Sponsored by:

Blackout Taillight owners....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
DAYUIZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackout Taillight owners....

I've got Corvette Enhancements black out tail lights and they look great during the day however I don't think they let enough light out while the parking lights / driving lights are on at night. Obviously when you coat your brake lights with a black coating its going to let less light out but I didn't think it would be this dark. It concerns me that my tail lights may be too dark while driving at night.

So my question is, have any of you found a bright bulb replacement? So far the only thing I've seen that looks like it works well is the LED Halo black outs and I may just end up going that way.

I just tried out a 32 LED replacement bulb from http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm , the 11th bulb down priced at $13.99 each. Here's another link: http://autolumination.com/matrix.htm . I can't tell you how disappointing they are. Clearly the OEM bulb is much brighter than the LED replacement. And they hyper flash. I know there's plenty of solutions to that problem, but with how weak these LEDs are its not even worth it. Where as the OEM bulb lights up the whole tail light housing, the LED bulb shines a small light pattern on the lense. The best way I can describe it is if someone held up a blanket and had someone else shine a flashlight on the back of it while you looked at the blanket from the other side. A small area of light is all you see.

So, anyone have a solution out there? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the LED Halo black outs from Corvette Enhancements?

-Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I do not have blacked out tails for this very reason. I was afraid someone would hit me and I would be responsible because of the poor lighting.

CF member PeterPan has some awesome looking black cherry LED tails. Check those out before you pull the trigger on any new tails. They are pretty sweet.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM
86_Vette
Burning Brakes

I have been kicking around the idea for a while now. I think if I would do the taillight black out, I would not do the center brake light for safety reasons.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM
DAYUIZ
Racer

Originally Posted by 86_Vette
I have been kicking around the idea for a while now. I think if I would do the taillight black out, I would not do the center brake light for safety reasons.
My center brake light has not been blacked out and I think it looks funny that way. Four black tail lights and one red center light doesn't really match. And the center brake light is only on when you're braking. My concern is for the a-hole not paying attention at night and slamming into me while I'm minding my own business in my own lane.

-Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
krm_wi_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Black Cherry Halo's, they are definately bright enough at night. I did check out the other process where the oem tail light lenses are tinted but opted for the Halo's. I think the only time they don't seem as bright is on a sunny day and the sun is full force on the back end of the car. Other than that, they are plenty bright. I do not think that you will find LED's that will be bright enough as a replacement for the incandescent oem bulbs. You will also have to think about the LED flasher that Richard sells in case you have hyper flash. Good luck!!

Last edited by krm_wi_C5; 01-23-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
RUNNINGMAN 1
Racer

Or ya could just black out a portion
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have CE's black cherry coated OEM's and they look plenty bright to me at night. The only drivers I worry about rear-ending me at night are the distracted cell-phone talkers, drunks and those fiddling with the radio instead of looking at the road ahead. I was rear-ended at a traffic light by a kid playing with his radio at 45 mph several years ago and it's happened to friends of mine as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
hollyt
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I have the Black Cherry's also.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
DocHorton
Racer

Those are awesome! Where/How did you get those tail-lights?

Originally Posted by RUNNINGMAN 1
Or ya could just black out a portion
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

should'a done the black cherry halo LEDs.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozmo
I do not have blacked out tails for this very reason. I was afraid someone would hit me and I would be responsible because of the poor lighting.

CF member PeterPan has some awesome looking black cherry LED tails. Check those out before you pull the trigger on any new tails. They are pretty sweet.
I got the very first set from Richard and the Black Cherry LEDs are very bright at night and plenty bright during the daytime. I have never had an issue with the LEOs or anyone telling me they could not see them. Those LEDs are one of my favorite bling mods and after 1 1/2 years they work flawless for me, this is the only way to go is HALOs in LED
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
DAYUIZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peter pan
I got the very first set from Richard and the Black Cherry LEDs are very bright at night and plenty bright during the daytime. I have never had an issue with the LEOs or anyone telling me they could not see them. Those LEDs are one of my favorite bling mods and after 1 1/2 years they work flawless for me, this is the only way to go is HALOs in LED
In my best Stewie Griffen voice, "DAMN!!!"

So thats what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options out there. Thanks for confirming Halo LEDs are the only way to go.

-Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAYUIZ
In my best Stewie Griffen voice, "DAMN!!!"

So thats what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options out there. Thanks for confirming Halo LEDs are the only way to go.

-Steve
Your welcome and these Halo LEDs are the real deal and everyone who sees them lit up at night in person are surprised how bright they are and they really are very bright with the brake pedal depressed

Last edited by peter pan; 01-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
hayman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pulled over and ticketed for having them. No fine just had to go to police station and prove that I had removed them.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
chrisorris24
Racer

Originally Posted by peter pan
Your welcome and these Halo LEDs are the real deal and everyone who sees them lit up at night in person are surprised how bright they are and they really are very bright with the brake pedal depressed

peter pans car has the sexiest A** of all!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM
pimpjames
Burning Brakes

Another Black Cherry Halo fan!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
krm_wi_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hayman
I was pulled over and ticketed for having them. No fine just had to go to police station and prove that I had removed them.

Did you have the LED Halo's or just regular blackouts?

Get notified of new replies

To Blackout Taillight owners....

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
gurlzluv2havfun2
Racer

Sorry to butt in but what are these black cherry halos??? I currently have the blacked out lenses that fit over your lights and I get plenty of light through those. Way more so than on the thrid brake light and my side markers which i spray tinted.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
DAYUIZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gurlzluv2havfun2
Sorry to butt in but what are these black cherry halos??? I currently have the blacked out lenses that fit over your lights and I get plenty of light through those. Way more so than on the thrid brake light and my side markers which i spray tinted.
http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_cherry.php

The "cherry" refers to the light tint on the red tail light which looks like about the same color as a glass of cherry coke. The Halo refers to the Halo 32 LED tail lights. Combine the two.... cherry halo's.

-Steve
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gurlzluv2havfun2
They are LEDs and they are cool when lit and very bright

Quick Reply: Blackout Taillight owners....