Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes In Rear??

Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Brakes In Rear??

Has anyone put the front rotors and caliper in the rear? Ive seen it done backwards so as to fit 15" wheels. Would be an interesting brake upgrade to do so.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
Has anyone put the front rotors and caliper in the rear? Ive seen it done backwards so as to fit 15" wheels. Would be an interesting brake upgrade to do so.
You would loose your hand brake.

You could go with afterkmarket rotors but them you would need some custom brackets to mount the front calipers on the rear.

You would also probably need a bigger master cylinder.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Then would you put BIGGER brakes up front?

Remember you need a front brake bias of 60-70% min for the front.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,189 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

At one time, a forum member (Mean Green 2000) installed the front calipers on the rear of his car. Been a while back though and not sure if he is still a member of the forum. He lost use of the emergency brake by doing this conversion.

I've got a Word file where he documented the process but some of the pictures seem to be missing. I'd be glad to share it with you if you want it. Just PM me your e-mail address and be sure to mention the front caliper to rear file.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

A little of topic but I just did a brake job on my car, 51K , and was surpised to see the back pads worn more than the front .
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo1
A little of topic but I just did a brake job on my car, 51K , and was surpised to see the back pads worn more than the front .
Active handling will do that.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So will power braking hahaha
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

I'm currently doing this mod . I have been researching the the possible senerios to make this happen without any side effects.This is where I am right now.

In order to keep the ebrake I have gone to the C6 Z51 rear rotors. They are much larger than the stock C5 rears and larger still than the stock C5 fronts.This is fine considering that Baer as well as some of the other big companies offer a larger rear rotor on their up grades.
The rotor fit just fine .I did buy (2) sets of C6 front calipers , as I like the lettering layout and lettering size better than the C5. A set of the C6
Z51 rear calipers was also purchased in case my experiment did not work as plannedI would still have a large rotor in the rear.
When I went to fit the C6 front calipers on the Z51 rotors I noticed that they were not clearing the backing plate .The bolt mounts were much thicker than the standard rear calipers. No problem I fly cut them down to clear and proceed to install. They bolted up great.However I did see that the rotor was slightly off center in the bracket. I again remove some more material and they now sit dead center in the caliper braket. This is as far as I am. I will be finishng this project in the next few weeks. Just a side note.

1. I plan on using a low end pad that has much less bite than the front. I do believe that from what I have read on the Corvette's braking system and computer system ,that this will work.I know that Corvette Central has been selling a 2 piston rear up-grade for years now, and I have never heard a complaint.

Last edited by E.C.P; 02-04-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Thats good to hear Nasty. Please keep me informed of how well this works. It might turn out to be the upgrade that beats the corvette tax somewhat.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I have read a few posts over in the autocross/ road racing section where people have done this.

There are a couple of technical hurdles to overcome with doing this mod. As previously stated most of your braking is done by the front brakes not the rears. Second, you want the fronts to lock up before the rears or you will lose control of the car. I believe you have to put in a new master cylinder because you will need more volume because of the brakes.

If I recall correctly, DRM (a forum sponsoring vendor) sells a bigger MC and also may have some knowledge about how to go about this mod.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this mod but the limiting factor in braking is not the brakes themselves but the tires. You can't stop any faster than your tires adhesion limits.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

For the most part, I am going for a new"look" . If I am able to achieve better braking along the way then thats defiantly a plus. However, if I am to loose braking, then I wont even attempt this.

As far as brake bias, cant you use an adjustable proportioning valve to control that?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
For the most part, I am going for a new"look" . If I am able to achieve better braking along the way then thats defiantly a plus. However, if I am to loose braking, then I wont even attempt this.

As far as brake bias, cant you use an adjustable proportioning valve to control that?
^^Why don't you just buy a big brake kit. It will probably cost you less and definitely reduce all the technical challenges.

If memory serves me correctly, the new Brake master from DRM will set you back $800.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 PM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

I don't believe that a new p-valve or a master cylinder will be needed.
Let me explain.
Even though you will have a larger braking surface area,the bias has not changed.More pressure will still be applied up front . As for a larger master looking at the single large piston as complared to the two smaller pistons on the fronts, their is only a slight volume change. I pretty sure that GM did not put in a master that is at it's limit.I have not yet tried the pedal feel, but will soon enough.
I have not seen anyone attempt this mod in the same way that I'm doing it. So its a learning curve. This forum has always been an excellent resource for such experiments. Again it is important to note that I did buy a set of C6 Z51 factory size rear calipers & brackets in case their are any issues.Safety is a must
I have 19's in the rear and want to fill in the wheel barrels some more. I did want a beefer look in the rear caliper, and that's why I choose this route. My goals were more appearance driven that performance .
I do not see any reference from any of the performance brake makers as to the need for a new p-valve or larger master for their up-graded packages, some of which use new 4 & 6 piston calipers. As well if this were true, than when those who do the C6 Z06 brake swap, would they not need a larger master. After all the front and rear on the C6 Z06 are much larger than a stock C5.
I do beleive that this is an area that has not been well explored to the point where their is evidence to support one theroy or an other. So I guess I'm the beta testor on this one
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
MR.WaynesWorld
Le Mans Master

Location: The real question is; When you turn your car on, does it return the favor..
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,663 Posts

i wouldn't want to give up my parking brake to do this mod.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Nasty98
I don't believe that a new p-valve or a master cylinder will be needed.
Let me explain.
Even though you will have a larger braking surface area,the bias has not changed.More pressure will still be applied up front . As for a larger master looking at the single large piston as complared to the two smaller pistons on the fronts, their is only a slight volume change. I pretty sure that GM did not put in a master that is at it's limit.I have not yet tried the pedal feel, but will soon enough.
I have not seen anyone attempt this mod in the same way that I'm doing it. So its a learning curve. This forum has always been an excellent resource for such experiments. Again it is important to note that I did buy a set of C6 Z51 factory size rear calipers & brackets in case their are any issues.Safety is a must
I have 19's in the rear and want to fill in the wheel barrels some more. I did want a beefer look in the rear caliper, and that's why I choose this route. My goals were more appearance driven that performance .
I do not see any reference from any of the performance brake makers as to the need for a new p-valve or larger master for their up-graded packages, some of which use new 4 & 6 piston calipers. As well if this were true, than when those who do the C6 Z06 brake swap, would they not need a larger master. After all the front and rear on the C6 Z06 are much larger than a stock C5.
I do beleive that this is an area that has not been well explored to the point where their is evidence to support one theroy or an other. So I guess I'm the beta testor on this one
Front brakes are always larger than the rear, You can not balance the brake system without a change in Master cylinders and proportioning valve.

Look at all of the big brake kits. Fronts calipers are always bigger than the rears.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Front brakes are always larger than the rear, You can not balance the brake system without a change in Master cylinders and proportioning valve.

Look at all of the big brake kits. Fronts calipers are always bigger than the rears.
Calipers yes but rotors are larger in the rear.

Point I'm tring to make is that there is more fluid volume in say a C6 Z06 brake system than in a standard C5. So a larger master is not required.
As for the bias...If there were no proportioning from the factory than the system would be balanced front to rear, that is to say that Pasquels Law state's that "Pressure applied to fluid is equal through out"
So the only way to change that would be to control the pressure as well as the flow. You can have two pistons of the same size yet have one do more work or force by contoling the pressure applied.A factory valve must be set in the car some where.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Brakes In Rear??

Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Nasty98
Calipers yes but rotors are larger in the rear.

Point I'm tring to make is that there is more fluid volume in say a C6 Z06 brake system than in a standard C5. So a larger master is not required.
As for the bias...If there were no proportioning from the factory than the system would be balanced front to rear, that is to say that Pasquels Law state's that "Pressure applied to fluid is equal through out"
So the only way to change that would be to control the pressure as well as the flow. You can have two pistons of the same size yet have one do more work or force by contoling the pressure applied.A factory valve must be set in the car some where.
It's built in after 2001 (i.e electronically controlled).

Brake rotor size is only part of the equation. You need to take in to account the sweep area of the caliper and pad.

Also unless you are getting better tires (traction) none of this really matters as you aren't going to stop any better or faster.

It's just smarter to go with an engineered system than to try and make your own.

I run Wilwood's 14" BB Kit all the way around with much larger and better tires. (PS2's) 275/35/18's and 335/30/18's.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Then would you put BIGGER brakes up front?

Remember you need a front brake bias of 60-70% min for the front.
Breathless has done this to one of their C5's but they have an aftermarket one on the front.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Active handling will do that.
Well it comes on quite a bit, I guess that explains it ....
I do not power brake at all .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brakes In Rear??