Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi Junkman -

Excellent write up.

I think the more you do, the easier all of this gets, not to mention that you will build up a nice tool collection !

I found that I could do these seals without removing the axle etc.

I use a two foot length of 1"x2" lumber and a small hammer and tap all around the seal. It is just like tapping in a seal on the backside of an old-style rotor that has the tapered rollers in it - you just tap it in all the way around until it is seated fully.

On the topic of the emergency brake, the first clutch I did, I found a way to get the cable ferrule out of the bracket by using a very small screw-type hose clamp and compressing the fingers on the ferrule.

It worked, but it is much much easier to just loosen the two 15mm bracket bolts and remove the whole unit as you did.

I have that exact same pump - I want to get something that is not so prone to popping the output hose off - and less likely to make a huge mess (I had a similar experience the first time with that pump lol...)

You did a great job explaining the process - it is a good read and you took great pictures of the process.

Thanks for the excellent effort, and congrats on doing it yourself!

best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Junkman. Let me just say that to you. I am the junk and you da man
Thanks man, but if you had seen me with all that diff fluid exploded all over my face, you would have died laughing!. What a mess!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Wow, another great 'How-To' A.J....you make it seem easy.... ....Awesome pics too...
Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Thanks man, but if you had seen me with all that diff fluid exploded all over my face, you would have died laughing!. What a mess!
Dude, TRUST ME, I KNOW the feeling I wrench on my own car
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent!

And a write-up that was entertaining to read.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Well done....Well done and written with humor ...makes a lot better reading than a service manual.....Thanks for your effort and the pix....Will print this one...
Tom C
Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mqqn
...I have that exact same pump - I want to get something that is not so prone to popping the output hose off - and less likely to make a huge mess (I had a similar experience the first time with that pump lol...)...

We live and we learn, don't we!

Thanks Andy. You're right about the tool collection getting bigger along with my nerve to attempt this stuff. It does feel good to do it yourself as I learned a ton about how that whole area works. It is really quite simple when it is all said and done. Thanks to guys like yourself with the encouragement and knowledge, I have become quite the tinkler!

Originally Posted by Z06-JIM
Wow, another great 'How-To' A.J....you make it seem easy.... ....Awesome pics too...
Thanks Jim, but I'm staying away from your dash mods!!! Those scare the crap outta me!

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Dude, TRUST ME, I KNOW the feeling I wrench on my own car

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
Excellent!

And a write-up that was entertaining to read.
Thanks Don.

Originally Posted by tlc0706
Well done....Well done and written with humor ...makes a lot better reading than a service manual.....Thanks for your effort and the pix....Will print this one...
Tom C
You're right, that service manual IS a dry read!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, thank you! That is a fantastic write up. Is there any chance a mod can move this thread can to the tech tips section?

beer's on me if we ever meet, just in appreciation of the work you did bringing this to everyone
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Billy182
Wow, thank you! That is a fantastic write up. Is there any chance a mod can move this thread can to the tech tips section?

beer's on me if we ever meet, just in appreciation of the work you did bringing this to everyone
Just giving back Billy, to those who have given to me.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
I had a similar incident, but then went out and bought a couple of fuel hose clamps to prevent the hose from poping off.

That stuff is so thick, it really creates a lot pressure. Plus you need one pump for the rear (differential) and one for the tranny fluid as you can never really clean those pumps up once you use them.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
jss812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great write-up Junkman.

Looks like you decided to remove the axle completely after partial disassembly. Might I offer a suggestion? If you know before you start that you are going to remove them, try removing the wheel centers and remove that nut before you pick the car up. Although I've never removed the vette axle, that's how I do my 4x4 fronts (no lock out hubs, big nut to remove). I also torque it after putting the tire back on and putting it on the ground. Makes life a little easier.

I replaced mine about a week ago, but went a step further and fixed the covers also (mine weren't leaking but figured I'd do that while I had it apart). I can tell you that you've had no fun until you do that.........
Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Great write up Junkman. I have this one bookmarked hoping to never have to refer to it. Thanks for going to all the trouble to shoot pics and then come and put it all together for the rest of us.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jss812
Great write-up Junkman.

Looks like you decided to remove the axle completely after partial disassembly. Might I offer a suggestion? If you know before you start that you are going to remove them, try removing the wheel centers and remove that nut before you pick the car up. Although I've never removed the vette axle, that's how I do my 4x4 fronts (no lock out hubs, big nut to remove). I also torque it after putting the tire back on and putting it on the ground. Makes life a little easier.

I replaced mine about a week ago, but went a step further and fixed the covers also (mine weren't leaking but figured I'd do that while I had it apart). I can tell you that you've had no fun until you do that.........
At first, I was planning on doing it the way Cajun Dude did his. Once I got to the part where you replace the seal, I found it hard to do anything up in that small area. I'm not a a small guy so it was kinda hard fitting up in the wheel well. Once I decided to take everything apart, I didn't look at the manual first and disassembled stuff out of order. That was the cause of me having to totally disassemble everything.

I know now! If I ever have to do the covers, I'll probably pull the entire differential out of the car. That job looks crazy trying to do it while the differential is in the car. You have much more patience than I!

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Great write up Junkman. I have this one bookmarked hoping to never have to refer to it. Thanks for going to all the trouble to shoot pics and then come and put it all together for the rest of us.
Eddie, I promise not to wish this repair upon you! But if you have to experience it, buy the pizza's and I'll help.

You know, I just realized that I forgot to add the step to remove the brake caliper. Back to the edit button!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 04-12-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

nice job AJ and great write up

oak
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oaks99
nice job AJ and great write up

oak
Thanks Oaks, it was fun!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 PM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.

Grate post, this will help out a ton of people.

Grate job,

Paul G.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Output Shaft Seal (Leaky Butt) Fix by The Junkman

Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oorah! Fantastic write-up! Don't have the problem, yet, but I'm subscribing to this thread for the day that I do. Thanks!!

Vaughn
Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Now THAT is a writeup!!! I wish I had a leaky butt just so I could have a reason to follow this writeup!

You know, writeups aren't supposed to be so good that they make one wish their car was broken!

Say..... how much for one of those pizzas?? Might just have to fly down to wherever you're at, just to grab one! It looks delish!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by unionlandlord
Grate post, this will help out a ton of people.

Grate job,

Paul G.
Thanks Paul.

Originally Posted by SeaLawyer
Oorah! Fantastic write-up! Don't have the problem, yet, but I'm subscribing to this thread for the day that I do. Thanks!!

Vaughn
Hey Vaughn, I've subscribed to so may threads with the same premise in mind that I had to get a search function for my bookmarks!

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
Now THAT is a writeup!!! I wish I had a leaky butt just so I could have a reason to follow this writeup!

You know, writeups aren't supposed to be so good that they make one wish their car was broken!

Say..... how much for one of those pizzas?? Might just have to fly down to wherever you're at, just to grab one! It looks delish!
Jason, that's the best, cheapest pizza for less than $10 that I partake of! To think that a frozen pizza could be so good! Bring your drinks and fly on down!

Quick Reply: DIY: Output Shaft Seal (Leaky Butt) Fix by The Junkman