Sponsored by:

changing in cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
vettesonotyet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing in cabin air filter

This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find any information on how to change the in cabin air filter in a 2004 vette. It's a convertible but I don't see how that would matter. I read a post somewhere that said there was a door located behind the battery area but on this vette that's just the firewall. Is there another place it would be?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

There is none unless someone bought something after market or DIY.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
vettesonotyet
5th Gear

Is that because of the year you are saying that? I'm still searching under different topics and I saw another post where someone said they didn't start until 2005. Not sure if that was correct though?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM
vettesonotyet
5th Gear

The reason I'm really asking is because I'm trying to trouble shoot what seems to be a overly noisy blower and I thought maybe the problem could be the in cabin filter if it was all clogged up and the blower motor was cavitating because of the filter being clogged? So, I have to find the filter first... If there is no filter on that year, that nixes that idea...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

I have an '04 Z16 and it doesn't have one...pretty sure none of the C5 cars had them. The only past C5/Z06 discussions that I recall about them concerned the after market offerings.
ECKLER'S (?) has an after market C5/Z06 foam "filter" that covers the cowl area, but those that have them are not impressed with them from past discussions. It might be a C6/Z06 offering, but I'm not sure.
If you try a search in C5 Tech, you might find something...try keywords "noisy blower motor" or words similar.
Most complaints of blower motor noise have to do with rodents getting into the interior at the blower motor and leaving nuts, if not their bones, to cause noise.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-30-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
mike348
Burning Brakes

The 04 coupe does not have one
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
vettesonotyet
5th Gear

Well, that appears to answer my first question then. Thanks

Not sure then what would make the blower fan be so loud? Anyone elses seem loud? It almost sounds like it is cavitating because it's being blocked or something. Maybe that's just the way it is??
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
vettesonotyet
5th Gear

did some quick searches under noisy blower motor, noisy fan motor, noisy a/c, etc, etc and not really getting any real hits. Most people talking about cooling fans, etc. Maybe that's just the way it is? Seems to drone fairly loudly when it's on high speed. Not so bad when it's on low. Maybe vette blowers are just louder than other cars?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Try "rodents in heater" in C5 Tech, using "search this forum" in the red banner...you should find the old discussions about things that get into the fan and cause noise...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by vettesonotyet
Well, that appears to answer my first question then. Thanks

Not sure then what would make the blower fan be so loud? Anyone elses seem loud? It almost sounds like it is cavitating because it's being blocked or something. Maybe that's just the way it is??
I believe there are flaps or some such in the system that control where the airflow goes (i.e. floor, dash vents, windshield). Sometimes they stick or don't respond when you change your vent settings; could this be your problem?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 AM
mythirdwish
Instructor

You probably have debris that has made its way into the blower cage...happened to mine the first fall season, lots of leaves suck into the low pressure area behind the hood....made my own filter from air conditioner foam at home depot...prob gone!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mythirdwish
You probably have debris that has made its way into the blower cage...happened to mine the first fall season, lots of leaves suck into the low pressure area behind the hood....made my own filter from air conditioner foam at home depot...prob gone!
Care to share and post pics?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a "Filter, Cowl Air Vent" part number 33966 from Eckler's for $10.99, it works great.

This is my second one, first one lasted over 5 years. I clean it by vacuuming it. It is basically a air conditioner foam cut to fit over the cowl air intake vent with a couple of pieces of two-sided tape to hold it on. It barelys shows with the hood closed, you can just see the edge from the driver's seat looking under the hood.

You could make one, like the previous poster said, but for $11 why bother?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettesonotyet
This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find any information on how to change the in cabin air filter in a 2004 vette. It's a convertible but I don't see how that would matter. I read a post somewhere that said there was a door located behind the battery area but on this vette that's just the firewall. Is there another place it would be?

Thanks
I don't have any pics, but there is a filter that's inside the heater/ac core that can be replaced. It's probably a pretty messy job of taking everything apart, but worth it if you're not getting airflow thru your vents. Mostly a problem in really dusty dirty areas.

Get notified of new replies

To changing in cabin air filter

Quick Reply: changing in cabin air filter