NXT STEP PERFORMANCE vs. Granatelli cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default NXT STEP PERFORMANCE vs. Granatelli cat-back

After reading some recent and older threads I found through the Search, I'm thinking about replacing the Z06 Ti's on Mrs. Patches' '02 A4 with the Granatelli-style exhaust to beef up the exhaust note a bit and have looked at the Granatelli system on the GMS web site and the auction site version as well. I spoke with GMS and their price is somewhat higher; they did offer to discount their retail price although it's still a bit more than the other system. I missed out on the recent GP so I'm stuck either paying the current discounted price, waiting for another GP to come along or buy the other system.

Some seem to think these are identical systems but a quick comparison reveals some significant diferences. The Granatelli's boast 4" tips while the other version 3.5". The Granatelli's tip sections are a separated from the muffler can sections giving one more degree of freedom for adjustment. The Granatelli's (according to the Granatelli rep I spoke with) are 409 SS while the other version is 304 SS.

On the other hand, I've heard the clamps suk on both systems so an upgrade is a given before installation. I've installed lots of different brands of cat-backs on C5 over the years and I have a lift so I'm not worried about installation but I certainly don't want to be tweaking the cat-back every other month for alignment so tacking the joints may be an option.

Question to those who have either of these systems:

1. Are you still liking yours and which version do you have?

2. Anybody been able to do a closer comparison between these two systems and do the auction site version hold up to scrutinity up close? Is the extra cost of the Granatelli's justified?

3. Was service or packaging a problem on your particular version? Anyone have to return their system due to damage, missing pieces or poor quality and what was your experience?

4. Any regrets?

Here are shots of the two versions.

Granatelli

NXT STEP PERFORMANCE
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
bobsride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed
Please search my posts of last week and follow the trails of the Granatelli Exhaust install.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions

Bob
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They're basically the exact same system. They have small, subtle differences to make each other "different". They are packed in the exact same box.

Oh, I have the NXT version and it is great. I've had it on for more than 6 months.

Last edited by VinnyT; 06-03-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

I got the nxt steps and I couldn't be any happier.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
The Granatelli's (according to the Granatelli rep I spoke with) are 409 SS while the other version is 304 SS.
Not according to their (granatelli) website. It says T-304. Either their website needs updating, or the rep was trying to make a sale.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The chinese setup which I guess is now being called NXT Step has always looked to me like a set of Borla Stinger mufflers with Corsa pro-tips... a pretty awesome combo.

FYI Stingers are only 2 parts each. There is the over axel pert that bends outward, then the muffler and tip section. Not a big deal with the twin tip design, but for the 4 tip design it might be beneficial to have the greater adjustment with the Granatellis.

That said, more joints = more points for movement. I know my stingers stay put when I allign them.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Bob, I did read your threads on your Granatelli install and appreciate your assessment.

RJ, I agree that there is some inconsistency with the material called out versus what I was told. He also told me resonance is generated by the intake system. I have had several exhausts on my M6 over the years and I can say for a fact that a change in exhaust using the same intake would generate or eliminate resonance.

Brian, I was apprehensive about these because I ran a set of Borla Stingers for a while in my M6 h/c car and had to ultimately rip them out due to the extreme resonance I experienced. I swapped in the Ti's with a set of cutouts and no more resonance. From what I've read here, though, these new systems don't seem to be plagued by that problem. I agree that more joints increases the chance for re-occurring misalignment but the right clamps can keep everything in place. Tack welding would not bother me if I found it was necessary.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have had mine for over a year now and love them. I got them from granatelli on a group purchase.

The only downsides I experienced were :

1) the packaging isn't the greatest... the box on mine was actually coming apart a bit and I didn't notice it at the time, but one of the tips had a slight nick where the box was coming apart there and it hit on something. so there is a slight imperfection on one of my tips, but it wasn't too bad, so instead of going through all the hassle I just kept it.

2) the clamps were suspect. I had mine installed at LG motorsports, and they installed some different clamps on there for me at no charge while doing the install.

other than those 2 small things, I love the system. quiet until you step on it. it has gotten a bit deeper over time (just slightly) as it has broken in. no issues with any popping or anything on decel on my A4.

I think you'll be happy with either option you choose.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

These 2 systems are the one in the same. Nxt Stp is the SUPPLIER to you know who. Makes no difference who you get it from, only difference will be the price. I've done research on this as well.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 06-04-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM
berryvette
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

What is the price difference between the two?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM
bobsride
Racer

The system sounds great. I had welded the seams after it was installed. The clamps where cheap. I have to look at the total dollars saved vs the time expended.

If I knew then what I kno0w now....

My biggest complaint was the poor customer service from Granatelli. I expected more..

I would think that after all the comments that have been going back and forth some one from Granatelli would have jumped in and responded.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
MARC C5
Advanced

Default Granatelli Or Nxt Step

I Was Considering One Of The Two Systems And They Look Exactly The Same. Thanks For The Info
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
These 2 systems are the one in the same. Nxt Stp is the SUPPLIER to you know who. Makes no difference who you get it from, only difference will be the price. I've done research on this as well.
If the specs on their web sites can be believed, there is a bit of difference - the NXT STEP tips are 3.5" while the Granatelli claims 4" tips. Are you saying the tips are identical in diameter? Also, the pics show more components per side to the Granatelli version.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmm. Well, just took a gander at my system and it is EXACTLY like the Granatelli. I also got an earlier version of the NXT system. The "new" NXT system shows the welded tip pipe to the muffler. It could have been a conflict of interest between the two sellers. NXT might had to have tweaked their version for legal reasons.

As for the tips, it is 3.5" across, but will measure 4" from top to bottom(due to the slash-cut)

Last edited by VinnyT; 06-04-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Vinny. The only difference that remains, then, is the extra adjustment the separate tip sections offer. I actually had to exchange my Borlas due to misalignment of one side from the factory due to poor fixturing during a production run and that extra degree of adjustment would have made all the difference. I guess it comes down to trusting that they will come in true.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by berryvette
What is the price difference between the two?
About$75.00 if I remember correctly .
I bought mine from Granatelli and i really love them so far. I installed them about 6 weeks ago and they sound great, I'm very happy with them. I spoke directly to Joe Granatelli, he did'nt lie to me BUT he did'nt tell me the whole story either . Nxt Step and Granatelli ARE the same system from China in a cheap cardboard box that was torn and taped up till it got to my house. Mine is 304 stainless, I know because I work with stainless everyday and I tested it at work Mine also had the upgraded SS band clamps, so they have changed that for the better. My only mistake was beliving Joey G. Call both Nxt step and GMS and buy from who ever gives the better deal IMHO.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:49 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Default Borla stingers Vs. these two systems

How does the Borla stingers compare to these two systems?

I like the look of all three but would like to go with the most agressive sounding one.
Let me know
Fireman591

Get notified of new replies

To NXT STEP PERFORMANCE vs. Granatelli cat-back

Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fireman591

I like the look of all three but would like to go with the most agressive sounding one.
Let me know
Fireman591
From what I've heard from other forum members they sound very, very similar. Stingers tend to have a reputation for that dreaded drone and this system is somewhat less. At 1500 RPM , I get just a slight increase in cabin noise, but I would'nt call it a drone. But as I posted before ,this system is only a few weeks old and prolly will get a little louder. I still like the sound better than anything else I've heard ( Magnaflow, Corsa) plus it was about 1/2 the price of the major brands.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman591

Let me know
Fireman591
I have Stingers on the car now and had the NXT Stp system before. The sound is very, very similar as the muffler are the same style. There is NO drone in the car with either system. The only REAL difference I see is the tips. NXt Stp's tips are 3.5" x 4" due to the slash cut. Stingers a true 4" round tips.

Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Both have a great aggressive sound and both have really good looking tips. It's just a matter of which you prefer and price.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
borkg2006
Instructor

Installed my Granatelli cat-back about a month ago. A couple issues and fixes which may save any future buyers some headaches:

ISSUE:
Put the right (pass) side in first and everything went well until it came time to really tighten the included clamps. As they’re tightened, the metric nuts move inside the curl of the bracket and my socket wouldn't stay on them.
FIX:Went to Lowes (Home Depot doesn’t stock them ) and bought 6 STAINLESS STEEL 10 mm metric flat washers and six 3/8” STAINLESS STEEL split lock-washers. The 3/8” splits are just a bit too small so put them in your bench vice and open them up (just a bit) with a screwdriver and hammer so they’ll fit over the bolts on the included clamps. Using both the flat washer and lock-washer now allows your socket to remain fully engaged on the nut/clamp until it is completely tight. Using a deep-well socket will help also.
FIX: Before you put the “new” clamps assemblies onto the pipes, put them in your bench vise and tighten them down the WHOLE WAY to set the center curved spacer over the knurl on the bolt. This way you’re not trying to force this piece down onto the knurl while tightening the bracket assembly on the car where clearances etc. are tight. This center spacer has a flat side and a curved side. Make sure the curved side is going to be against the pipe.

ISSUE:
Once I had the right (pass) side on and completely tightened I started on the left (driver) side. BTW, I used my DREMEL with a quick-change metal blade to cut off the stock system. It ate about 6 blades but was really quite easy. Tomorrow the trash man will be the proud owner of a 2001, C5 exhaust system. Anyway, back to the left side. I did this one exactly the same way and sequence I used on the right side – BUT – when I got everything aligned as closely and tightly as I could, the left side tip stuck out nearly 1 ½” further than the left side.
FIX: This one really wore me out – it took the better part of 2 hours. I loosened all 3 clamps on the right side and tried to get that one to “stick out the back” further and gained about ½”. By fiddle farting around for with the left side I moved it in-board about ½” so they now look pretty good. Not perfect but “OK” .

My wife looked at them and said, as usual,
“You’re way too **** about this sh**it. They look fine. Nobody will every notice the difference unless you point it out to them, which you probably will, being the **** retentive a-hole you are.” She’s cute like that.

ISSUE: Most had residual “glue” on them either from shipping to me or the bulk transit from China.
Most, also, had tool oil residue on them.
FIX: I first removed as much of the above as I could using Goo-Gone but any thinner or lighter fluid will do.
I then started “cleaning” each piece using my old friend Brasso and a rag. This wasn’t working well so I switched to 000 steel wool which worked much better. There are a lot of tool marks and residual oil/grease that I feel should be cleaned off before installing. This also cleaned up the over-flash on most of the welds. As you probably surmised, I’m real **** retentive about starting with clean, shiny parts. The welds all look to be well done but none have the over-flash cleaned off which the Brasso & steel wool takes right off.
Anyway, I strongly suggest everyone clean the entire system before attempting to install it. There’s a lot of glue, residual tool oil, etc. on the pipes that shouldn’t be there and will, when hot, either smoke or smell.

Wasn't too tired to take one quick burn run though. The sound is great and you can't beat the price.

Quick Reply: NXT STEP PERFORMANCE vs. Granatelli cat-back