Sponsored by:

iPod2car/iSimple question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
67weaver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod2car/iSimple question

Those of you who have this, when you got it did you install it yourself or have someone install it for you?

If you installed it yourself, how hard was it to install?

If you had someone install it for you, how much did it cost and where?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I installed the ipod2car in my car. I had the CD changer, so I needed a specific cord (GM4 cable - do a search and you will find the exact number of the cable). It really wasn't that hard, took about 10 minutes to take my center console off (I have done it a few times, maybe a little longer, if it is your first time.). Two screws and the head unit was out and unplugged the cord and plugged the new one in. Make sure that your box and cable aren't touching anything hot, that will screw things up for you. Don't ask me how I know.

Micah
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
67weaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mph1972
I installed the ipod2car in my car. I had the CD changer, so I needed a specific cord (GM4 cable - do a search and you will find the exact number of the cable). It really wasn't that hard, took about 10 minutes to take my center console off (I have done it a few times, maybe a little longer, if it is your first time.). Two screws and the head unit was out and unplugged the cord and plugged the new one in. Make sure that your box and cable aren't touching anything hot, that will screw things up for you. Don't ask me how I know.

Micah
Ok, thanks, I think I am going to pick one up tonight after I get off work
Old 07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have a lengthy discussion thread going on about that right now. See the last page. I just received an extra PXHGM4 cable that I will sell at cost, but you must reply in that thread as I offered it there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1752127
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Cozmo
I have a lengthy discussion thread going on about that right now. See the last page. I just received an extra PXHGM4 cable that I will sell at cost, but you must reply in that thread as I offered it there.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
orange
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cozmo

I bought the iSimple from BestBuy. The install was very easy but here are some tips:
  • Make sure you have the extra cable if your car does not have a CD changer.
  • Get some velcro strips or zip-ties before you start. You will want a way to make sure the box doesn't rattle about in the space behind the head unit.

Here's one description of how to get the console off and gain access to the radio. https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=87&TopicID=1

Lots of more information on the other thread.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
mmaynard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everyone else, make sure you have the extra cable before you start. Best Buy said I was good to go but I needed the GM4 cable. Fairly straight forward to install. Print off the step-by-step directions of how to remove waterfall, console, etc. My car is very stock but this has to be the best mod I have done. I took some time trying to decide where to actually put the Ipod. I initially tried the glovebox but I decided I like using the Ipod controls better than using the head unit. I finally use the included mount to put it on the center air conditioning vent. I routed the cable up through the dash. If you have an questions please PM me. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To iPod2car/iSimple question

Quick Reply: iPod2car/iSimple question