C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM
vett us all
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gem
My 2001 convertible is my everyday car. I drive it in rain, snow and good weather. It is and always has been garaged. Three weeks ago at about 128,000 miles the back glass window separated from the top. The separation first started at the top and when it got to the sides and started separating at the bottom I stopped driving it.

I’ve done lots of research on this site and others (including BMW, Audi and other convertible top postings). The results are that upholstery people usually say the sealing process is high pressure done under heat at the factory and there is no way to duplicate it in the field so you have to replace the top. Estimates for top replacement range from lows in the area of $500 to $1000 to a high of $3000 with the average being $1000 to $1500.

Some people report glue attempts with total failures after days or weeks. Others report glue success and the glue holding after much longer times.

Those reporting glue success used a variety of glues including: JB Weld, Black silicone RTV sealant, pure clear silicone sealer, 3M high black weatherstrip adhesive, and urethane windshield glue. One person posted that he used a cyanoacrylate glue that he got at a hobby shop. Super glue and its various other names are cyanoacrylate glues.

I did my own research and settled on Rhino Glue which is a specially formulated cyanoacrylate that is waterproof, weatherproof and completely resistant to heat and cold. See www.rhinoglue.com for more information.

I was not able to find this glue in any store and bought it online. This is a totally different glue than Liquid Nails Rhino Ultra Glue. Do not buy the Liquid Nails kind.

Here are pictures of what the separation looked like before I started gluing.

The first one was taken when the separation first started. Compare it with the ones below with the suction cups and you can see the progression of the separation down the side with just a little more driving.

My advice is to catch it before the window comes completely loose.

These round red things are suction dent pullers.

I found these online. They come in a 1, 2, 3 or 4 suction cup variety. www.cvfsupplycompany.com/sucusucupdep3.html. I bought the 4 cup variety without thinking. I got 2 of them (only needed one in the end) for $30 and that included the shipping. When they arrived, I realized that they were too large for the window so I cut them in half. A better choice would have been either the 2 cup or 3 cup ones. I then rigged up a way to pull them so that the glass would be pulled against the fabric. You can see that this simply involved screwing an eye into the rafter above.

I found that if I unlatched the top and lifted it about a foot that it relieved the stretched fabric enough to manually push it against the glass. Note the rubber mallet I used to hold the front of the top up.

I then applied the glue around the glass about 3 to 6 inches at a time. Be careful and test this out before you apply the glue. I made the mistake of starting on the sides and moving toward the middle and was left with a significant bunching at the middle. The glue set up so fast that I actually had to cut the top away from the glass at the corner to smooth out the bunching. At the finish of the job, I was still left with a little bunching at the drivers side. As I’m not a perfectionist and it isn’t very noticeable, I haven’t tried to correct it.

This is the finished job before I removed the dent pullers.

I did the job at 7 PM and left the suction cups attached until the next morning at about 8 AM. I then drove the car to an automated carwash which I figured would be a great test for the bonding strength. It came through with flying colors - no separation of the window from the top and no sign of leaking.

I then drove it 50 miles with no sign of any separation.

If the glue is as advertised, judging by the part I had to remove and redo, I expect it will hold up for a very long time.
YOU THE MAN WILL TRY IT AND HOPE FOR THE SAME RESULTS
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 AM
larryzonka
Instructor

Awesome write up.

As you mentioned.... "My advice is to catch it before the window comes completely loose."

I know this is an old post, but this recently occured to my 2000 vert. It is completely off the frame. Will this repair still work?

FYI -- I don't know the total damages. I am currently overseas and my father told me this happend. I'm returning home next week and I plan on this as one of my projects to work on while home.

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited by larryzonka; 07-25-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently used this write up and Rhino Glue to refasten the rear window on my 00 Vert where it was separating on both sides. Didn't use the suction cups, but put a pillow inside pushed up against the window. Worked perfect and is still holding. Luckily for me, I caught it before it completely separated so it a lot easier.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
GreenDream
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great piece of work.. I have always wondered how I would fix this when mine drops out. Printing for future reference in my Corvette Forum tech book which is getting quite large. This forum and you guys are awesome...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Steve karp
Cruising

I just finished the gluing. The suction cups were not as easy as they look to set at least for me but I ended up combining two methods. I stuffed towels in the rear window (similar to the use of a comforter) from the inside while I used tension on the suction cups outside. The rhino glue seemed to be the key. It was a little runny and I smeared some on the window which I hope to be able to scrape clean when dry but overall it seems to be setting up quickly and adequately. I got some glue on the fabric but it wiped off fairly well. Not a hard job but it is a bit awkward running the glue.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Good write up, thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Ryan040675
Instructor

I've never had this problem with my Vette but I have had it with 2 other Camaros. There is a product made by 3-M called "window weld" that works great too. It comes in a caulk size tube and is available at places like auto paint supply stores.

The suction cup idea is prety slick. I tried resealing by propping from the inside and it was only ever temporary. I finally fixed it "permanently" by removing the canvas from the car and fixing it on the work bench. Never came loose after that and it's been a long time.

If mine goes in the Vette I'll just do the whole top though. I've had a good deal of experience with replacing tops on several cars (used to do classic restos) now and you can't beat a new top. The smell it leaves you with for the next 6 months is pretty cool The parts aren't too bad. It's the upholestry shop labor that sucks. My last Haartz stayfast canvas top ran 475 for pads, window, cables and everything shipped to my house. Shops wanted around 1500!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 AM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM
billv16
3rd Gear

my clamps are mounted and i'mwaiting on the glue to arrive.thanks a bunch.I willput something out when a little time goes by. thank you a bunch.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like I've joined the fraternity. My glass is separating on just one side for now, fortunately. Hopefully, I can nip this thing in the bud. Rhino Glue, here I come.

(several days later)

Applied a light film of Rhino Glue using their little disposable applicator that came with the thing (those are great), rolled up some bubble wrap to place against the window on the rear shelf, let it cure overnight and the repair is done... Nice. I hope the rest of the seal doesn't start giving way, but the side that had the problem looks great. Do you really need to keep the stuff refrigerated after opening? Ah well, no big deal. I have it in the small cooler box I keep in my home office for soda, water, cream for the coffee, etc.

Last edited by JMc; 10-04-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
zoo66man
Cruising

GEM... You are the man!!!.. My '01 just started slipping this AM.. so I'm placing an Order for Rhino NOW... Great post, very detailed!!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

8 months later and my glass is holding firm, after several car washes and up/down cycles.

Rhino Glue is the ticket.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
c7pilot
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used 3m Window Weld part number 08609. Just a tiny bead all the way around (not on the outside) after cleaning with acetone. Also, I used two fluffy pillow to hold the window in place, along with some small weights to keep the edge down on either side.

I just did this, and its not even dry as I wite this, but if the silicone worked as in a previous post, then I am reasonably sure that window urethane is quite probably a superior bonding agent for this job. Good luck, and don't get the stuff on your hands!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 PM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you gem for your helpful posting. My 2000 vert window failed me 4 years ago, don't remember what I used but it held up until a couple of months ago. Followed your recommendation and went with Rhino about 6 hours ago and looking good. Thanks again for your post, got to love this place!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
onetime21
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting a while before I responded back to my 1998 rear window, repair attempt. Well I must say for under $20.00 my attempt was a big success. Today is 9/07/09 and I repaired my window on 11/10/08 almost a year ago after much cold/hot/wet weather and many car washes with pressure, I haven't experienced any leaks or seaperation of any kind. I do have a brotherin law in the body repair bussiness. So heres my story. My rear conv. window was starting to separate, hearing losts of wind going down the highway and didn't know what the issue was, well the next time I lowered my top the window was starting to separate. I was told to get some"3-M window-weld" this is a super fast urethane which looks like shinny tar found at Autozone #08609 has a nascar perfaormance emblem on the front of this 10.5 oz tube, you will need a caulking gun to apply this. The simple steps I took was, I removed the remainder of the window from the canvas top, took some alcohol and cleaned the area where the window was sealed to the canvas top and the window it self where the glue sets, do not remove any of the adhesive from the factory installation this will help the urethane adheive better, after you clean the window and canvas top unhook the two latches that lower your top located by your rear view mirror, raise the top just enough to turn the two locks back into place but rest the conv. top on top of the front window frame should be about and inch of separation. This will allow the top to have enough slace for what your about to do. Be carfull with your two rear window defrost wires. I used two pillows off my bed to place behind the seats to prop the rear window up where it would hold the window in place. Move your rear window around and make sure it aligns up well before the urethane is attemped. Once your sure you have enough pillows or what ever you prop up your rear window with its time for a steady hand. You only need about a 1/4th inch wide run of urethane so I suggest making a test on a piece of paper. Okay now this is where you must be very very careful, with your window in place and aligned, this will take two people, one person will lift the canvas where your bead of urethane will be apllied the other will carfully run a1/4th inch wide bead all the way around the window, DO NOT GET ANY OF THIS ON THE CANVAS TOP REMEMBER BLACK TAR, IF YOU DO GET A LITTLE ON THE CANVAS WIPE IT OFF IMMEDIATELY WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL. Once you finish the entire window making sure you leave to gaps, it must be a solid line, any gaps will be a leak. make sure you check your hands again for clean fingers and then run your finger around the outside edges of the canvas to push the urethane down flat. Some urethane will sweeze out but thats okay don't touch it let it dry for 24-hour then carefully cut only the dried urethane not your canvas top. This has been a very good fix for my vette and very very inexpensive. But this is only a suggestion don't try it if you think its impossible for you to acheive. There are many repair shops that will charge you serveral hundreds of dollars.
The following users liked this post:
Ducks13 (07-27-2020)
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

It's been almost a year now since my Rhino Glue application and several high pressure washes and up/down cycles later, the repair is still holding fast. The Rhino Glue has been put to some other very good use around the house, also. Outstanding stuff!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten

Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent! Needs to be 'stickied'!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
kraftydude
1st Gear

Went with the Rhino glue, pretty easy fix and quite cost effective compared to the new top I was told I needed, thx gem.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
E-Chick
1st Gear

Default Thank you so much!

My rear vert window popped out as well...

...found this thread, and I can't thank you enough!

I bought the suction cups and the Rhino glue. My husband and son actually did the repair since they are both well over 6' tall and were able to coordinate the handling of the fabric and the gluing at the same time.

WORKED LIKE A CHARM! It's been several months and no issues!

Quick Reply: Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten