Sponsored by:

Problems with windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:35 AM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with windshield replacement

Had a new windshield installed by the local corvette dealership here in Germany. Unfortunately not the most experienced one, when it comes to working on C5 Corvettes as they made a total mess out of my car and damaged most everything they removed for the install.
Anyway I gave them my VIN number and made sure that the correct part number was ordered for my ’02 Z06 with Hud. The PN that was ordered is 10315114. That is also the part number that arrived at the dealership. It is supposed to be the thinner 4.8mm glass for HUD equipped cars.
The glass looks the same as the one pictured below except for the 4.8mm remark. I know my old windshield also had the 4.8mm remark too.

I’m worried now that somehow I did not receive an actual thinner windshield due to the missing info on it. I just don’t get it, the part number is the correct one, but the 4.8mm marking is missing. So, is this a regular thicker C5 windscreen?
Does anyone have info, if the thinner windshields don’t necessarily have to have the 4.8mm marking? ?
The next thing is, they damaged most everything they removed in order to install the new windshield (eg. window seals!). Luckily I noticed that before picking up the car. They gonna replace the broken window seals as far as they told me yesterday. The problem now is, since they really screwed it up, I don't trust they install work at all anymore. I'm fearing that the new windscreen will leak due to poor install work. Is there any way at all for me, to make sure that the work was done properly ?
Appreciate your help, the dealerships here in Germany make my life miserable. :
Thanks for your help.
Alex
Old 06-21-2008, 07:24 AM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If your close to Bitburg these guys do good work. Good Luck!

http://www.heister-gruppe.de/autohau...burg/index.php

http://www.heister-gruppe.de/
Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 AM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Thanks for the link, unfortunately I'm nowhere near bitburg, plus I really do have to work this out with this dealer for now. Don't have a choice.
I went back to the dealship today and here is what happened. They agreed to change out the
complete weather-stripping but can’t get the windshield issue straight. They insist that the part that came in had the correct stock number as listed for the Z06. 10315114
I even had them show me their papers and saw that they received the windshield with the correct pt. number as stated above.
I didn’t get a picture of the new windshield, but here is the complete info that is on it. The stencil itself looks exactly like pictures above execpt for the info on it....

E6
43R-009047
SHADED HUD
SOLAR RAY
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS1
AP TECH.
LAMISAFE
DOT 376 M334

Definitely no Z06 specific thinner windshield due to the missing 4.8mm info. Just a regular OEM windshield with HUD support.
I really like to hear your thoughts about this. Possible that the manufacturer labelled the windshield with the wrong pt. number or maybe put the wrong windshield in the wrong packing box ?
Or has GM decided to replace the thinner 4.8mm windshield for regular thick coupe windshields.
To me that would make no sense at all. If that would have been the cause, I’m sure GM would have also replaced the current pt. number with the regular coupe windshield pt. number, instead of shipping out the same windshield for both numbers, no matter what part number you order.
Again, I would really appreciate it, if someone with more ability to find out about this, could give me some more info on this.
Thanks again
Alex
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 AM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I think this (43R-009047) means it's different. I'd PM Gene Culley, a supporting vendor and get his opinion. Personally I'd prefer the thicker windshield, less apt to crack, but I understand you wanting what the car had from the factory. Please keep us posted. David
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck,I would stand there with them to make sure they didn't screw up anything else.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by EBM_Z06
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I'm nowhere near bitburg, plus I really do have to work this out with this dealer for now. Don't have a choice.
I went back to the dealship today and here is what happened. They agreed to change out the
complete weather-stripping but can’t get the windshield issue straight. They insist that the part that came in had the correct stock number as listed for the Z06. 10315114
I even had them show me their papers and saw that they received the windshield with the correct pt. number as stated above.
I didn’t get a picture of the new windshield, but here is the complete info that is on it. The stencil itself looks exactly like pictures above execpt for the info on it....

E6
43R-009047
SHADED HUD
SOLAR RAY
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS1
AP TECH.
LAMISAFE
DOT 376 M334

Definitely no Z06 specific thinner windshield due to the missing 4.8mm info. Just a regular OEM windshield with HUD support.
I really like to hear your thoughts about this. Possible that the manufacturer labelled the windshield with the wrong pt. number or maybe put the wrong windshield in the wrong packing box ?
Or has GM decided to replace the thinner 4.8mm windshield for regular thick coupe windshields.
To me that would make no sense at all. If that would have been the cause, I’m sure GM would have also replaced the current pt. number with the regular coupe windshield pt. number, instead of shipping out the same windshield for both numbers, no matter what part number you order.
Again, I would really appreciate it, if someone with more ability to find out about this, could give me some more info on this.
Thanks again
Alex
That is the windshield the glass shop put in my Z last year. They did not order from GM. When I went to them I asked if they had a different part number for the Z because of the thinner windshield and they said their computer had it listed separately. I don't know for sure whether it is the correct windshield but it could be the manufacturer (not GM) has cut back on part numbers and no matter what car you have you get the same windshield.

Bill
Old 06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex,

I have answered your email as well, but thought I would answer here also.

The # 10315114 is the only windshield from GM available for the C5 Z06, and happens to also be the same windshield as used in the convertible with HUD. GM Parts has made this part substitution effective in Feb 2002 for all of the service windshilds. In going to the convertible glass part number which is thicker and therefore stronger. This is probably the reason the numbers on the glass do not match. Your dealer did order the correct glass by service application for you, it is just bad they screwed up on the installation.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with windshield replacement

Quick Reply: Problems with windshield replacement