Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to take minor blemishes out of polished wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default How to take minor blemishes out of polished wheels?

How to take minor blemishes out of polished wheels? I just got some CCW Classics and not in quite as good of shape as hoped/expected, just wondering how I go about taking some of the minor blemishes out of them. Little nicks/dings here and there, no major curb rash or anything.

TIA.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your local Yellow Pages. There are shops you can take your rims to that will make um like new. Some will even come to you. Good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If they're not clear coated (powder coat or paint), you can use stepped stages of black oxide or emery sand paper to refinish, then re-polish by machine or hand with your favorite metal polishing product. I prefer WENOL, but there's BLUE MAGIC, SEMI CHROME, FLITZ and other products. Read the label to determine the grit in the polish.
Depending on the severity of the damage/imperfections, you might start with 220, 320 or 400 grit (coarse is lower number) and move up through 2000 grit or finer.
As recommended, if the damage is beyond what you're comfortable in handling, professional shops exist that can do the job for you.
I do this regularly with components on stainless firearms and they come out looking like chrome.
Aluminum will take regular polishing depending on the conditions to maintain them, unless you chose to have the wheels clear coated.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 05-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Back up top for some more advice/suggestions. There has got to be an easier way, I've been scrubbing/sanding about 8 hours on only 2 wheels and the lips still aren't perfect.

How much are new barrels from CCW (classics)?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi BADMFR -

I would just contact John or Chip at CCW and I would bet you that they would be willing to help you out for a nominal fee......

I am not sure how close you are, but I think they are in the Orlando area.

With aluminum wheels that are simply polished, not clear coated, you can sand the wheels with progressively finer grits, and then polish.

I have never had to do this to my CCW's, my problems have been just oxidation and cream polishes have done the trick for me.

Great wheels though, and a great company that will actually care that you have the product and need help.

Please post a picture when you get them on!!!!

Best Regards -

mqqn
Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

3M makes a nice product called "Sandblaster" It is a sponge that shapes to your wheels. I used the large in fine which is 320 grit to get rid of the big scratches and gouges in my wheels. Then I used polish to get rid of the scratches left behind by the sponge.

I started with some CCWs that had been severely neglected. These are the only pics I can find.

This was round one. They look even better now.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi Cozmo -

Nice!

You just have to put on the elbow-grease lol....

Well worth the effort though.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Hey BADMFR, ask Cosmo how many hours he has in his wheels..
They certainly look terrific though...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 AM
DRKMATTER
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I curbed one of my polished (non-coated) wheels once, it was pretty deep and nasty. I actually thought I'd have to replace it, instead I grabbed some 1500 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Spent about an hour on it and then finished with Mothers and I'd offer ANYONE $100 to be able to locate the original damaged area...even I can't find it.

Wetsanding is the way to go brother (if the wheel isn't out-of-round)...it does take time but the results are amazing. You must always finish with a metal polish though...mothers, wenol and the like.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

COZMO-You're HIRED. I don't pay for shi1t though!

The level of neglect your wheels suffered are not quite to the extent mine did... I don't think they were ever cleaned. And all four of my wheels were as bad or worse than this one pictured...

Proof is in the puddin.. Before

After...

Not bad for a rookie, but I want to get that mirror shine in mine too. I used a fine wire wheel in my drill, then 320 sandpaper handsanding, then wet sand with 320, then take a scotch brite in my drill to smooth a bit, then 1000 grit wetsanding. Then I used some metal polish. Guess I need to go the extra mile and use 2000 grit to get it really shining, but I'm just trying to get these into good enough condition to put on my car at this point. Somewhere down the line I'll pull them again and give them another once over.

Get notified of new replies

To How to take minor blemishes out of polished wheels?

Quick Reply: How to take minor blemishes out of polished wheels?