Sponsored by:

Run Flats or Non Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
whiteknights
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flats or Non Run Flats

Is there any real advantages to run flats? I was thinking about getting non run flats if it smooths the ride out. Is this a silly idea? This is the 1st time i have driven a car with run flats. Seems to be a little unstable. What is the forums take on run flats vs non run flats.

My back tires are kinda low on tread. Can you mix and match runs w nonruns?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:48 PM
whiteknights
Intermediate

I am getting no responses? Is there not any big differences other than being able to drive on a flat?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With all due respect - have you done a search on the subject of tires? There are tons of threads on tires and the topic of the advantages of run flats vs. non-run flats has been discussed here countless times.

Just using "run flats" as search criteria yielded 242 threads.

Here are a few recent examples:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=run+flats

I know that you are new - and you wouldn't necessarily know what's been discussed around here over the last eight years, but the search tool can provide lots of information. Good luck in your decision.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends how you're going to use the tires. I know I don't like stopping in the middle of my commute to fix a flat.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:41 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
It depends how you're going to use the tires. I know I don't like stopping in the middle of my commute to fix a flat.
AS he stated. If you are planning on alot of long drives/trips or alot of city traffic driving then you might want to keep the runflats but if your car is just for casual fun then the non-runflats would be the way to go. I have had more flats than I would like to admit and it is during those times that I am glad I have runflats. I have had fence staples, screws, nails in my tires and even ran over part of an exhaust that put a nice hole in my tire. I don't think I'm very lucky so I have left the runflats on.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really, it's been talked to death on this Forum, it kinda boils down to your personal prefs., miles driven, noise tolerance, handling, tire ware, race/no race, rain traction, in some cases air temp.,(Kumhos). I wore out my NRF's, and couldn't wait to put RF's back on, just for the safety & security. I put on Michlen AS Z/P's, and would not think twice about buyin' them again, great tire!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

As I have posted before
runflats = insurance
non runflats = performance

What are you looking for??
Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

If you decide against run flats, make sure you have AAA.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspreng86
If you decide against run flats, make sure you have AAA.
X 1000, just got non-run flats and its GREAT, also got AAA (with the 100 mile tow if I need it) but I also got a air pump, tire plug kit and mini flashlight from walmart for $21 thats in the storage compartment in the rear.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Showdown
Pro

Originally Posted by rws.1
As I have posted before
runflats = insurance

Old 06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
With all due respect - have you done a search on the subject of tires? There are tons of threads on tires and the topic of the advantages of run flats vs. non-run flats has been discussed here countless times.

Just using "run flats" as search criteria yielded 242 threads.

Here are a few recent examples:

I know that you are new - and you wouldn't necessarily know what's been discussed around here over the last eight years, but the search tool can provide lots of information. Good luck in your decision.
That should help, Randy

I prefer the safety and convenience of runflats. Who wants to be removing and plugging a tire on some major highway or in some dangerous area at 2AM in the pouring rain in your suit and tie. ....could happen.
Soon most cars will have them anyway.
Kumho makes them in stock C5 sizes for half the price of the Goodyears. The Goodyears are the best at what they're designed for.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not listed in any order:

Pro's with runflats
1) Can drive if you get a flat
2) Goodyears give 3 miles per gallon better mileage
3) Better handling (hard to believe but true)
4) One of widest tires in stock sizes (very square shoulders), look great on car

Con's with runflats
1) Bump steer
2) worse ride
3) don't hook up as well (drag racing/acceleration)
4) tramlining (following ruts and ridges in road) see http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=38

Me, I use OEM Runflats, on third set with 104,000 miles on my 98 Coupe.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 06-23-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NON!!! runflats suck so much ***
Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Regarding the "insurance" part of running runflats: This is a good term to use because like many extended warranties, chances are that you will never need the "insurance" of runflat tires.

I have been driving for more than 33 years and have never been stranded on a highway or unpopulated area because of a blowout. In fact, I have never been stranded, period! Most punctures are almost completely sealed by the object that does the puncturing, leaving at worst, a slow leak that allows you plenty of time to get to any number of hundreds of thousands of tire shops in the country. The fear that some people have about getting stranded is like worrying that the plane you are on will lose all power and crash into the sea. Can it happen? You bet. Will it happen to you in your lifetime? not likely.

To believe it will may mean that you drive around with heavier, side-hopping, hard-as-rock tires that can be changed by few shops and at much greater purchase price. This is akin to keeping an extra battery and alternator in the back at all times.

The difference is truly amazing when you have non-runflats after having runflats. Side-hopping around corners is greatly subdued, the ride is much smoother and quieter, and handling is greatly improved. Of course, this doesn't mean that you should buy $150 tires that are made in Korea. Get superior-handling non-runflat tires and still save money over the OEMs. After all, you are driving a $50,000 all-american sportscar!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Do runflats really give you 3mpg better gas mileage???
I doubt that. I know the stiffer sidewalls help in rolling resistance but 3mpg seems way off. I am considering doing non runflats but would hate to go from about 20mpg average to 17.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Cole
Pro

The choice is complex. There is more than one brand of run flats. Michelins, Firestones, Kumho, plus others, offer improved ride with more flexible sidewall. The trade off is range you can drive while at zero pressure, but usually more than far enough unless you are in the middle of the Mojave desert.

Performance tires are NOT run flat and the Z06 offers Goodyear super tires and they help handling and performance.

You can purchase a Z06 kit for managing flats on the non run flats - or assemble your own for insurance. If in town, you can call for help and if on the highway, you can get a little dirty and solve the problem.

Its a series of trade offs. I picked the performance tires and purchased a continental kit from Tire Rack for the emergencies. Not needed in 18 months so I cannot state how good the emergency kit is. The tires, OTOH, are terrific and provide improved ride, quiet performance, great adhesion and eliminated wheel hop on hard acceleration. Plus, bump steer no longer exists. Al in all, I am pleased with my decision.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

As I have posted before
runflats = insurance

This is the first car I've ever had that had runflats too.It's a weird thing how EVERYONE here thinks getting a flat tire is such a problem. In over 40 years of driving( yeah I'm old) I've only gotten two flat tires. The only reason to be paranoid about it, is because a vette doesn't come with a spare tire.I have Goodyear RF tires on the car and they suck with bump steer and noise issues.However, my next set of tires will be Michelin PS2 runflats( handle better, and less noise), just because I don't want to deal with a flat on the road. I KNOW it doesn't make sense logically, but I guess the Forum has MADE ME PARANOID!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats or Non Run Flats

Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<--------- This is my first Vette and it came with new runflats. I think it drives just fine with them(make sure the tire pressure is correct).
I'm sure non-runflats are much better at handling, however mine is a cruiser and a DD. Like RWS said it is for insurance, not performance.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
1stvette@60
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Dave68
Regarding the "insurance" part of running runflats: This is a good term to use because like many extended warranties, chances are that you will never need the "insurance" of runflat tires.

I have been driving for more than 33 years and have never been stranded on a highway or unpopulated area because of a blowout. In fact, I have never been stranded, period! Most punctures are almost completely sealed by the object that does the puncturing, leaving at worst, a slow leak that allows you plenty of time to get to any number of hundreds of thousands of tire shops in the country. The fear that some people have about getting stranded is like worrying that the plane you are on will lose all power and crash into the sea. Can it happen? You bet. Will it happen to you in your lifetime? not likely.

To believe it will may mean that you drive around with heavier, side-hopping, hard-as-rock tires that can be changed by few shops and at much greater purchase price. This is akin to keeping an extra battery and alternator in the back at all times.

The difference is truly amazing when you have non-runflats after having runflats. Side-hopping around corners is greatly subdued, the ride is much smoother and quieter, and handling is greatly improved. Of course, this doesn't mean that you should buy $150 tires that are made in Korea. Get superior-handling non-runflat tires and still save money over the OEMs. After all, you are driving a $50,000 all-american sportscar!

Excellent observations. Adds some perspective to the age old question.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
vpunteney
Pro

As I have posted before
runflats = insurance

RWS1 has it about as simple as it can be put.

I did the switch to non because I didn't like the ride, noise, and jumping through corners.

I'll take the risk of a flat....
Vinnie

Quick Reply: Run Flats or Non Run Flats