Help Led Tail light Hyperflash issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help Led Tail light Hyperflash issue

Greets All,

I have recently run into a issue that I need help with. In the pictures below is one of my drivers side tail light. Recently my drivers side tail lights started hyperflashing, and at first I thought it was a burned out signal bulb, but that isnt the case, so I thought maybe the resistor burned out. I took the tail lights out and this is what it looks like, its a direct plug in. The passenger side is fine no issues, so my question is:

1) Does this look familiar to anyone as who sells this type of tail light so I can contact the vendor.

2) would it be correct for me to assume the heatsink block on the back of the tail light is the resistor encased?

Or am I looking totally in the wrong location?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Do you have any other LEDs installed on the car? If so, you probably need to install a hyperflash harness behind your driver's side knee bolster. The LEDs draw less current the the OEM halogen bulbs so the car's brain thinks you have a burnt-out bulb, thus causing the hyperflash.

In your case, does the front, same side, turn signal bulb also hyperflash?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That block on the back of the housing should hold the resistor. Units like these are typically advertised as not requiring a hyperflash harness. Could be that the resistor is shot.

There are a number of vendors that sell LED tail lamps so you may want to look at their websites to see if there are pics that match what you have.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:27 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Do you have any other LEDs installed on the car? If so, you probably need to install a hyperflash harness behind your driver's side knee bolster. The LEDs draw less current the the OEM halogen bulbs so the car's brain thinks you have a burnt-out bulb, thus causing the hyperflash.

In your case, does the front, same side, turn signal bulb also hyperflash?
Yes but the front signal bulb is a halogen, not LED.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
That block on the back of the housing should hold the resistor. Units like these are typically advertised as not requiring a hyperflash harness. Could be that the resistor is shot.

There are a number of vendors that sell LED tail lamps so you may want to look at their websites to see if there are pics that match what you have.
Thanks thats why I had put it here first, as I know there are alot of vendors, but I was hoping someone would recognize it possibly. I had a feeling that block was the resistor and being the way its sealed there's no chance to get to it and replace it, short of cutting the wires coming out of it as close as possible and adding a new resistor and resolidering it.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Yes but the front signal bulb is a halogen, not LED.

Thanks thats why I had put it here first, as I know there are alot of vendors, but I was hoping someone would recognize it possibly. I had a feeling that block was the resistor and being the way its sealed there's no chance to get to it and replace it, short of cutting the wires coming out of it as close as possible and adding a new resistor and resolidering it.
Try swapping it out with one of the other working tail lights. If the hyperflash follows the light than it's probably the resistor.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Try swapping it out with one of the other working tail lights. If the hyperflash follows the light than it's probably the resistor.
I was thinking of doing that, but obviously not knowing which it is, basically I would have to change either both, or one at a time and see which is causing it.

I went searching on google to see if I can find this one, but none really show the back side of the light.

Then I went trying to do a search for how to make one yourself, but so far havent found a DIY on making one.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:23 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Well here is a twist, tonight I decided to take it out to go to my GF's house after dinner, and now its working fine?! WTF, after a month now it decides to work again. Makes no sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Led Tail light Hyperflash issue

Quick Reply: Help Led Tail light Hyperflash issue