Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Johnser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable. It worked for me. Just a couple of light taps.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked for me...once..twice, third time I just put in a new window unit. Around $100 if you get it from a low mileage car. Corvettes get wrapped around trees all the time. Try C5R 427, he always has good parts.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks another tip being booked marked
Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
MPRTKLR
Melting Slicks

Ok, so my passenger window is stuck and I tried closing the door hard while holding down the button and now I tried this with no luck. I am curious as to if it matter which button you are holding down, the one on the drivers side door or the passenger door. I cant really see why it would matter but then again this isn't the most scientific fix. Also, how hard should I be hitting the screwdriver with the hammer? I tried this by myself, using the pass side controls and using my knee to keep the hammer in place. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM
MPRTKLR
Melting Slicks

Ok so I have tried slamming the door shut while holding the pass side button, slamming the door while repeatedly pressing the pass side button, slamming the door while holding the driver side button, slamming the door while repeatedly pressing the driver side button (yes I have long arms). I also tried the hammer trick while holding the pass side button and also repeatedly pressing the pass side button. I thought I was doomed. However, I went and got an assistant with not having much confidence, I had her repeatedly press the driver side button while I used the hammer a little harder and IT WORKED. I have no idea if it matters that which button you press, but apparently for my car it mattered and I needed two people, since shutting the door hard is one thing but using a hammer is another. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
cepter
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea, the bang on the door, smash it with a hammer or whatever else can get your motor up and running again.... but on a passenger door, it is because of lack of use and it is just jammed, so in that case, it will fix it.. but on the drivers side... it stopped working usually because the motor is bad / burned out. which is my case... so does anyone know the steps on how to change a motor/regulator.. I just purchased a brand new one... I just have no idea how to do the replacement ( drivers side)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by cepter
yea, the bang on the door, smash it with a hammer or whatever else can get your motor up and running again.... but on a passenger door, it is because of lack of use and it is just jammed, so in that case, it will fix it.. but on the drivers side... it stopped working usually because the motor is bad / burned out. which is my case... so does anyone know the steps on how to change a motor/regulator.. I just purchased a brand new one... I just have no idea how to do the replacement ( drivers side)
Do a search on this forum or over in the Tech side, someone has a writeup on how to change out the regulator. I hear it isn't hard. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
nizzit
Advanced

just bumping this up and thanking you for posting this. Passenger window on my o4 vert stopped working. Found this post, went out and held the passenger button and hit the arm rest with my hand...............like magic it rolled down.

Thanks!!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
J R not Ewing
Advanced

A BIG "THANKS" for this little trick. I think that's why they put that little cover there........
I took the door panel off last time.
Tkx,
J R
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

It is worth noting the suggestion to bump the window down a fraction of an inch to reverse the motor and unload the drive gears. Since I have been doing this, my window has not stuck again.
You can hit the down and up buttons quickly enough that the glass only drops 1/16 inch, so it still seals in the weatherstrip.

Before doing this, I have had almost brand new window regulators stick, so I knew it was not a problem with the motor or worn drive mechanism.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:28 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default stuck passenger window

YES !!!!!!!!
The screwdriver and hammer work great for the passenger side window.
I have replaced 2 motors on this vehicle.
If I had know this several years ago I am betting I could have saved some money.........twice. It's always the passenger.....NEVER the driver's side for me.

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Wolfmanjohn
Melting Slicks

Default Many thanks!!!

This worked for me last week on my '04 coupe. Yes, I'm guilty of not using the passenger window much, but will exercise it now.

I just used a torx driver inserted into the screw and tapped on it with a "bozo" hammer while my wife repeatedly pressed the driver side down button; worked on the third whack.

Then I took a little drive to the local stealership to buy a couple of new covers, as a few of the little retaining tongs on the original broke. Guess that plastic gets a little brittle after 7 years.

Sure beat removing the door panel, though. This is only the second problem I've had with this car since I drove it off the showroom floor; both minor.

Many thanks again for great info and a simple, effective fix!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Gunny Highway
Racer

Didn't work for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM
caribracer
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excellent fix

Excellent advice. My passenger window hasn't worked for 6 months but I had put off buying the new motor. But now that temps here in Florida are nice enough to have the top off, I couldn't wait any longer. I was ready to order a new motor but read this thread this morning and decided there was nothing to lose. It took 4 hits but then "BOOM" down it goes. Thanks again for great advice!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Good tips. My new (to me) 02 vert pass window control works fine but I would like to know how to disable it. That way my wife can't raise her window when we driving with the top down and I won't run the risk of being called gay or shot with a pellet gun. thanks…
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
TomsZ06
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
Just tried this method myslef with no success. How hard its it to remove the door panel?
I just tried it and no luck. I do hear the clicking sound but that it.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
caribracer
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not have hit it hard enogh. Also, I did mine by myself. The windows are automatic so all you have to do is hit the down button and hit the hammer against the screwdriver pretty hard 3 or 4 times and it will just start down.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Never a problem with a convertible....windows get plenty of exercise!
That's for sure!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Never a problem with a convertible....windows get plenty of exercise!
if there is a downside, it's that the windows remain in the down position for long periods of time (at least down here in florida) , lol!!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
B2rolo
1st Gear

Default Amazing

Worked for me! How awesome.

Quick Reply: Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!