Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a new IPOD - Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I got an iPod2Car off of ebay a few months back. It works fine with my 5th Gen 30 gb iPod video...HOWEVER, I bought my gf an iPod nano (the new one) and for some reason, it will play the song through it, but the keys are locked out (and the iPod is not on hold either). So to change tracks we have to unplug it from the connector, change the song, then re plug it. Kind of annoying, not sure why this happens since my semi-older one works great. I don't know if thats how all of them are...but the iPod2Car is the easiest way to do this. I believe bestbuy sells something similar now-a-days. I don't have the cdchanger, it just pluges in the back of my radio and allows full control of the iPod through the radio unit (factory cd player) and charges it. Its really nice, but I wish it worked better with her newer one. Something to watch out for!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
lonelyvett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob01C5
Thanks for the info. I just got an 02 with the 12 disc changer and would be interested in something like that. Sounds simple, which is good. I don't like the thought of someone ripping apart my dash.
The install is quite simple. Unplug the wire from the trunk cd changer, plug it into the isimple adapter, and route the ipod wire from the other side all the way to the center console. This is what i did to the car. The wires arent noticeable, unless in the trunk. The isimple gives all the wires you need for those who have cd changer option. PS: Remeber to get the Isimple For GM cars. Send me a pm if you still have some quetions.

Patrick
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
lonelyvett
Instructor

Originally Posted by EdsC5
According to the isimple website, the GM adapter only works with non-CD changer equipped cars. (Right?) I also have a 12 cd changer 2000 coupe. I'd love to find an easy ipod hook up. I'm clueless about wiring, so it has to be easy to do. Do the cassete adapters sound good?
hmm... at least it works for mine.It did charge my ipod, and iphone, and i can choose songs from head unit or ipod . The sound quality is as good as CDS. I tried casset adapter and fm transictor, but im not satisfy with the sound quality at all.. . .

Patrick
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
faster68
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 Lee
I had an Alpine installed with Bluetooth and ipod connection. I didn't install for XM 'cause the ipod has all the music I need. Not the cheapest solution, but I also love way the dash looks.
What material did you use for the bezel? I love the final look!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
SinghZvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Angrybob
I assume you dont have a cassette player deck. Otherwise use the Cassette adapter
I have the CD player deck in my stock BOSE head unit and I bought a used stock BOSE head unit with the cassette player deck (cost me less than the IPOD2CAR adapter kit). I use the cassette adapter to hook my MP3 players (IPOD, sony PSP, etc.) and it works great.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
paviesVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by VetteFTW
I got an iPod2Car off of ebay a few months back. It works fine with my 5th Gen 30 gb iPod video...HOWEVER, I bought my gf an iPod nano (the new one) and for some reason, it will play the song through it, but the keys are locked out (and the iPod is not on hold either). So to change tracks we have to unplug it from the connector, change the song, then re plug it. Kind of annoying, not sure why this happens since my semi-older one works great. I don't know if thats how all of them are...but the iPod2Car is the easiest way to do this. I believe bestbuy sells something similar now-a-days. I don't have the cdchanger, it just pluges in the back of my radio and allows full control of the iPod through the radio unit (factory cd player) and charges it. Its really nice, but I wish it worked better with her newer one. Something to watch out for!
Did you try using the keys on the CD radio to advance the songs? Might be a work around instead of having to unplug the ipod everytime. My IPOD2Car will take both inputs, but sometimes it's not totally responsive with the radio controls. I have the iphone hooked up, so I just control it with the phone interface. It's possible the new nano's have a slightly different interface. Seems odd though, since they are suppose to be backwards compatible with older ipod type devices.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mahlo Guys

You guys are way too great. Mahalo (Thanks) for all the help and information. With all this info I'm off to better tunes.

DJ
in HAWAII
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC5
According to the isimple website, the GM adapter only works with non-CD changer equipped cars. (Right?) I also have a 12 cd changer 2000 coupe. I'd love to find an easy ipod hook up. I'm clueless about wiring, so it has to be easy to do. Do the cassete adapters sound good?
The I-SIMPLE works great if you have the CD-CHANGER. It is a simple plug and play. I have pictures.

quote=04VaVette]I am forwarding this to you as you were having questions about how to hook up an I-POD in your car. If you have the CD-Changer in the back its a 1 hour install. If you don't all you need is the interface cable for the CD changer. Then its plug and play. The I-SIMPLE is a very complete kit. I did these for another member who asked the same question. This is a lot better. I have had mine hooked up this way for a year with no problems. Occasionally it will loose the interface if you don't turn the power off before shutting off the car but overall its great. If it does loose the interface just play the CD for a second and then press the aux button and it will play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04VaVette
I went out and took these pictures. The I-SIMPLE model you will need is ISGM73. It cost about $89.00 when I bought it from Best Buy. The kit contains an I-POD Cradle, Interface, Interface Cable and a 12 foot I-POD cable. I installed mine in about an hour. You will need some 2 inch wide VELCRO to install yours like I did mine. You will see I keep mine in the console to deter thieves from breaking the windows to steal the I-POD. The cable is long enough to put it out the console notch by the gas door. Here are the pictures. There are nine of them. You will have to drill a hole in the console but it is small. I didn't use the I=POD cradle, I did purchase a hard cover for the I-POD. Don't worry about heat in the console. I have headers and mine doesn't get to hot a all. Good luck and if you need anymore info please let me know. This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great.

Roger

Last edited by 08 ATOMIC-Z; 04-08-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Great post. I know my next mod. Thanks for the clarification on the CD changer.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
NWtracker
Advanced

Default Bluetooth

Don't overlook bluetooth. I've installed iPod interfaces like those shown on all my cars for years but with any bluetooth enabled receiver you have more options with both iTunes and streaming Pandora.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
SeaFiveSix
Intermediate

Call Dennis at DD mods. I got an isimple ipod adapter from him that plugs into the main head unit harness and when you select cd on the head unit it accesses the ipod. I also installed a switch to keep the antenna down. Hardly ever listen to the radio now.

SeaFiveSix
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM
bluemuskets
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do not have the 12-disc changer, but is the necessary hook-up still in the trunk somewhere? If not, what's the best way for me to do this?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the same boat, I don't have a cd changer in the rear of my c5. Should I be looking for a connector back there still, or is it better to go another route.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excuse me, not trying to steal this thread, but I thought I would ask a quick question on this subject. I do not have a rear CD player, but I checked again after reading this thread, and it looks like there may be a CD connector, it was taped to the rear inside light harness like mentioned above. Is this most likely what this connector is, it has what looks like a 12 wire connector and is capped off. Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by zwaldo
in the same boat, I don't have a cd changer in the rear of my c5. Should I be looking for a connector back there still, or is it better to go another route.
changer option
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Peripher...?categoryId=-1

Originally Posted by dmarkshark
Excuse me, not trying to steal this thread, but I thought I would ask a quick question on this subject. I do not have a rear CD player, but I checked again after reading this thread, and it looks like there may be a CD connector, it was taped to the rear inside light harness like mentioned above. Is this most likely what this connector is, it has what looks like a 12 wire connector and is capped off. Thanks
no changer option
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Peripher...?categoryId=-1
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dmarkshark

Not to worry, hard to steal a 4 year old thread .
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I got my kit from Double D mods. Hooked up easily and works flawlessly since Christmas.

Get notified of new replies

To I got a new IPOD - Now What?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM
2002ZMY
Advanced

Ordered the kit from DoubleD Mods, Installed it yesterday with help from a cave man (I did it myself), works great!

And since I was in there, I fixed the dim display on the HVAC unit too.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Vetteriffic
Pro

got it also and works great....
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can anyone confirm that if you have the Bose head unit with the AUX button & the connector attached to the tail light harness (no changer) that this will work?

Quick Reply: I got a new IPOD - Now What?