Sponsored by:

GY EMT's vs Michelin RF's vs Kumho RF's

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GY EMT's vs Michelin RF's vs Kumho RF's

Hi, I'm definitely replacing the OEM tires on my 03 anniv vert this spring. It has about 15000 miles on it. In my opinion they are the worst tire I ever drove on. The noise is huge, they follow the ruts in the road, they hop on poor surfaces, about the only positive thing I can say about them is they look good, but that is not enough to make me ever want another set like them. I know there are many threads on tire choices, and I've read all that i could find, but I'm wondering which of either the Michelin runflats or the Kumho 's would be a better choice. I'm inclined to get Michelin, because I've never had a Michelin that I didn't like, but than I've never had a Kumho at all, and the Kumho does have a better appearance. My main criteria are quiet ride, comfortable ride, decent lifespan. I definitely want a runflat, and definitely not getting GY again.
Thanks for your input--Luck to all
Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If I am not mistaken....Pat Goss liked the Kumhos very much
Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Michelin is bringing out a new summer runflat this summer (2008).
Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Kumho's on our '04 Coupe. Currently at 15k daily driver miles. They are noticably quieter than the GY's, and I believe they ride a little better.Haven't noticed any wet or dry traction problems. I like the tread pattern much better on the Kumhos than the Michelins, but I think the treadwear rating is a bit higher on the Michelins. At 15k, the Kumhos seem like they only have maybe 10k left, more wear on the rears than fronts.

Personally, I have no real complaints with the Kumhos, they are a great tire for the price. But, I'm leaning towards the Michelins next time for the extra mileage I might get from them.

Just my .02
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Goodyear has chosen to build their new World Headquarters right here in Northeastern Ohio while many manufacturers are running to Mexico. I have to hang with Goodyear as I applaud their comittment
I've stayed with the OEM's and never perceived any noise issues although I don't have any other brands to compare to. Really, what I primarily hear in the Vette is ARH longtubes and Corsa Indys
Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default New Michelin RF needs new wheels

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Michelin is bringing out a new summer runflat this summer (2008).
Hi Thanks for the input. I took a look at the new michelin rf tire that is to be coming this year and it seems it needs new different rims. That wouldn't be an option for me as I like the OEM rims .
Below is a description of the new Michelin
Thanks Luck to all

Tires
A look at the
Michelin PAX System

by Charles Ofria

Prior to the '50s, all tires had inner tubes, which were so fraught with problems that flat tires were a common occurrence. Out of necessity, a spare tire and the tools for mounting it became standard equipment on every car and it was the responsibility of all drivers to know how to use them. Although modern improvements in tire design and the advent of "road service" have insulated many drivers from the flat-changing experience, the need to carry a "spare" has not been eliminated. But finally that may be changing...

To automotive engineers, who are continually looking for ways to improve space utilization in new vehicles, the spare tire and associated tools represent space hogs. Certainly the room they take up could be put to better use. And so, various solutions have been proposed, but until now most have met with limited success.

Carmakers have attempted to eliminate the spare by providing a small air compressor and an aerosol can of tire sealer. When you have a flat, you can presumably re-inflate the tire while sealing the puncture. Of course, anything larger than a simple puncture and you are in trouble. Other manufacturers have addressed the problem with a type of Run Flat tire that features stiffened sidewalls that allow them to be driven at moderate speeds with no air pressure. But this solution is less than ideal, since the inflexible sidewall can adversely affect ride quality and, in some cases, handling.

Now Michelin has announced a solution to this automotive challenge, which they believe will make the spare tire a thing of the past. In their vision of the future, the only spare tires you will see will be around some people's waists.

Michelin's innovation is a new tire system called PAX. It is dubbed a "system" because these tires require a special wheel and an insert in order to work. The wheel is designed to keep the tire on the rim even if all the air is removed and you are driving at 55 miles per hour. The insert prevents the tire from totally collapsing onto the rim.

In the United States, the PAX System is available only on new cars, including the Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring Model and the Rolls Royce Phantom. But the list is growing. In Europe, a number other manufacturers have adopted the PAX system.

The PAX System includes a special wheel and tire that are designed to work together. There is also a support ring that fits around the center of the rim and supports the tire when it is deflated so that the vehicle can be driven. Another part of the system is the combination air valve / pressure detector which reports pressure loss to an indicator on the dash so that the driver knows that there is a problem.

Tires are normally held on the rim with air pressure, but with the PAX System, the tire fits into a special groove in the rim and is locked in place by the shape of the bead, which keeps it secure even when air pressure is lost. It's a great idea, but how does it work in practice?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
coast7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have read a great deal about GY vs the other EMT's. It's really quite simple! GY EMT's are designed to meet a spec of being driveable at 55 mph for 200 miles with low to no air pressure. At the current time, no other manufacturers of EMT's meet that spec. Therefore, their sidewalls are not as strong as the GY EMT's. That translates to fewer miles at low to no air pressure, and possibly contributes to GY EMT's being considered by some to be harsher in ride and noise level.

Everything is a compromise...choose wisely!

coast7
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
LTCHAPPA
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the Michelin RF and they are noisey on my convertible,but they do ride and handlle better than the Goodyear oem tires. I would not buy the PS runflat again and they are also a little tall.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to be clear it's ≤50 miles at 55 mph and one can repair the tire, ≥51 miles to 200 is replacement time.

That is correct, about GY meeting the spec and the 200 mile requirement. Michelin with its Pilot Sport A/S ZPs does 50 miles. They never discuss taking it further.

The new tire is a summer ultra high performance tire.

Michelin was named as the tire for the C6R team.

The Pilot Sport A/S ZP is starting to age, I wonder what the next generation of it will be.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Michelin tires are good, but I've been running Firestone Firehawk runflats on mine and have been very impressed. Might be worth a look before you buy.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with the Michelins on my '02, which had 25,000 miles. Now my '04 only has 18,000 and in need of tires, so I will be putting on the Michelins. They are quiet and ride real nice and look good.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
I went with the Michelins on my '02, which had 25,000 miles. Now my '04 only has 18,000 and in need of tires, so I will be putting on the Michelins. They are quiet and ride real nice and look good.
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season ZP on my '98 and really like them. They ride good, good handling, have rim guard beading and in my opinion look pretty good. They also have a decent warranty, by Michelin. They are not the most expensive nor the cheapest. Check around on pricing. Periodically, independent shops and Costco have $60 off 4 tires, sales. Remember also, when you get tires, get a 4 wheel alignment too, whether you think you need it or not. Does wonders for steering and even tire wear.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
sunrise.cm
Instructor

I have found (2000 Vert) that 8 year old worn out and dried out tires do not perform well when compared to new tires of the same make and model. The diference is huge.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Aren't the Michelin PS2s OEM equipment on the NEW ZR1?

Thought that is what I saw in the press releases. I have PS2 runflats and there is NO COMPARISION to them and the original EMTs. My convertable occasionally has to run in the snow. PS2s are M/S and do that too. Go with Michelin not El Cheapo. BIGHANK
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 PM
HUMVET51
Instructor

Kumhos!! Great tire for the price. My buddy has a 02 coupe and hes considering the Kumho MX EMTs. Says the GY F1s are too noisy and too expensive to replace.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bestvettever
... the Kumho does have a better appearance. My main criteria are quiet ride, comfortable ride, decent lifespan.
By your own definition above, you should go with the Michelins.

s'noJob
Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by s'noJob
By your own definition above, you should go with the Michelins.

s'noJob

Get notified of new replies

To GY EMT's vs Michelin RF's vs Kumho RF's

Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar thread a couple of days back. After taking into account all the great feedback and my own research, I decided to order the Michelins. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:34 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My experience of the OEM tires was exactly the same as you and I don't regret changing them at all.

I decided I needed runflats on the vert so that tied down the choice of tires for me. I went with the Michelin AS ZPs and I've been very happy with them even though they are the most expensive of the bunch. Good performance even in the wet. Good ride and way quieter than the OEMs.

My son has Kumho Ecstas on his Camaro and we have the same tires on the Golf. They're good tires and very good value for money. I personally don't like the handling on the other cars but my son fitted oversize tires. Because they're wider the car tramlines more, although I doubt that would be a problem on the vette as its designed to take that width. Also they don't wear nearly as well as the Michelins which are harder compound. The Michelins are only half life after 15k miles +. there's no way the Kumhos are doing that well. Even so, you could get nerly 2 sets of Kumhos for one set of Michelins.

I'd say you would be better with the Michelins if you want the best. If you're happy with the compromise the Kumhos are a good buy.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Michelin tires are good, but I've been running Firestone Firehawk runflats on mine and have been very impressed. Might be worth a look before you buy.
I like them much better that the stock GY EMT's. Now, if GY would make the GS-D3's in C5 sizes, I have them on in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: GY EMT's vs Michelin RF's vs Kumho RF's