Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything wrong with a Aftermarket windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Default Is there anything wrong with a Aftermarket windshield?

I have a 99 Targa w/HUD. Is there any reason I can't go with a Aftermarket windshields. They said that it has the antenae in it. Will the HUD work properly? or anything else I need to know about?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The definitive answer is "maybe".

Some people have put regular (non HUD) windshields in and report their HUD looks fine.

Others have reported that they see varying degrees of double HUD images.

It's a crap shoot. A guy posted that in order to cut costs the Cadillac line was testing regular windshields (stock windshields not specificaly made for HUD vehicles) and found that a good proportion were reflective enough to work well with their HUD. They ID'ed the good ones, sent those to HUD equipped cars and sent the rest to non-HUD cars.

Another guy did state that they do insert a small layer inside the HUD windshields, so they are apparently different from the non HUD windshields for the corvette.

Many people add the HUD unit to previously non-HUD (used) cars and report that they love it and it works fine.

Use the search function to get an idea of how many "went well" and how many "were problematic" (but bear in mind that people are a lot more likely to post if they have a problem than if things work well, thats just human nature, so the incidence of problems always appears to be higher than it actually is when looking at posts on an internet forum).

I take it you dont have full glass coverage, or you probably wouldnt be looking into this. I have full coverage, so it goes without saying that I would make sure it was a HUD windshield on their dime. If I was paying for it myself.......I might still get the HUD one. I think the regular one would have an excellent chance of working fine with the HUD, but I love the HUD and would kick myself if it didnt work out for me.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jistari; 06-02-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there anything wrong with a Aftermarket windshield?