ACP Coupe to FRC Conversion / Body Kit w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice post bro!!

I am Tony's brother (Tim) and have been along for the ride since he bought his vette almost 3 years ago. In fact he inspired me to buy a vette or three (inside family joke).

I can't wait for his car to get done so we can go for a ride!! It's been a long time coming but I think in the end it will be worth it. My brother and I, as a result of his project and mine, have met a lot of really nice people here on the forum and also learned a whole lot.

I'm sure we would both do things a little differently with all that we have learned, but getting there is a big part of the process. While some might think my brother is a little , I think for him it's been about the journey and all the friends he has made on the forum along the way. I am sure he would not change one thing.

Now, if he would just get back to work on my car and stop posting here on the forum all would be well.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by illmac77
Looking Real good so far Tony, nice to see all the progress in one thread
Thanks Mike. Everything is coming along nicely. I don't have Gary close by me, but I do have ACP (Kerry) and they do kick *** work.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Awesome Tony I have some of the parts from that car on mine targa Z now
My car has been like an organ donor with all of the parts that have come off it and been implanted in other vette's

Any updates on the paint ?

Tony
Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Any updates on the paint ?

Tony
None yet... I'm hopping they'll call me in a few days with some awesome news... one can only hope. He told me on Monday that I didn't need to come up to the shop to help take the doors back off and that they'd take care of it all. I hope this means he sees it as a challenge to get it done right and impress me. He's realized how much local exposure that car gets... everyone who walks through the shop recognizes the car. So... in the end, if the car doesn't get done right it won't help his business. Not that I'll go out of my way to trash a shop, but people are following the car

/Hijack
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thought you might find this interesting... on the C6 the halo apparenlty isn't glued down like it was/is on your car. Guy shows how he took it off to paint black.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1919643

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
MR.WaynesWorld
Le Mans Master

Location: The real question is; When you turn your car on, does it return the favor..
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Yes Wayne you have known for a while about my little project and thanks to you and your wife, Lori's for having mod fever and buying some of my parts. BTW, anymore updates on your project ?
Not yet Tony. Planning on getting down to the guys garage some time this week for some more pic's....

Should have all of Lori's wheels and tires on this weekend and I know she will be posting pic's with her car and new shoes....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
OutKlast
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts

Man you're like a woman in a shoe store who can only pick one pair of shoes to buy. I remember seeing wide body parts on your car now they're off and you're doing a hardtop conversion(nice choice by the way though I knew I wanted a hardtop from the get-go). What all do you have in store for this thing?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Well now can finally understand the avatar Gutsy project
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Independent1
Nice post bro!!

I am Tony's brother (Tim) and have been along for the ride since he bought his vette almost 3 years ago. In fact he inspired me to buy a vette or three (inside family joke).

I can't wait for his car to get done so we can go for a ride!! It's been a long time coming but I think in the end it will be worth it. My brother and I, as a result of his project and mine, have met a lot of really nice people here on the forum and also learned a whole lot.

I'm sure we would both do things a little differently with all that we have learned, but getting there is a big part of the process. While some might think my brother is a little , I think for him it's been about the journey and all the friends he has made on the forum along the way. I am sure he would not change one thing.

Now, if he would just get back to work on my car and stop posting here on the forum all would be well.

Well I will see you soon enough and you'll get your wish of working on your car. See ya this weekend bro.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thought you might find this interesting... on the C6 the halo apparenlty isn't glued down like it was/is on your car. Guy shows how he took it off to paint black.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1919643
I am sure you, Mike and I wished it was that easy to take the roofs off a C5.

I guess GM finally realized that the cost of repairing glued on panels was high and instead used screws to anchor it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MR.WaynesWorld
Not yet Tony. Planning on getting down to the guys garage some time this week for some more pic's....

Should have all of Lori's wheels and tires on this weekend and I know she will be posting pic's with her car and new shoes....
Ah a woman and shoes, it never ends.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OutKlast
Man you're like a woman in a shoe store who can only pick one pair of shoes to buy. I remember seeing wide body parts on your car now they're off and you're doing a hardtop conversion(nice choice by the way though I knew I wanted a hardtop from the get-go). What all do you have in store for this thing?
The body kit came off becasue of the FRC conversion as the fenders are different than that of a coupe.

The plan as it now sit is to do the following;

-Tiger Shark Nose with Chin Spoiler
-MCM Low Profile Hood (first one was damaged, waiting on a new one to ship.
-Stock front fenders.
-Specter Werkes C5R Headlights
-ACP Wide Body Rear Fenders
-ACP Custom Rocker Extensions
-ACP Wide Body Rear Fascia with molded in spoiler.

The rear fender will be shaved with no antenna and the rear fascia will the "Corvette" logo filled in.

Re-painted Navy Blue with silver accents.

Then I got to put the interior back together and get some seat skins and headliner done.

I put in C6 seats by the way, A Z06 tach and 300 MPH speedo. A bunch of vette essential interior trim and all new black carpet. Installed some LED lighting and Hydro-Graphic carbon fiber interior pieces..

Then the stereo has to be put in and eveything has to be buttoned up.

Car will need some tuning and the alignment performed. Hope to get it done for Carlisle this year but I'm not sure at this point if I am going to make it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

The body kit came off becasue of the FRC conversion as the fenders are different than that of a coupe.

The plan as it now sit is to do the following;

-Tiger Shark Nose with Chin Spoiler
-MCM Low Profile Hood (first one was damaged, waiting on a new one to ship.
-Stock front fenders.
-Specter Werkes C5R Headlights
-ACP Wide Body Rear Fenders
-ACP Custom Rocker Extensions
-ACP Wide Body Rear Fascia with molded in spoiler.

The rear fender will be shaved with no antenna and the rear fascia will the "Corvette" logo filled in.

Re-painted Navy Blue with silver accents.

Then I got to put the interior back together and get some seat skins and headliner done.

I put in C6 seats by the way, A Z06 tach and 300 MPH speedo. A bunch of vette essential interior trim and all new black carpet. Installed some LED lighting and Hydro-Graphic carbon fiber interior pieces..

Then the stereo has to be put in and eveything has to be buttoned up.

Car will need some tuning and the alignment performed. Hope to get it done for Carlisle this year but I'm not sure at this point if I am going to make it.

Ya know what?? I am not expecting to see you in April Ok well I will see you I just won't see the car yet My God man lets get a move on here. 3 years is WAY to long not to be able to drive your car

So---what else ya got that I can use Tony Sorry
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by btchn99
Ya know what?? I am not expecting to see you in April Ok well I will see you I just won't see the car yet My God man lets get a move on here. 3 years is WAY to long not to be able to drive your car

So---what else ya got that I can use Tony Sorry

I don't have too much left as you can see from my car pictures, she's pretty stripped down. By next year Tim and I will have finished up our cars and will be able to participate in group events instead of having to sit on the side lines.

Our great hope was the Nassau Blue FRC, but it ended up with a bunch of mechanical and electrical problems. At the moment it's sitting up on the lift with the whole drive train and interior gutted out.

As usual we are waiting on some parts to come in and then we'll start putting it back together piece by piece.

Hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend and we clean up a bunch of the parts and get cracking on the repairs.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Tony please avoid the SW lights... I had them for years, they're ****. If you like that look go wtih the ones made by Lewis 5 motorsports, the people that make the flared quarter panels.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I don't have too much left as you can see from my car pictures, she's pretty stripped down. By next year Tim and I will have finished up our cars and will be able to participate in group events instead of having to sit on the side lines.

Our great hope was the Nassau Blue FRC, but it ended up with a bunch of mechanical and electrical problems. At the moment it's sitting up on the lift with the whole drive train and interior gutted out.

As usual we are waiting on some parts to come in and then we'll start putting it back together piece by piece.

Hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend and we clean up a bunch of the parts and get cracking on the repairs.

Yeah I do not think I could take on so much stuff at once that it would take that long I is a VERY impatient person

But in all seriousness---she's lookin good Tony---keep up the good work
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
nextime
Drifting

What are these?

Tony please avoid the SW lights
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by nextime
What are these?
Specter Werks non-popup C5-R style headlights. Here's how my car used to look back in the day. Looked awesome from 5 feet, but the quality and fit is horrible not to mention the light output even with HIDs added.

Get notified of new replies

To ACP Coupe to FRC Conversion / Body Kit w/Pics

Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
nextime
Drifting

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of getting the DEPO lights and now I know to stay away from the brand you are talking about.

They did look very nice though.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Tony please avoid the SW lights... I had them for years, they're ****. If you like that look go wtih the ones made by Lewis 5 motorsports, the people that make the flared quarter panels.
I have tried for over a year and half to get a set of those SL5 lights. I even offered to pay in advance. His prior partner would not sell me that last set that was in stock after Scott made several attempts to get him to sell them after the split-up.

I have the latest and greatest revision of SW Lights. The new buckets etc are really made well. I had ACP (Kerry) and Company check them out and they (SW) appear to have improved the quality significantly over the past.

I wish there was a better alternative to getting my hands on a set of SL5 lights or even a set for GM C5R maker. Maybe Kerry knows who makes those lights for the GM Race Cars.

If worse comes to worse and they really suck I just chaulk it up on my loss list with the rest of my other blunders.

Originally Posted by btchn99
Yeah I do not think I could take on so much stuff at once that it would take that long I is a VERY impatient person

But in all seriousness---she's lookin good Tony---keep up the good work
Thanks, I'm just trying to keep up with you and Wayne.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Gluing down the upper tub

Well the Guys at ACP are working away on what they can while they wait on a few parts to come in.

Here are some pictures of how to glue on the upper tub to the lower tub.

Enjoy.

There is a metal brace that is glued accross the upper rear tub that gives added structual rigidity to the FRC's / Z06 and is used to help secure the roof section on at the same time.

Quick Reply: ACP Coupe to FRC Conversion / Body Kit w/Pics