Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coupe vs vert.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
67funcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coupe vs vert.

I have been shopping for a 02-04 coupe but now have found a nice convertible that appeals to me. I'm not sure which way to go. Most of my driving in this area would be with top up (unfortunately) so I'm not sure I should choose a convertible, but the vert sure looks great with the top down !!. It seems there is probably less luggage storage in a vert and slightly less rear and side visibility too.
What do I do???

How much less luggage room is there? Is there anybody out there who is sorry they bought a vert?

Thanks for your comments.
67 funcar
Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
elctroman
Pro

well i have a coupe an i would not buy a vert for a vert for the simple reason is the luggage space and the noise..we go on a family trip every year and my friend has a vert ..i drive mine he has to take his SUV when we got to the resort i started unloading the vette .he said dand how did you get so much stuff in there .!st of all you do need to know how to pack driving the vette ..he has told me #of times he would not buy another convertivle mainly because of wind noise,but he can get 2 sets og gold clubs in the trunk ,he just has to wear dirty clothes the whole time he is on vacation
Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
78-Bandit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd vert, and I would never even consider a coupe. Sure there is less trunk space, and around philly, my top down days are limited, but it's worth it for the days the top comes down. Check out the vert and pop the trunk. Decide on your own if you can live with the smaller trunk. But also, take a drive with the top down, and see the difference.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I LOVE MY COUPE!!!! Pop the top, it's open air. Install the top and it's quiet and warm. And it sure looks cool (like a Ferrari) with that targa off!

John
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Have an 04 vert and I love it ! With the top up I think there is alot of room in the trunk. Less of course with it down but there is nothing like crusin with the top down. We take it to the Jersey Shore often and everything fits in it good.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had 3 verts and dont even consider a coupe, that said there is less storage, but the noise issue is a non issue as I dont think the coupe is any quieter when the top is up (ihave ridden in lots of coupes), just buy what you like there is no such thing as a bad vette IMHO.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Verts are
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
DAN01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '01 coupe and a '06 vert. When we go away for the week-end we take the vert. If we go for about a week I take the coupe. There is more room in the coupe but the openess of the vert when the top is down is nice.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Cart99
Racer

I love my vert, and would never even consider a coupe.

However, it's gotta be right for you -- if you think you would seldom put the top down, you may not like it as well as a coupe or FRC.

Take it for a drive and see for yourself. You may be surprised how snug and quiet the car is with the top up, and there is no substitute for top-down motoring.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Queue the, "this has never been discussed here before" responses.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Vert for me

Im 6'3" and drove coupes, HT(Z06), and the vert. Most HEADROOM in the vert with the top DOWN. 2nd was the Z06 and lastly the coupe.
If you are 6' or under it doesn't matter. But if tall look at the vert.
I forgot I had the C5 and was at Sams buying a lot of stuff. Came out and was really surprised that I got all of it into the trunk. It is really large for what you would consider a SMALL car. Even with the top in the trunk there is still a lot of space. Go look for yourself.
Noise over 90MPH is higher but around here who goes 90MPH. BIGHANK
Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
cletus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cart99
I love my vert, and would never even consider a coupe.

However, it's gotta be right for you -- if you think you would seldom put the top down, you may not like it as well as a coupe or FRC.

Take it for a drive and see for yourself. You may be surprised how snug and quiet the car is with the top up, and there is no substitute for top-down motoring.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
MURPHY55347
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 40 Posts

When I went looking I was not even considering a vert as I live in Minnesota and how often would really use it. Found and 04 white on white at a dealer and instantly fell in love with the look. I can put the top down in less time than it takes my friend to remove his glass top an stow it. There is nothing better than a fall drive in the countryside with the top down. I have the top down much more than I thought I ever would. On the highway noise is not bad, wind buffeting is less than a coupe unless there is a big cross wind and then I just put the windows up a bit, and there is as much storage as I need. My $.02
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
WenD
Racer

When I was shopping for my Vette I was sure I wanted a coupe until I laid eyes on a beautiful white vert with red interior and only 1100 miles on the clock. I had never even ridden in a vert before. I took it for a test ride with the top down and 2 hours later it was in my driveway I'm lovin my vert
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It all depends on what your preference is. I had a C4 coupe for 10 years, and never had the top on, so I got rid of it and got a C5 vert, and the top is down every chance I get.

If you want to do any track racing (road course or 1/4 mile) I would suggest getting a coupe, but if you like to get together with other Vette guys and do some spirited driving topless, I would go with the vert. It has a little stiffer frame and you won't notice any body flexing like you will with the targa off a coupe.

As far as traveling with a vert, it is all in knowing how to pack. I am a classical musician, and I can get three trumpets, a suitcase, garment bag, duffel bag and three brief cases full of music in the back of my car...just have to keep the top up.

The only draw back I see with a vert is the security issue that comes along with having a rag top...but that is what having full coverage in both auto and homeowners insurance is for.

Whatever you decide to get, enjoy it.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
67funcar
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. I would like to hear more about wind noise. Is the vert much worse than a coupe?

ZZ4, the car I am looking at looks just like yours. Nice.

67funcar
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
rayncris
Pro

the wind noise is something you really have to judge for yourself. Either way, there are the pro's and con's. The simple answer to all these similar questions is you need to go and drive both. Our opinions are just that...our opinions, and heavily biased too (unless you own(ed) both.
I NEED to have a atleast a vert. I want a FRC (fixed roof coupe -love the look) to add to the vert. But, the vert was a NEED.

Good luck and remember to wave.

Get notified of new replies

To coupe vs vert.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
way2nutz
Advanced

The only time I get 'wind' noise in my 03 vert is when the tops down! No wind noise what so ever with it up. Road noise? Oh ya....you can basically hear every little pebble go by in the asphalt. If I wanted quiet and mushy I'd drive the Tahoe......

Also, the vert has more than enough room for a week long trip for two. Pack smart and utilze the storage compartments.... a coupe will haul more......as long as you dont plan on putting that dining room table sized top in the back!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
snailrail
Instructor

I was very scared to buy a vert because I heard they are loud, wear out, leak, can't heat/cool.... BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! It is all BS! It is not loud. The roof has an inner liner that covers the brackets and roof supports so looks as good as any factory headliner. The AC sill freeze you out of the car in a matter of minutes in the Texas sun. The trunk is huge, has all the floor space of a coupe, you just loose a little height. The top folds into the truck so you will loose a little space when it is down. You can actually fit a number of items between the top and the back of the seat when it is folded down in the trunk. It is much quieter with the top down than any coupe I have been in with the top off. And all the vert/coupe top up/down storage space is BS anyways, because a coupe looses almost all of its storage space when the top is in the back.
The only negative to the vert is the rear pillars are rather wide. With the top up, you will have less visibility out the rear corners as a coupe. This can get a little annoying when backing out of a parking spot with tall cars on both sides of you. Nothing matches the visibility with the top down.
Go look it over and take a test drive. It can't hurt.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
67 Nova
Advanced

There is plenty of room. We did 15 day trip to the west coast and had plenty of clothes etc. Like someone said you have to know how to pack. I vote vert. I have had both and I prefer the vert. There is just something about having the top down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coupe vs vert.