Sponsored by:

Car Cover???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
GOGO-C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover???

Ant one own a car cover? Who makes the best for keeping car outside?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 PM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I use two. A tight fitting corvette cover. Any decent one will do, and then get a cheap normal cover that fits any car. Probably the best you can do. The outside cover does not last very long, weather starts degrading the cover within about 6 months. The bottom cover will last quite a bit longer.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into an Evolution 4-Layer outdoor cover. I had one on my truck when I stored it outside for a while and it protected it very well.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I had a CoverKing (the red/black one) and it was a really nice cover. Heavy duty, fit great and protected the car really well.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 PM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive got one, I Dont know what kind/type it is, it came with the car.
Actually its most likely an indoor one as its loose fitting.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I bought two recently from CCA on this forum...."Willfulone" is the guy to talk to. Mine are two tone and indoor outdoor covers. Very happy with them and he gave me a great deal! Check them out!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a garage and my vette is not a daily driver. I keep it covered when I am not driving it.

If you've never covered your car for protection outside, let me share my experiences/lessons with you. (if you already learned these lessons on your own, no need to read on..)

1) Never put the cover on a dirty car. If you do, you might as well have a cover lined with sand paper. You will get swirls, then wear marks...

2) Use a bungee cord or something else to tie the cover snug to the car. If the cover flops around in the wind, you will get swirls, then wear marks...

After a good detail with a rotary, swirl haze/remover, polish, wax and alot of elbow grease and sweat to remove alot of swirls and wear marks, I was ready for #3

3) I now cover the car with a snug fitting indoor cover (dustop) and then secure a good outside cover (superweave) over the top of that.

It would be inconvenient to do this to a daily driver, but I have had mine go through a several good storms and when the covers come off the car looks like it did when the covers went on....
Old 03-08-2008, 12:41 AM
C5lady
Instructor

Originally Posted by hattitude
I don't have a garage and my vette is not a daily driver. I keep it covered when I am not driving it.

If you've never covered your car for protection outside, let me share my experiences/lessons with you. (if you already learned these lessons on your own, no need to read on..)

1) Never put the cover on a dirty car. If you do, you might as well have a cover lined with sand paper. You will get swirls, then wear marks...

2) Use a bungee cord or something else to tie the cover snug to the car. If the cover flops around in the wind, you will get swirls, then wear marks...

After a good detail with a rotary, swirl haze/remover, polish, wax and alot of elbow grease and sweat to remove alot of swirls and wear marks, I was ready for #3

3) I now cover the car with a snug fitting indoor cover (dustop) and then secure a good outside cover (superweave) over the top of that.

It would be inconvenient to do this to a daily driver, but I have had mine go through a several good storms and when the covers come off the car looks like it did when the covers went on....
Hi,

Read your reply to this vette owner's question and just wanted you to know your advice is appreciated by this vette lady. I'm going to Pamona this Sunday and a car cover is on my "TO BUY" list. I'm hoping to find the Stormproof indoor/outdoor in 50th Anniv. color. If not, I'll get it from Eklers.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a California Car Cover. It's very high quality and fits like a glove. I have the 'stormweave' version, it's very soft on the inside and nice and tough on the outside.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Whichever cover you choose make sure you clean the car before you put it on

I covered my Camaro which then sat in the wind and rain for a few weeks. The residual grit on the inside caused serious swirl marks. The paint never recovered from the experience.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5lady
Hi,

Read your reply to this vette owner's question and just wanted you to know your advice is appreciated by this vette lady. I'm going to Pamona this Sunday and a car cover is on my "TO BUY" list. I'm hoping to find the Stormproof indoor/outdoor in 50th Anniv. color. If not, I'll get it from Eklers.
Glad to help....

I learned the hard way and the paint still isn't 100% recovered from the first two lessons learned. If I can help anyone avoid those....
Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coverking stormproof here. Been using it outside for close to 2 years. Sun faded it some but other than that it shows no signs or wear.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I had a CoverKing (the red/black one) and it was a really nice cover. Heavy duty, fit great and protected the car really well.

I have the same one but,black/yellow.Kinda pricey but,you'd
be hard pressed to find one better.Mine survived an ice-storm
if that's any indication of it's worthiness.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
GOGO-C
Advanced

Thanks for all of the replys everyone. I am in construction and travel alot. I have a work truck i work out of,and i am close enough to home that i plan to get my 98 here with me. I pull a travel trailer, and the park that i am at has alot of trees in it. My wife came to see me this weekend, and today her car caught alto of bird poo. I plan on purchaceing a cover before i bring the car here as soon as it gets out of the shop.

Agian thanks,

Chris
Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

I've got a Noah. Bought it from Corvette America. My car is always garaged so this cover is a bit of overkill. Nonetheless, I like the quality and fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Cover???

Quick Reply: Car Cover???