Sponsored by:

More on How Corvette Owners are Perceived

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More on How Corvette Owners are Perceived

Here are my thoughts of what the others in the world think of us- as first time Corvette Z06 owner ( Nov 2007) that is well into a midlife crisis Going to turn 50 soon- nowhere near the end of my mid life period - which by the way merely means we can do what the Frick we want to do.

1) Young Women - often like Corvettes ( the 30 and under group)
2) Mature Women- think Vette are "Cheesy Mid Life cars ( very true); a phallic shaped car that makes up for a man's inadequate size ( OUCH) I have heard that one from women since in High School in the 70's;
3) However- they lie; my wife loves to drive the Vette
4) that Vette owners are obsessive- like not driving their cars in the rain or cloudy days- after all these are very common Chevrolets and not Ferraris ( I say this but don’t drive my Vette in the rain either)
5) We drink beer and Bourbon- never anything as sophisticated as Wine (like Porsche drivers- wimps)
6) Wear HUGE Gold nugget necklaces and fake Rolex watches
7) Lucky to have attended, much less graduated from High School
8) We all talk like "Rocky Balboa" - Hey Adrian?
9) Use a quart of Brute aftershave each morning
10) Leave the top 4 buttons of our shirts opened - for women to admire our hairy chests

Me - I have never liked Corvettes. That is until I got the liking of the C5 Z06 which I bought in November. It's flat out sexy; docile and yet brutally aggressive when needed. This is a chauvinistic thing to say perhaps- but the C5 Z06 looks like a sexy woman. The engine- power. It's an American hot rod that has grown up into a sports car- whilst retaining it's drag strip heritage. It's a speed machine that puts a grin on my face. The C4 and C6, C7 etc don't do it for me at all. Neither does the C5 coupe- only the C5 Z06.

I could have gotten a Euro car- but damnit, I wanted an American car that Euro drivers know can "crush" them LOL. I like the fact we can take on cars that cost 3-4 times more money. The simple Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is one of the few cars that meets the "supercar "criteria according to Wykapedia.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I agree that people stereo type different types of car guys. It sounds as if people (at least in your list) are saying Corvette owners are like Italians, with the open shirts, excessive amounts of cologne, gold chains, etc.... well if that's the case then ROCK ON, because I am Italian and darn proud of it and darn proud of my "Best Bang for the buck" Z06!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Tuxblacray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny Tread..... I never thought about how I was being viewed.... Personally I bought my 1st vette because I liked it. I bought the rest for the same reason.

On the other hand I suppose it's nice to know that I am giving other people something to look, laff, love, or argue about... I sure wouldn't want anyone around me to be idle......

Last edited by Tuxblacray; 02-02-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

I didn’t realize I had so many issues! I thought they were just fun to drive!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

You forgot Bald

Peace
Chip

Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
FINNZO6
Instructor

Hey, I like wine and I wax my chest. Wait a second....maybe I am gay...NOT!

You know how I know you're gay? (40 yr Old virgin) You read my post and took offense.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
kwest2u
Racer

Default LOL Nice observations

Agree with most of them. However I don't have a hairy chest ( couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to) and don't wear gold! The rest is pretty close. Women , no matter what age LOVE the car even if they can't admit it. My wife, 19 years younger (love it) bought the Vette for me on my 50th birthday a year back. Guess she wants me to stay young. No problems there. The Vette, like my age, is a state of mind. As people say, " eat, sleep, .(fill in...)., and drive your Vette!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
MRJB
Instructor

I have two thoughts on the matter:

1) people are so jealous when they can't have something that they make something up about the people that can.

2) Anybody got a good source on where I can find the gold nugget chains, fake Rolex and brute by the gallon????
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the mid-life crisis thing alot b/c I have a full head of grey hair and my wife is 27, Swedish and 5'8. People take it back though when they realize I'm only 30 with premature grey
Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Billysc5
Racer

I think its more of a jealousy thing then any thing else.. since I bought my c5 last fall I've had some of those same comments.. mid life ect. then I notice they go crawl into a rusted out Toyota or a mini van with their ***** hanging in a sack tied to his wifes purse.!!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Icewind Dale
Racer

Hmm...I have never been accused or heard most of those stereotypes. (none exept the trying to compensatefor a small member one). I guess its generational. I am 33 and the car gets respect from my peers and younger people almost universally. It seems its the older Cadillac and Benz crowd that are negative towards Vettes. Weird how different people can have totally different experiences.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Woops,I guess I took a wrong turn somewhere!I've loved vettes since I was a kid,just took me till 50 to afford my first one.The only thing I wear around my neck is a thin stainless "medic alert" chain.A simple gents ring my wife of 31 yr. bought me 25 yrs ago(I wear it as a wedding band as I gained a little weight over the last 31 years)I can count on 1 hand how often I use after shave in a year.I have an associates in radiology and my wife has a masters plus in special education. No real chest hair and i button my shirt.We both speak non accented mid-west English,and my watch is by G-force.AHHH we both drink beer!!! I guess we had to fit in there somewhere!!! My wife found my first corvette(God bless her sweet heart) Come to think of it a friends wife found my second one.(That I bought with my wifes blessing) My wife wouldn't think of having me sell my first one so I guess I'm now a collector,except that I driv'em all the time,but I do try to minimize driving in bad weather.I will challenge mother nature on cloudy days....As a matter of fact i gotta go run some errands in my FRC befor the snow storm hits..Cheers,and save the wave!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
fitterin
Instructor

People can think what they want. Driving me Vette gives me too much pleasure for me to be concerned about their opinions.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
TEXAN
Pro

Default How Corvette Owners are Perceived

Quite frankly, I don't give a flip what someone else might think. I bought the best valued car in the world for myself - not them. They can eat their hearts out for all I care! . As far as those mid-life crises types, they need to get a life of their own. The truth is, I bought a 2003 - 50th Anniversary Corvette, picked it up from the Museum and upgraded it with the full Indy 500 graphics to publically CELEBRATE my life at 50.They can try to salute that image of me and my corvette all the way home in their foreign made, econo 'wanna-be' type dream cars!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Yeah- LOL

Try Costco for Brute by the 55 gallon drum; Google Fake Rolex watches- get 2 , one for each wrist; Gold nugget necklaces - let me know, I am still looking; watch all the old Rocky movies to get the right lingo down.

I love my Z06 - hey Adrian, where's my beer?

BTW- I don't meet my own criteria; except older women do seem to think our cars are cheesy.

Originally Posted by MRJB
I have two thoughts on the matter:

1) people are so jealous when they can't have something that they make something up about the people that can.

2) Anybody got a good source on where I can find the gold nugget chains, fake Rolex and brute by the gallon????

Last edited by NatB; 01-31-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

All in jest my friend- I love my Vette !

Originally Posted by TEXAN
Quite frankly, I don't give a flip what someone else might think. I bought the best valued car in the world for myself - not them. They can eat their hearts out for all I care! . As far as those mid-life crises types, they need to get a life of their own. The truth is, I bought a 2003 - 50th Anniversary Corvette, picked it up from the Museum and upgraded it with the full Indy 500 graphics to publically CELEBRATE my life at 50.They can try to salute that image of me and my corvette all the way home in their foreign made, econo 'wanna-be' type dream cars!

Get notified of new replies

To More on How Corvette Owners are Perceived

Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

I like #6 about the fake rolex......SO what, I bought a fake rolex when I was in NY last year!!!! LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Oh, I hate my MY '02 coupe so much, I drive it everyday (unless it's raining when I open the garage door), wearing-out the tires, using-up the life of its oil and wearing-out the seat. Yeah, EVERY DAY until it flat wears out, in - I hope - many, many years from now.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fitterin
People can think what they want. Driving me Vette gives me too much pleasure for me to be concerned about their opinions.
Been driving a Corvette since 1970 when I was a kid.....................hey I still am. Save the Wave.>George

ps "I wouldn't drive anything else".

Quick Reply: More on How Corvette Owners are Perceived