Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake only holding in one direction???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake only holding in one direction???

I have owned my current corvette for less than a year, (99 manual coupe)and I dont know all of the in's and out's of this vehicle yet, so I am hoping that someone can help me out with this.

Yesterday I parked my vette with the car facing in a downhill direction, and set the brake. While getting ready to get out of the car, I left my foot off the normal brake but still had the clutch pushed in and I noticed the car drifting foward. At this point I thought the brake needed adjusted or repaired.

Later in the evening I parked it again and set the brake just to see if it was sticking or something the previous time. This time the parking brake worked. The only difference was now my car was parked on a uphill slope.

I repeated this again just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke and got the same results. Parking brake works when car is parked on a incline, but doesn't hold when parked on a decline. I had a friend tell me that this is normal in some cars, but I never had one what worked like that.

Any ideas on what is going on here would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm waiting to hear something on this myself.Got mine in January and my P B is a little weak as well.I too figure it needs an adjustment as the lever seems to pull all the way up with marginal results.Good thing it's a stick and can park in gear as well!! Do the C5s still have the small brake shoes inside the rear disc or do they now just have a mahual application of the rear caliper?

Last edited by itzza427; 06-26-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

My previous corvette was a C3 and it had the small pads inside the rear discs. I am not sure about the C5 though. The fact that mine holds in one direction, but not the other leads me to believe there is some type of secondary system for the parking brake. Hopefully someone will know the details.

Last edited by brntstauf; 06-26-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: named the wrong part
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

If I am correct the brake should work in both directions. I think it is the same as a drum brake, but smaller.
I have an automatic and it is rare that I ever use mine. When I had my stick It was either in 1st or Reverse and the E brake appied. Always worked both ways.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

My local state inspection place failed me last year because my brake didn't hold it at a certain RPM level. To tell the truth I don't think I've ever pulled the handle let alone worried about using it the brake.

So when I took it apart to replace the pads thinking they were worn out, they had all kinds of life left. I then adjusted them (turn the screw, pretty simple) until just the rotor wouldn't turn freely, and then backed them off a little. I was just hoping to make it stick for the test then I was going to back it all all the way to keep them from rubbing while driving normally.

After all that, when I pulled back in to get it inspected, a different testor was there and the guy doesn't even check it, he just signs the stupid form and sends me on my way... so it was kind of a waste of time but at least I can post this picture now.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

Thanks Vette-Dream,

That sheds some light on the subject. It appears the C5 system is very simular to the C3 system, which I have worked on in the past. It is still a mystery to me why it would work in one direction and not the other. I guess unless anyone else has some more ideas, the only thing to do is tear it apart and find out the hard way
Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
QuickZ06
Advanced

It only needs to be adjusted, this is what they do when they are out of adjustment.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
brntstauf
Intermediate

Thanks, I am planning on taking the rear tires off this weekend and taking a look / adjusting.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Purdone
Racer

I would always park your car in gear, even after adjusting your brake.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake only holding in one direction???

Quick Reply: Parking brake only holding in one direction???