Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F45 car...squeaks over bumps?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM
rare-72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F45 car...squeaks over bumps?????

Chasing a low speed suspension squeak here. I replaced the sway bar bushings with new GM ones using the the correct lube. It still squeaks but now it rides firmer too. I guess the old bushings were spongy. I disconnected the sway bar links and it still squeaked testing it, but rode softer. The shocks do not leak and change stiffness on selection. I assume the new bushings are affecting the ride. Is there a way to test the F45 shocks? What else could cause a low speed bump squeak? It does not make any noise at speed.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
OfficeGuy
Instructor

I have the same problem. Mine has 61k on it.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I get a slight squeak from the left front. Only happens now and then. I can't pinpoint it but I'm starting to think it's not the suspension.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
rare-72
Racer

I put the car on an alignment lift. I bounced the suspension pretty hard by pulling down on the swaybars from underneath, and the only small squeak I could find was coming from the right front. But, driving over speed bumps it seem that both the front and back squeak. I have been told that sound can travel through a car, but this is perplexing.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Sorry, there is no way to check the shock if it is not leaking on F45 cars. I went through all of the headaches you are now experiencing....they will get worse...throw codes, start a crunching sound over speed bumps, etc. Start looking for Z06 shox, sways and end links and have the dealer replace all and disable the F45 with a tech II.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 08-29-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: getting old
Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
rare-72
Racer

The previous owner of my car replaced the original F45's with new ones less than a year ago. Saved me some big $$$. I don't think they are the problem. I like the way the F45's work so they are staying on the car till they wear out.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 PM
rare-72
Racer

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
OfficeGuy
Instructor

What other problems can occur? The last 2 days my traction control has been going on and off by itself (with nothing unusual showing up on the DIC) and this morning the button strarted to not work. I could not turn the traction control off. Has anybodyelse seen this? I might have to start another post about it. Its annoying.

I did notice that the softer the suspension setting- the more it squeaked. I believe that the squeak is the shocks.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
0bigGdaddy
Former Vendor

This is more than likely your sway bar bushings. you will either have to grease them or replace them to get rid of the squeaking
Old 08-30-2007, 11:44 AM
OfficeGuy
Instructor

....any ideas about the traction control issue? The fact that I can't turn it off is annoying me.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

No answer on the traction control issue...unless its pulling a code than its hard to tell...maybe its just a bad switch.

As for the F45 squeak. I have the EXACT same squeak on my F45 car. I have about 60K miles on it too. Just last week, i pulled the swaybar bushings off and re-lubed them with white lithium grease. This helped a little but ultimately, the squeaking is still there. I did both front and both rear bushings. I also lubed up the endlinks with a shot of 30 weight oil just to see if it would make a difference. It didnt.

I figure the shocks must be the problem but until i get the reduced speed warning, i am not replacing anything as they are just too expensive.

We will see...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
OfficeGuy
Instructor

Pulled codes. This is what I got:

DTC B2597 Traction Control System Switch Circuit

I started a thread about this already. You're right it's probably the switch. Considering that the f45 selector switch and the Active Control button are together- this is going to cost me a few bucks.....if I can actually get one! Oh well....
Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 AM
rare-72
Racer

I re-lubed the new sway bar bushing with the GM recommend lube and it still squeaks. Now I am going to attack everything that moves with silicon spray and see if I can find out what it is.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mine does it too, but it doesn't do it often actually. not nearly enough to bother me. when I first got it it would squeak all the time, it has since all but stopped just be driving it. I like the F45, I think my plan is to keep running this setup until something finally wares out then replace it all with the newer F55 components. from what I understand its pretty much a plug and play operation to replace with F55 struts and drop the F55 computer in place of the 45's. the F55 is supposed to be much better, and doesn't cost that much more than replacing the F45 struts when they go out. I have 76k on mine now.

Get notified of new replies

To F45 car...squeaks over bumps?????

Quick Reply: F45 car...squeaks over bumps?????