Sponsored by:

What power steering fluid should I use

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM
DGW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What power steering fluid should I use

Resevoir is a little low, can I flush the system easily, or just add more? what kind of fluid should I use?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:43 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, I did a complete flush after I installed speed bleeders. Easy one man operation. I used a kitchen baster and pulled a lot of the old fluid out of the reservoir, topped off with new fluid, opened bleeders one at a time and gently pumped the brakes until clean fluid came out. Keep an eye on the reservoir and don't let it run dry and pull in air. Just keep adding fresh fluid as you bleed each brake. I installed a small rubber tube on the end of the bleeder screw and ran it into a bottle to collect the flushed fluid. Works like a charm. There is a bleed sequence depending on the year of your vette.

Chuck
Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csexton
Doug, I did a complete flush after I installed speed bleeders. Easy one man operation. I used a kitchen baster and pulled a lot of the old fluid out of the reservoir, topped off with new fluid, opened bleeders one at a time and gently pumped the brakes until clean fluid came out. Keep an eye on the reservoir and don't let it run dry and pull in air. Just keep adding fresh fluid as you bleed each brake. I installed a small rubber tube on the end of the bleeder screw and ran it into a bottle to collect the flushed fluid. Works like a charm. There is a bleed sequence depending on the year of your vette.

Chuck
WOW!!!

Thats a great write up...

but I think he was asking about the power steering
Old 06-17-2007, 06:39 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

DO NOT PUT BRAKE FLUID in your power steering.....
I use Valvoline Synpower synthetic blend Power Steering Fluid.

Use a syringe or turkey baster and suck most of the fluid out of the reservoir. Top it up with fresh fluid and then drive around the block. turning both left and right.

This will exchange fluid from the reservoir into the rack....
If you want you can continue the process untill you have used up a quart bottle of new fluid.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Another vote for Valvoline Synpower.

Good stuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:27 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by csexton

Chuck
WTF Brake bleeders on power steering?

Get notified of new replies

To What power steering fluid should I use

Quick Reply: What power steering fluid should I use