Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Service Manual DVD....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM
WadsC5vettes
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dvd is the best option! I can print pages I need without ripping pages!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5vertt
shipped
Got it.
Installed.
Awesome.
A Million Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_yogurt
Got it.
Installed.
Awesome.
A Million Thanks.

What Operating System do you have? I have the manuals on my XP desktop but can't get it to install on my new Vista laptop.

Bill
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 AM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What Operating System do you have? I have the manuals on my XP desktop but can't get it to install on my new Vista laptop.

Bill
XP (home)
Don't forget you need at least .NET v1.1 for this to run.
And also Java 2 Runtime as well.
And I noticed it only runs properly in Internet Exploder (it must be using some whacked ActiveX controls).
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_yogurt
XP (home)
Don't forget you need at least .NET v1.1 for this to run.
And also Java 2 Runtime as well.
And I noticed it only runs properly in Internet Exploder (it must be using some whacked ActiveX controls).
Precisely.

The mistake a lot of guys are going to make is to pop the installation CD into their computer and then halfazz read the instructions. You can't do that. Read the instructions all the way through so that you understand exactly what needs to be done before you start the install.

Next, Electric is right, it only works with Internet Explorer. Forget about using any other web browser for this program. I don't use IE so what I did was set IE's home page to be the opening page of the manual. That way, I didn't have to set IE as my default browser. Instead, the only time I open IE is when I'm going to look at the manual. Thus, opening IE is the same as starting the program (instead of clicking the program's icon).

Make sure that your Windows updates are done. This not only solves issues, it secures your computer from known security exploits. This is why so many people get infected with crap.

You must disable any firewalls (Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall, etc...) before installing the program or it won't install correctly. There's no way around this. You also need to disable any antivirus programs. I seen situations where folks thought that they had disabled these programs when in fact they are still running in the operating system's background. You may have to use the task manager to stop all aspects of these programs.

Lastly, the minimum system requirements for the software are:

Windows 2000/XP Professional (Windows Vista, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 98/ME appear to be out of luck)

Pentium III 600Hhz or higher

12Gb hard drive (10Gb free)

128Mb RAM or higher

Internet Explorer 6.0

DVD-ROM drive

I don't understand why it works on Pro Edition and not Home. I'm going to try and install it on Home and see what happens. The advantages of Pro Editions has nothing to do with running software like this. I'll keep you all posted.

For those of you with automatic updates turned on, you need to make sure that you do not accept the update for Internet Explorer 7. You can decline it (and why Microsoft made it a critical update is asinine), however if you accidentally installed it you can uninstall it through the add/remove utility located in the control panel.

If you follow those rules, you should have a trouble free installation.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 03-26-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Precisely.

The mistake a lot of guys are going to make is to pop the installation CD into their computer and then halfazz read the instructions. You can't do that. Read the instructions all the way through so that you understand exactly what needs to be done before you start the install.

Next, Electric is right, it only works with Internet Explorer. Forget about using any other web browser for this program. I don't use IE so what I did was set IE's home page to be the opening page of the manual. That way, I didn't have to set IE as my default browser. Instead, the only time I open IE is when I'm going to look at the manual. Thus, opening IE is the same as starting the program (instead of clicking the program's icon).

Make sure that your Windows updates are done. This not only solves issues, it secures your computer from known security exploits. This is why so many people get infected with crap.

You must disable any firewalls (Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall, etc...) before installing the program or it won't install correctly. There's no way around this. You also need to disable any antivirus programs. I seen situations where folks thought that they had disabled these programs when in fact they are still running in the operating system's background. You may have to use the task manager to stop all aspects of these programs.

If you follow those rules, you should have a trouble free installation.
Since I have Vista Home Premium O/S on the laptop I followed the installation instructions for XP Home that came with my disk. The laptop also has IE7 as the browser. So far I haven't been able to get the application to work on the laptop. The firewalls, antispyware and antivirus programs were terminated during the installation. The instructions say to remove any Java 2 or equivalent environments before performing the installation. However, I did not uninstall the Java 6 Updates 2 and 3 that were installed on the PC at the factory. Should I have uninstalled those two applications?

I am a little cautious where Vista is concerned since I have had some problems with other applications that are supposedly Vista compatible. The Vista forums are full of these types of issues on common Microsoft applications so I can imagine there are similar or worse problems that could potentially exist with the SPO application which was developed several years before Vista was on the market and hasn't been listed as Vista compatible.

Bill
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Since I have Vista Home Premium O/S on the laptop I followed the installation instructions for XP Home that came with my disk. The laptop also has IE7 as the browser. So far I haven't been able to get the application to work on the laptop. The firewalls, antispyware and antivirus programs were terminated during the installation. The instructions say to remove any Java 2 or equivalent environments before performing the installation. However, I did not uninstall the Java 6 Updates 2 and 3 that were installed on the PC at the factory. Should I have uninstalled those two applications?

I am a little cautious where Vista is concerned since I have had some problems with other applications that are supposedly Vista compatible. The Vista forums are full of these types of issues on common Microsoft applications so I can imagine there are similar or worse problems that could potentially exist with the SPO application which was developed several years before Vista was on the market and hasn't been listed as Vista compatible.

Bill
Hey Bill, forgive me for not addressing this earlier as it is an important thing to note and I did mean to.

The minimum system requirements for the software are:

Windows 2000/XP Professional (XP Home, Windows 98/ME appear to be out of luck)

128Mb RAM or higher

Internet Explorer 6.0

DVD-ROM drive

As you can see Bill, you're out of luck on 2 fronts. You have the dreaded Vista operating system AND you're using Internet Explorer 7, which cannot be removed or decreased from Windows Vista (just one of many reason why I don't have my customers upgrade to this junk). Thus, you're going to have to use a different computer that falls within these specs.

I don't understand why it works on Pro Edition and not Home. I'm going to try and install it on Home and see what happens. The advantages of Pro Editions has nothing to do with running software like this. I'll keep you all posted.

For those of you with automatic updates turned on, you need to make sure that you do not accept the update for Internet Explorer 7. You can decline it (and why Microsoft made it a critical update is asinine), however if you accidentally installed it you can uninstall it through the add/remove utility located in the control panel.

If you're having installation issues, I bet your computer does not meet these requirements or there is an issue with something in my previous post. I will edit it to include this.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 03-26-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Hey Bill, forgive me for not addressing this earlier as it is an important thing to note and I did mean to.

The minimum system requirements for the software are:

Windows 2000/XP Professional (XP Home, Windows 98/ME appear to be out of luck)

128Mb RAM or higher

Internet Explorer 6.0

DVD-ROM drive

As you can see Bill, you're out of luck on 2 fronts. You have the dreaded Vista operating system AND you're using Internet Explorer 7, which cannot be removed or decreased from Windows Vista (just one of many reason why I don't have my customers upgrade to this junk). Thus, you're going to have to use a different computer that falls within these specs.

If you're having installation issues, I bet your computer does not meet these requirements or there is an issue with something in my previous post. I will edit it to include this.
Actually it works on XP Home as I have it working on my desktop machine. There is a point in the installation instructions that came with my DVD that applies specifially to XP Home.

Quote:
"Windows XP Home Users:
Before installing this program, make sure you have updated your PC through Windows Update. If you prefer not to update, you will need to install Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 or higher before loading GM eSI Techline. You can find the setup file in the foldeer MICROSOFT_UPDATES on the DVD or download directly from Microsoft's website."

Maybe the above will help somebody else. As far as IE7 I can probably check out whether it works with the application by downloading it onto my desktop and seeing if it will work with the eSI application that is already working with IE6.

I really want to get this working on the laptop as I am trying to get a diagnostic application (like AutoEnginuity) that I can plug into the OBDII connector and do some Tech II style diagnostics on my Z, my Tahoe and the wife's Saturn.

Bill
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Actually it works on XP Home as I have it working on my desktop machine. There is a point in the installation instructions that came with my DVD that applies specifially to XP Home.

Quote:
"Windows XP Home Users:
Before installing this program, make sure you have updated your PC through Windows Update. If you prefer not to update, you will need to install Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 or higher before loading GM eSI Techline. You can find the setup file in the foldeer MICROSOFT_UPDATES on the DVD or download directly from Microsoft's website."

Maybe the above will help somebody else. As far as IE7 I can probably check out whether it works with the application by downloading it onto my desktop and seeing if it will work with the eSI application that is already working with IE6.

I really want to get this working on the laptop as I am trying to get a diagnostic application (like AutoEnginuity) that I can plug into the OBDII connector and do some Tech II style diagnostics on my Z, my Tahoe and the wife's Saturn.

Bill
I figured it would work on XP Home. I try to explain to people that the only difference between the two are things that home users don't do anyway. Because people see Pro at the end, they think its better or faster.

Now I can believe that it won't work on IE7. That crap...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Just got it to work on XP Home with IE7 although 7 changed how the text looks. Will have to search around 7 to see how to get the text back like I like it. After digging around in Vista I found that I had to turn on the .NET Framework. Still can't see the Java environment although I can see two Java updates have been installed. Makes me wonder why MS wandered so far from the ranch when designing Vista?

Bill
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Just got it to work on XP Home with IE7 although 7 changed how the text looks. Will have to search around 7 to see how to get the text back like I like it. After digging around in Vista I found that I had to turn on the .NET Framework. Still can't see the Java environment although I can see two Java updates have been installed. Makes me wonder why MS wandered so far from the ranch when designing Vista?

Bill
Because they are the 800lb gorilla. And where does a 800lb gorilla sit?

I shouldn't complain because if they did it right, I wouldn't have a business to run anymore.

Well thanks for saving me the trouble of testing it. I've got enough work to do without going off on tangents!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

So who did everyone buy the DVD from?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 AM
WadsC5vettes
Cruising

Originally Posted by Blue 92
So who did everyone buy the DVD from?
pm sent
Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
WadsC5vettes
Cruising

Bill, don't know if this would apply to XP Home or not, but in Vista Premium Home you have to run it in "compatibility mode" as "administrator".
Old 03-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WadsC5vettes
Bill, don't know if this would apply to XP Home or not, but in Vista Premium Home you have to run it in "compatibility mode" as "administrator".
He was able to get it to run on Home with no issues, which was what I was thinking should happen all along.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Quickfrc
Advanced

He was able to get it to run on Home with no issues, which was what I was thinking should happen all along.
In Vista, you need to run it in compatability mode as administrator as stated above and you need a file extraction program like winrar
Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
kerryt1
Drifting

Someone who is selling copies PM me.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Service Manual DVD....

Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Quickfrc
Advanced

Originally Posted by kerryt1
Someone who is selling copies PM me.
pm sent
Old 05-24-2008, 11:04 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I can get a copy to you.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Quickfrc
In Vista, you need to run it in compatability mode as administrator as stated above and you need a file extraction program like winrar
I got it to work on Vista by running in admin mode but I did not need any file extraction facilities. It took a couple of tries to get it to load properly as the DVD stopped loading the first time I tried but it is completely loaded and working fine on the laptop now.

All I need now is a good software scan tool that accesses all of GMs proprietary codes (not just the OBDII stuff) and that can perform some command functions like the Tech 2 and I will be set. I have 4 GM vehicles I will be able to maintain with that set up.

Bill

Quick Reply: Looking for a Service Manual DVD....