2000 less than I could get a EVO IX for. I know the evo can be made quicker for cheaper... but that is only to a point. The evo just has a more capable stock turbo and forged internals. Being 'factory' forged internals however they aren't the best but still better than cast or hyperuretic.

The thing that really turned me off about the EVO is that I feel they are to common and I don't trust the transmission. The trans-axle setup they use (besides being a pain to work on) is a inherently weaker design than the subie's setup.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
akeric
Advanced

Originally Posted by firecop90conv
I would go test drive the Vette and then park it next to the Suxaru and see which one you like the best. Thats the one I would buy.
The vette is absolutely sick.... I owned and have since sold a 99 vert a while back and I thought that car looked sexy... this one would put it on its ***.... It also has a aftermarket x-pipe and mufflers (not sure which) as well as some awesome looking exhaust tips from west coast corvettes. The exhaust sound is so sweet. The guy offered to let me drive it, but I really didn't have a desire to if I wasn't going to buy it. I don't like it when people waste my time so I try not to waste theirs. If I was more serious instead of debating, I would have taken for a spin.... I driven vettes before and this one is stock except for the exhaust.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Once upon a time I couldn't decide between 2 different vehicles on a car lot.
The salesman said "when you wake up tomorrow, morning which one will you be glad that you bought?"

I woke up happy with my decision.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. Something wrong with the car or the driver or both.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
mkleisch
Advanced

I have an 07 STi for the winter and a Vette for summer.

Turbos rock and so does the AWD....

But you can't beat 390 Ft.-Lbs to the wheels.

Enjoy the best of both worlds!!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Screw that. New all wheel EVO :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Convince me not to buy an STI....

Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Wt99C5
Burning Brakes

I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks working in Anchorage this past February. The whole time I was there I thought how great it would be to take long rides in my C5 thru the mountains. I know the weather may not have been the norm, but it was beautiful. No question about it, buy the Vette and drive a beater in the winter.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

If I were you I'd MOVE to Florida and keep the Vette Two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got all of the major points that needed to be addressed!

If you want to drive year round, the STI is the best car for you IMO.

But remember, no matter what you drive, the winter will tear it up. You'll be able to drive year round with the STI, but the vette will look nicer for more years as it only comes out in the summer.

Personally, I'd go with the Vette and cavalier winter beater. I live in California and I still have a spare beater car. You could always get an older 4x4 Toyota pickup for the winter. It will be cheap and last forever.

Quick Reply: Convince me not to buy an STI....