C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Bell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Cable Replacement

Last year I had noticed some corrosion on my battery positive terminal and it looked as though the battery had leaked with the previous owner. I removed the battery and tray and gave the whole area a good washdown with a baking soda solution.

A couple of months ago, I started getting the IPC defaulting back to the odometer on startup and also the HUD switching to the display with oil pressure rather than fuel level (which I usually leave it on). I had noticed that this happens any time the battery is either disconnected or gets extremely low. The battery positive cable had started corroding again. Twice, I was almost stranded and had to manually twist the **** out of the terminal to get the car started.

I looked in my C5 parts catalog and found that the battery positive cable, part # 12157085, is listed, but the individual components (cable, bolt, rubber boot) also have their own part numbers. I emailed Gene at GMPartsHouse to ask if the cable part shown above included the bolt and rubber boot also. He wasn't sure. So I ordered the cable AND the bolt (had to buy a pack of 6) AND the rubber boot (about $70 worth of parts). When the box arrived, it turns out the cable assembly (part # shown above) already comes with a bolt and rubber boot. So if anyone else needs to replace their battery positive cable (which is a very common problem with C5s), you just need to order the cable.

My battery positive cable's bolt was so corroded that it had become one with the spade terminal on the end of the cable. I had to put baking soda on the terminal for about half an hour and use a pair of vise grips to break the bolt loose from the battery. I never did get the bolt and spade terminal to detach. I had to cut both positive leads away from the terminal in order to get it to spin on the battery just to get it off. I could not believe how much corrosion had occurred since I thoroughly cleaned it last year. It looked like something that had been dredged up from the bottom of the sea after a century or two.

Putting the new cable on was pretty simple. I followed the Service Manual instructions. But it was kind of aggravating to get to the starter solenoid under the car (hint: drive the car onto ramps and jack the car up BEFORE hacking up the battery cable and removing the battery). About an hour of work and now my battery cable looks brand new (except it's black instead of the OEM red color). No more defaulting to odometer and other anomalies.

Just thought you guys might be interested.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up!

I generally check the cables every week-end because I pop the hood after every trip. (Obviously, it's not my daily driver, just a fun car).

I haven't seen any corrosion on this battery yet, but I will keep a closer eye on it.

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thanks for the post, great info.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM
terry02tb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 04 (top terminal) cables on my 02 as i needed a new battery anyway.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 PM
VetteDawg
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bell
But it was kind of aggravating to get to the starter solenoid under the car (hint: drive the car onto ramps and jack the car up BEFORE
I would like to echo this point. A genuine PITA getting at and getting off...that solenoid nut. On my 2000 there's a sensor in the way leaving virtually NO room for a wrench. - Fortunately the nut is not on very tight.

1/2" small wrench --- jack it up, take the wheel off, shine a light from up top (under the hood).....and contort yourself under there with that 1/2" wrench. Then you can wrestle with the clips near the firewall keeping the positive with the negative. (I replaced only the positive)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech. This is an 11 year old thread, but will let it go to see if any additional new info can be added.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM
VetteDawg
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Moved to C5 Tech. This is an 11 year old thread, but will let it go to see if any additional new info can be added.
So, this wasn't in C5 Tech? That's the forum I chose to search in Advanced Search.
I would assume that changing battery cables will start to be necessary about now (or sooner). My positive got ruined from a leaking side post (a previous battery to the one in the car now).
The new info here is the 1/2 wrench. (it's handy to know that before getting under the car)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Cable Replacement

Quick Reply: Battery Cable Replacement