Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When using vinyl dye do you first spray the primer and then paint it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
c4vetteontop
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When using vinyl dye do you first spray the primer and then paint it.

im going to be paint my doors brezels and the bottem door part. Ive got a black interior and im going to be painting it torch red. Do i first use a primier on the vinyl and then paint it. How does it work
Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM
AlisonC5
Pro

All the times I used dye, I've never used any type of primer. just make sure the parts are spotlessly clean and free of any oils like armour all. wipe them down thoroughly with a wax and silicone removal product.

when you spray the dye, use very light fogging coats. DO NOT get in a rush, its hard to learn thet kind of patience when painting something, but if you build it up too fast it will likely flake off later. good luck.

Andy
Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
MagneticRed1977
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off find out what the thinner is. I don't know if this is still true but many years ago I got a new dash cover from Inland Div. of GM in Dayton OH.

Inland recommended that I wipe the pad with laquer thinner with a lint free rag to get the vinyl tacky before I sprayed the vinyl color on. Worked perfect. I don't think they have changed the vinyl color but I could be wrong. Look at the can or go to a Auto Paint supplier and ask them. Another good source of info is custom interior places.

The story behind this iabout a real "Corvette Hero":

Inland Division made dash pads, steering wheels, motor mounts and other stuff for GM (eventually became Delco)

I was working at Delco Air (GM) AC Compressors etc. and found out they were re-poping the early dash pads. I was restoring my 61 which had a cracked dash cover so I called up the Quality Control Manager and bitched about his product- I told him that "our compressors are still running and a bunch of additional BS and he gave me a new dash pad.

Then I had the gall to go back to him to mix a custom color to match my custom interior. Great guy and a definite Corvette Hero as he was the one that found the original molds and talked management into manufacturing them again.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Default When using vinyl dye do you first spray the primer and then paint it

Hi There,
I was wondering if anybody has done black to torch red spraying recently and has pictures & instructions?
Mag Red 1977 thanks for your insight
robsc501

Last edited by robsc501; 02-26-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To When using vinyl dye do you first spray the primer and then paint it.

Quick Reply: When using vinyl dye do you first spray the primer and then paint it.