Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be interested in a Bi-Mode exhaust system for the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Would you be interested in a Bi-Mode exhaust system for the C5?

Hi All,

I am doing a little research.

Would you be interested in a Bi-Mode Exhaust for the C5 similar to the C6 Z06 or the New 08 C6 NPP Bi-Mode exhaust.

An Exhaust that gives you either Loud or Quiet at a push of a button and is also rpm operated? So you could have Full open (Loud Mode), Full Closed(Quiet Mode), and Rpm Open mode where the mufflers open up to LOUD at a chosen rpm..

Put your vote in and post me a note on what you think of the idea!

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 09-25-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Modified" Exhaust?

I believe only C-5 owners who modify their cars would be interested! Sounds cool to me, I already have flowmasters however.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think i am correct in saying this would require new muffs?
But just wanted to ask to get a correct answer,
I am running the Ti exh with headers and am happy with it, not sure i would change, but then again iv said i wouldn't do somthing then went ahead and did it anyway
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

Rob,

It would probably be new mufflers to make a Bi-Mode system for the C5.

Although a new x-pipe with controllable cut outs would do the trick too.....

Keep the opinions coming!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

When I first considered a new catback, I was hoping that such a thing were available, but was saddened to find out only the C6 had such a feature. I ultimately went with a Corsa Pace car which I am quite pleased with.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I think it would be cool to be able to hammer it sometimes and still be stealthy.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
I believe only C-5 owners who modify their cars would be interested! Sounds cool to me, I already have flowmasters however.
Flowmasters? They sound really great. What kind of setup do you have on a Vette? More info plez...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 AM
toofazt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how does this idea differ from an electric cutout?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by toofazt
So how does this idea differ from an electric cutout?
Sorta the same thing.

You could have a rpm opening mode that opens the valves at a chosen rpm.

Its pretty much the same idea, but maybe no welding needed and a bolt in application.

Just wanted to see if here was any interest in this kind of setup as I am working on it for the C6 cars.

Thanks for the question.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
toofazt
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Sorta the same thing.

You could have a rpm opening mode that opens the valves at a chosen rpm.

Its pretty much the same idea, but maybe no welding needed and a bolt in application.

Just wanted to see if here was any interest in this kind of setup as I am working on it for the C6 cars.

Thanks for the question.
The rpm opening mode would be cool if you could get the valve to open quickly. I have a QTP electric cutout and the only thing I don't like about it is that it takes 8 seconds to open or close the butterfly valve. Or even if you didn't have the rpm mode, it would still be worth while to engineer a quick 1 second open/closing cutout
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds cool.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

The rpm opening mode would be cool if you could get the valve to open quickly. I have a QTP electric cutout and the only thing I don't like about it is that it takes 8 seconds to open or close the butterfly valve. Or even if you didn't have the rpm mode, it would still be worth while to engineer a quick 1 second open/closing cutout
On the C6 system its vacuum operated and the valves open and shut in less than a second.

Its like: Clink...open, clink ...closed. I can open and close them in one second total. Thats whats sorta neat about the system. The vacuum slams them open and slams them closed real fast.

On my C6 setup I have full open, rpm open , and full closed modes. And can choose between any mode from a wireless remote from up to 100 feet away.

I have them set to open at 2000 RPM. There is NO DRONE on the freeway and is totally quiet, and they open right up when you get over 2000 rpm and sound meaner. You can also just have them wide open, or closed all the time and can pick the rpm at which they open in rpm open mode.They open fast.

I looked into the electric cutout and didnt like the slow opening so I retrofitted the Z06 mufflers and designed the controller to operate them.

I agree though. It would need to open and close fast to be really cool.

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 09-26-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds cool to me. It would be nice to lose the drone when taking road trips, but still scare the pee out of the soccer mom cruising in the left lane when you nail it to pass her!
I would consider doing the upgrade.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 AM
toofazt
Instructor

Then I think that would be a great idea if you could get them to open/close that quick. Any idea on price? Would you sell the "cutout" alone w/o the rpm actuator?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Then I think that would be a great idea if you could get them to open/close that quick. Any idea on price? Would you sell the "cutout" alone w/o the rpm actuator?
No Idea on price yet, but thats part of what I am looking at. I dont know if I will develop the system or not yet. It really depends on the opinions and reactions to the idea.

What would be a good price in you opinion?

I know the electric cutouts are around $300-400 for a set and the controller is $110 and not rpm activated.

There also could be several versions, maybe a full catback, a cutout, or just mufflers. With each version including the controller and lines if vacuum operated.

Right now I'm just Gauging interest on it and I really appreciate the feedback everyone is giving.

I want to branch out to all Corvettes and bring a little something different to the table as far as exhausts go.

I think maybe the vacuum is the way to go as it opens and closes so quick, but if I found a way to do it fast with electrics that would work too.

Keep the questions and suggestions coming!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:04 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
Sounds cool to me. It would be nice to lose the drone when taking road trips, but still scare the pee out of the soccer mom cruising in the left lane when you nail it to pass her!
I would consider doing the upgrade.
I agree. It's the best of both worlds for me. Super Quiet on the freeway when you want it to be and then can open it up and be loud and get attention too!

The rpm open mode is also really cool. Right as it starts to wind up, clink: the valves open and the meanness comes out! While also eliminating the drone zone rpms.....
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

sounds like a good idea. I liked it when i saw it on the C6

Get notified of new replies

To Would you be interested in a Bi-Mode exhaust system for the C5?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Great idea. Count me in.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
96CEC4
Melting Slicks

CI 4-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

You'll sell a ton. I can't tell you how many people have wanted to buy the setup that I have on my car. I put QTP cutouts on my stock mufflers shortly after I bought the car in '04. I love having the option of rumbling into a parking lot, running quietly down the highway, or anything that I choose. I put mine right on the downpipe behind the pumpkin. It worked great with my car when it was stock, and I can't imagine a better muffler setup that I have a built engine, longtubes and HF cats.

Quick Reply: Would you be interested in a Bi-Mode exhaust system for the C5?