Sponsored by:

A Better Backup Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Better Backup Bulb?

I hate the sickly yellow look of my backup lights, so I bought some 18 LED replacements bulbs, which look great, but only put out around 75% of the light. Has anyone found a pure white backup bulb that is at least "as bright" as OEM?

BTW: I don't want to pay the $$$ for the "diamond" cut backup assembly.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Warning

I posted this a week or so but be careful of those 50 watt halogen bulbs advertised. I installed a pair and it wasn't a week and one had burned out. When I tried to get it out, it had "welded" itself to the housing. After much cussing and a soldering gun it came out. I replaced it and upon checking to make sure they worked.....by the time I got around to the rear (turned on the ignition) it had started to burn a hole in the plastic housing! I put the 1157's back in and returned the halogen's.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pres712
I posted this a week or so but be careful of those 50 watt halogen bulbs advertised. I installed a pair and it wasn't a week and one had burned out. When I tried to get it out, it had "welded" itself to the housing. After much cussing and a soldering gun it came out. I replaced it and upon checking to make sure they worked.....by the time I got around to the rear (turned on the ignition) it had started to burn a hole in the plastic housing! I put the 1157's back in and returned the halogen's.
Thanks for the heads up. I probably would have tried that. (My next post would be in parts wanted - looking for backup assembly <G>).

I assume that there's got to be a brighter, cleaner light that stays in the 35 watt range.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the diamond cut back up/ license plate holder and the standard bulb is very bright. Cost more than bulbs but looks great. It's made by Ajure (sp) and Forum vendors sell them.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
I have the diamond cut back up/ license plate holder and the standard bulb is very bright. Cost more than bulbs but looks great. It's made by Ajure (sp) and Forum vendors sell them.
I like the Adjure unit too but way too expensive. If I could just figure a way to get the OEM housing open (safely) I would get the inside chrome plated. MUCH greater reflectivity and would greatly improve the light output onto the ground.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I like the Adjure unit too but way too expensive. If I could just figure a way to get the OEM housing open (safely) I would get the inside chrome plated. MUCH greater reflectivity and would greatly improve the light output onto the ground.
The OEM Reverse Lights do have a smooth concave Chrome backing, it's just not nearly as effective as the Adjures Chrome Diamond cut rear backing. Plus the defused lens of the OEM do help either. The Adjure's are the way to go and well worth the $$$. We have the in stock at $119.00 Shipped
Richard

Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong Richard, I think the diamond cut looks cool and I'm always watching "parts for sale" to pick one up on the cheap. I just don't want to spend the money. I already bought the $32 LEDs which I think look great, but I found that with the standard housing, just were not as effective as the crappy OEM bulbs.

Basically I'm looking for a $50 or less solution.

On the other hand, I am the ultimate impulse buyer, so you may see an order from me next week, you never know.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hi here in the uk you have to have rear fog lights,so i mounted mine where the back up light bulbs where.i then drilled two small holes above
those bulbs,and placed 2 small blue halogen bulbs in,there bright.
and yeah the diamond back up assembly aint cheap but i love it.
when`s yer birthday ...you could try and put 2 of these blue bulbs in each lamp ,got em from autozone on holiday.
you can just see them in the b/up lamp housing..nitro uk

Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mschamberger
Don't get me wrong Richard, I think the diamond cut looks cool and I'm always watching "parts for sale" to pick one up on the cheap. I just don't want to spend the money. I already bought the $32 LEDs which I think look great, but I found that with the standard housing, just were not as effective as the crappy OEM bulbs.

Basically I'm looking for a $50 or less solution.

On the other hand, I am the ultimate impulse buyer, so you may see an order from me next week, you never know.
If you bought those LED bulbs from us and don't want them, we'll be glad to refund them Although if I knew what you were planning to use them for, I would typically have advide against it. So I'm not sure if you bought them from us.
Richard
Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
If you bought those LED bulbs from us and don't want them, we'll be glad to refund them Although if I knew what you were planning to use them for, I would typically have advide against it. So I'm not sure if you bought them from us.
Richard
I've dealt with you before and know you stand behind your products. I bought these LEDs from autolumination.com. (I love LED's, I'll find a use for them. )
Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

just a thought off the top of my head: you just might be able to fit a 9005/9006 headlight bulb in that socket.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
just a thought off the top of my head: you just might be able to fit a 9005/9006 headlight bulb in that socket.
I think the 50 watt draw would be too much. And the heat would melt the plastic.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

amperage draw could be solved with a relay if you really need tha much brightness, and the plastic is the same plastic used in most headlight housings. Since the bulb mount has a plastic mount, i wouldnt' be concerned about melting much. I may just give this a try and see if it will even fit.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:57 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I waiting for someone to put projectors and HID out there...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I got the high powered 1157-LX3 Luxeon LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com

They are just about as bright as the oem bulbs
Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
amperage draw could be solved with a relay if you really need tha much brightness, and the plastic is the same plastic used in most headlight housings. Since the bulb mount has a plastic mount, i wouldnt' be concerned about melting much. I may just give this a try and see if it will even fit.
now we're getting in to the "more trouble then it's worth" area. I appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
I got the high powered 1157-LX3 Luxeon LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com

They are just about as bright as the oem bulbs
Love your Frame & Plate
Richard

Get notified of new replies

To A Better Backup Bulb?

Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
I waiting for someone to put projectors and HID out there...
Porjectors wouldn't be a bad idea...although it's unlikly to see them from the factory meaning there would be custom work involved. HID kits would pretty much be pointless considering the "charge" time and the expense of using them for about 30 seconds at the most any given night.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:43 PM
slverc5
Melting Slicks

Well, without using the Adjure Clear back up lens, I almost positive that you won't be able to make it any more brighter than what it already is- even when using LED's -because the whitish tint on the OEM lens cuts part of the light out. I have the Adjure back up lens

and then I bought some Sylvannia Silverstars for the bulbs, although it now gives an amber illumination - it is brighter than the clear regular back up bulbs!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

this is why auxillary back up lights are so popular among truck owners. At one point I was thinking of mounting a set of them inside the rear facia vents. I think GM decided to do this properly with the C6.

Quick Reply: A Better Backup Bulb?